Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 16, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #1,951 of 9,628
Cool. I want the hd650 só bad. Would you say that besides more bass, the hd650 also hits/punches harder than the hd660s? The 660 is noticeably brighter than the 650?

@DavidA

Did you felt that the hd660 was was brighter than the 600 when you tested?

Graphs seem to show the 660 has having a tiny bit more bass than the 600 but also a bit more treble.... Did the 660 screwed up your hearing as the 600?

Cheers david
Hi Pedro,
I didn't have a HD600 the 2 times I visