Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 6, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #2,776 of 9,653
Thanks. Do you think open cans are mainly for classical, jazz, acoustic?
They just have no deep subbass like in Electronica and other modern Genres. Classic Rock like Deep Purple or Pink Floyd is no problem though. Simply not for ultra bassheads.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #2,777 of 9,653
To come close to the clarity of headphones on speakers, the room must be large enough and of the right shape, the speakers and listener positions must be chosen carefully. Ideally the speakers and the listener have to be far from the walls and even some acoustic room treatment has to be used.
But on the other hand, the sense of scale of loudspeakers is impossible to reproduce on headphone, the headphone and speaker sounds are two completely different experiences.

That totally sums it up.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,778 of 9,653
"One has to realize that ‘finer details’ are not found in the upper treble (related to rise-time) but are actually in the 2kHz to 5kHz range, where the ears are most sensitive. The HD660S has about 3dB less signal there which is audible. For that reason the HD600 and HD650, both having a higher level there, can be found to show slightly more ‘finer’ detail or the other way around the HD660S lacking somewhat.."

THAT is exactly what I have been trying to explain by saying, that when switching to the 600/650 after listening to the 660s, they appear harsh in the high mids/low treble (though we KNOW they are not). The 660s is just simply not as present in the upper mids/low treble as the other ones.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #2,779 of 9,653
Thanks. Do you think open cans are mainly for classical, jazz, acoustic?
It’s true that they are very good at those genres (which cover most of what I listen to) but are also excellent at many others. They would probably not be the first choice where extreme bass power is a high priority. Closed phones would be better.

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #2,780 of 9,653
I spent a week with the HD 600, HD 660S, and the HD 700, comparing, contrasting, and trying to decide which one too keep. I'm powering them through a Magni 3 / Modi 2 U stack.

HD 660S vs HD 600 - The vocals feel more intimate and focused on the HD 600. The HD 600 feels more magical/musical to my ears. The HD660s push the vocals back a bit and gives some attention to the treble, and this makes the sound more balanced overall. The HD660S has a bit better soundstage, and more clarity. The 660S had tighter, more punchy bass as well as higher quality treble.
The HD 660 is 150ohm v the 300ohm of the HD600. I noticed the HD 600 opens up more when I turn the amp up. The HD660S started to get shouty, and I found it best with low gain on the Magni 3.
The HD600 sounded magical and encapsulating when given more power (high gain, bout 12 oclock and under).
I enjoyed the sound of the HD 600 more. I found myself sinking into the music and didn't want to take them off; that's how I knew they were good. When I had the HD 660S on, I was focused on the brighter treble and couldn't enjoy myself. Your results may vary.
I would like to point out that they do sound somewhat similar, but there is a difference. If the HD650 is the darker headphone of the family and the HD 600 is the neutral, then the HD660S is the brighter child of the family.
The HD660S has more comfy ear pads as they are a bit more spacious. For kicks, I swapped the pads on the HD 600 with the HD660 and vice versa..it ruined the sound of both. The HD600 sounded off, and the HD 660s sounded muffled. I didn't know pads played such a big role in the sound of a headphone.
To me, the HD 600 felt more magical. I was able to enjoy the music and it never really got shouty at me when I crank it up. Is the HD 660S better? Technically yes, but I didn't fully enjoy it's sound vs the 600s. It did perform better with some EDM and rock due to the quicker transients and better clarity.
Like a few have said before, the HD 660S is the technically superior headphone, but maybe 10%/15% difference. $500? Wait for the inevitable price drop. Some may not like the brighter nature of this headphone. I didn't.

HD 600/660S vs HD 700 - The HD 700 is an interesting headphone. In the comfort category, the HD 700 wins by a mile. The soft "pleather?" makes it feel like your ears are resting on clouds. The ear pads are shaped like a D, allowing a more natural fit.

Sound: The soundstage of the HD 700 is impressive, it is vast and accurate. It worked really well in gaming, movies, and live performances recordings.
The treble spike. Yup it's there, but the sound does get better if you EQ down 5900 a bit. (I did -7db at 5 Q, and bumped 2500 by 1db with a 4Q in Peace). Flipping back and forth between EQ on/off revealed just how annoying the treble spike is, especially in rock music with alot of cymbal. "chhh chhh chhh chhhhh" it sounded very artificial and annoying.
The mids. Well they feel a bit scooped out. I imagine this is what creates the big soundstage, scooped mids and higher treble, but I'm no expert.
I gave the HD 700 a chance, and I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't. The HD 6XX line just sounded more natural and pleasing to my ears while the HD 700 sounded distant and artificial, and at times fatiguing.
It's ironic that the HD 700 is very comfortable, but it has a somewhat fatiguing sound.

I snap ordered the HD 660S after hearing a couple Youtube reviewers stating that it's an upgrade to the HD 600s. That they'd be selling their HD 600s off. Well it is by 10%/15%, but for me the gained clarity was not worth sacrificing some "magic". It was also a bit too bright.

If you love the HD 650s, I'm not so sure you'd like these. As it's like going from the dark spectrum of the family to the bright end. Headphones are heavily based on personal preference so the only way to find out is to try them yourself. I'd wait for a price drop though.

I ended up keeping the HD 600s and I think I'm going to pick up a more appropriate amp for 300ohm headphones.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2,781 of 9,653
Thanks. Looking forward to it!

I think I owe Tyll an apology. At first, I was very impressed with the added beef in the mids through upper bass of the 660s (1k and below). I heard more detail in that area than with the 600/6xx, with a slightly wider soundstage. Now, after comparing with studio monitors (trying to hear which of the 3 sounded closest to the speakers), I fear I've been fooled. The Mids through Upper Bass are actually a bit TOO strong. So much so, that some treble detail gets lost. Which affects depth and dynamic clarity. There is MORE veil on the 660s than the 600/6xx, and the person that stated that there was 2-3 db less in between 2-5khz, was DEAD ON. It now DOES have a sennheiser veil. Crazy. - While the added tone of the 660s sounds good, and can initially impress you enough to think they are a better version of the 600/6xx, the other pairs are more accurate from the middle mids through the treble, and are WAY closer to my speakers than the 660s (actually very close. Which is why I love the 600/6xx). I really like the 660s, and I initially thought they were better than the 600 & 6xx, but now I'm not so sure. - I cry...:sweat:

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #2,782 of 9,653
I think I owe Tyll an apology. At first, I was very impressed with the added beef in the mids through upper bass of the 660s (1k and below). I heard more detail in that area than with the 600/6xx, with a slightly wider soundstage. Now, after comparing with studio monitors (trying to hear which of the 3 sounded closest to the speakers), I fear I've been fooled. The Mids through Upper Bass are actually a bit TOO strong. So much so, that some treble detail gets lost. Which affects depth and dynamic clarity. There is MORE veil on the 660s than the 600/6xx, and the person that stated that there was 2-3 db less in between 2-5khz, was DEAD ON. It now DOES have a sennheiser veil. Crazy. - While the added tone of the 660s sounds good, and can initially impress you enough to think they are a better version of the 600/6xx, the other pairs are more accurate from the middle mids through the treble, and are WAY closer to my speakers than the 660s (actually very close. Which is why I love the 600/6xx). I really like the 660s, and I initially thought they were better than the 600 & 6xx, but now I'm not so sure. - I cry...:sweat:

Sadly I came to the same conclusion with them, it wasn't compared to the HD 650 at the time, but rather the Amiron and a modded DT 480, but I noticed while the added beef is really nice, clarity and transparency does seem to be affected and I didn't recall the HD 650 lacking in ultimate transparency, trying the HD 650 now has only confirmed to me the HD 660 S sacrifices some transparency for the extra body, it's why I'm conflicted by the headphone, I love it's sound signature but it always makes itself known slightly and it grates on me slightly with extended use. While say the Amiron does have some initial sharpness to it's treble especially from an extended session with a darker headphone, you forget about it the longer you listen to it and simply focus on the music and there is no hint of fatigue. The HD 650 is the same way, it may sound a bit too dark and warm coming from brighter headphones but once you adjust to it you forget you're wearing headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #2,783 of 9,653
I spent a week with the HD 600, HD 660S, and the HD 700, comparing, contrasting, and trying to decide which one too keep. I'm powering them through a Magni 3 / Modi 2 U stack.

HD 660S vs HD 600 - The vocals feel more intimate and focused on the HD 600. The HD 600 feels more magical/musical to my ears. The HD660s push the vocals back a bit and gives some attention to the treble, and this makes the sound more balanced overall. The HD660S has a bit better soundstage, and more clarity. The 660S had tighter, more punchy bass as well as higher quality treble.
The HD 660 is 150ohm v the 300ohm of the HD600. I noticed the HD 600 opens up more when I turn the amp up. The HD660S started to get shouty, and I found it best with low gain on the Magni 3.
The HD600 sounded magical and encapsulating when given more power (high gain, bout 12 oclock and under).
I enjoyed the sound of the HD 600 more. I found myself sinking into the music and didn't want to take them off; that's how I knew they were good. When I had the HD 660S on, I was focused on the brighter treble and couldn't enjoy myself. Your results may vary.
I would like to point out that they do sound somewhat similar, but there is a difference. If the HD650 is the darker headphone of the family and the HD 600 is the neutral, then the HD660S is the brighter child of the family.
The HD660S has more comfy ear pads as they are a bit more spacious. For kicks, I swapped the pads on the HD 600 with the HD660 and vice versa..it ruined the sound of both. The HD600 sounded off, and the HD 660s sounded muffled. I didn't know pads played such a big role in the sound of a headphone.
To me, the HD 600 felt more magical. I was able to enjoy the music and it never really got shouty at me when I crank it up. Is the HD 660S better? Technically yes, but I didn't fully enjoy it's sound vs the 600s. It did perform better with some EDM and rock due to the quicker transients and better clarity.
Like a few have said before, the HD 660S is the technically superior headphone, but maybe 10%/15% difference. $500? Wait for the inevitable price drop. Some may not like the brighter nature of this headphone. I didn't.

HD 600/660S vs HD 700 - The HD 700 is an interesting headphone. In the comfort category, the HD 700 wins by a mile. The soft "pleather?" makes it feel like your ears are resting on clouds. The ear pads are shaped like a D, allowing a more natural fit.

Sound: The soundstage of the HD 700 is impressive, it is vast and accurate. It worked really well in gaming, movies, and live performances recordings.
The treble spike. Yup it's there, but the sound does get better if you EQ down 5900 a bit. (I did -7db at 5 Q, and bumped 2500 by 1db with a 4Q in Peace). Flipping back and forth between EQ on/off revealed just how annoying the treble spike is, especially in rock music with alot of cymbal. "chhh chhh chhh chhhhh" it sounded very artificial and annoying.
The mids. Well they feel a bit scooped out. I imagine this is what creates the big soundstage, scooped mids and higher treble, but I'm no expert.
I gave the HD 700 a chance, and I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't. The HD 6XX line just sounded more natural and pleasing to my ears while the HD 700 sounded distant and artificial, and at times fatiguing.
It's ironic that the HD 700 is very comfortable, but it has a somewhat fatiguing sound.

I snap ordered the HD 660S after hearing a couple Youtube reviewers stating that it's an upgrade to the HD 600s. That they'd be selling their HD 600s off. Well it is by 10%/15%, but for me the gained clarity was not worth sacrificing some "magic". It was also a bit too bright.

If you love the HD 650s, I'm not so sure you'd like these. As it's like going from the dark spectrum of the family to the bright end. Headphones are heavily based on personal preference so the only way to find out is to try them yourself. I'd wait for a price drop though.

I ended up keeping the HD 600s and I think I'm going to pick up a more appropriate amp for 300ohm headphones.
The HD660S pads are the same as the replacement pads for the HD600. They influence the sound in different stages of wear. Just got new pads for my HD650. There is only one official replacement pad out there for the whole series. HD580 to HD660S.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #2,784 of 9,653

Aaaahhh! The fresh breath of good, competent and clear listening impressions.

I have slightly different preferences (I think I prefer the 660S over the 600, not completely sure, and really liked the hd700), but I totally agree with the described sound differences between the three headphones.

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #2,785 of 9,653

Sadly I came to the same conclusion with them, it wasn't compared to the HD 650 at the time, but rather the Amiron and a modded DT 480, but I noticed while the added beef is really nice, clarity and transparency does seem to be affected and I didn't recall the HD 650 lacking in ultimate transparency, trying the HD 650 now has only confirmed to me the HD 660 S sacrifices some transparency for the extra body, it's why I'm conflicted by the headphone, I love it's sound signature but it always makes itself known slightly and it grates on me slightly with extended use. While say the Amiron does have some initial sharpness to it's treble especially from an extended session with a darker headphone, you forget about it the longer you listen to it and simply focus on the music and there is no hint of fatigue. The HD 650 is the same way, it may sound a bit too dark and warm coming from brighter headphones but once you adjust to it you forget you're wearing headphones.

Thanks for the updated impressions, guys. I think I would say that it's my long term familiarity with the sound from my ATC100ASL's compared to the HD 600 and HD 650, that has convinced me of the correctness of the sound from those headphones, particularly the HD 650, in regard to overall sound presentation and fine nuanced detail, particularly in the treble. Good to have what certain others have said of the HD 600 S confirmed. Thank you, you've saved me some hassle!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #2,786 of 9,653
Most people find non-existent differences between pads that saddens me and have no trust left in reviews that bring up minor diferences in sound betwewn headphones. Most reviewers saw differences between pads without knowing they were the same pads. Nothing counts or makes sense anymore if you have imaginary problems with how the pads sound, you disqualify yourself from the very start.

Well, I was yelling from the very start that the pads were identical, but people have very active imagination, the "new" pads were deeper, had narrower edges, sounded different, etc. How can a person not understand that sponge pads wear out and cannot stay the same?!
Of course the new ones are deeper and narrow edged, they wear out by flattening and becoming shallower, it's simple logic.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #2,787 of 9,653
Most people find non-existent differences between pads that saddens me and have no trust left in reviews that bring up minor diferences in sound betwewn headphones. Most reviewers saw differences between pads without knowing they were the same pads. Nothing counts or makes sense anymore if you have imaginary problems with how the pads sound, you disqualify yourself from the very start.

Well, I was yelling from the very start that the pads were identical, but people have very active imagination, the "new" pads were deeper, had narrower edges, sounded different, etc. How can a person not understand that sponge pads wear out and cannot stay the same?!
Of course the new ones are deeper and narrow edged, they wear out by flattening and becoming shallower, it's simple logic.
Sennheiser official writer here on headfi said they were different. This started the legend.

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #2,788 of 9,653
Spoiler alert: They're the EXACT SAME pads.

Disclaimer: My 600/6xx & 600s were purchased within the past year. New. From official retailers.

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #2,789 of 9,653
15204246736142131017287.jpg

This is how the pad on my HD660S looks like after 5 month of proper usage. I think it is still ok but the position of the driver relative to my ears did change, so did the sound for sure. I will replace after 12 month. The pads are consumables to me. 12 month of daily usage is my benchmark from my HD650.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #2,790 of 9,653

This is how the pad on my HD660S looks like after 5 month of proper usage. I think it is still ok but the position of the driver relative to my ears did change, so did the sound for sure. I will replace after 12 month. The pads are consumables to me. 12 month of daily usage is my benchmark from my HD650.

My HD700 pads also wore out at alarming rate. Was expecting 5 yrs of use as per reviewers and people who had some experience. Looks like 1.5 yrs to 2 yrs would be the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back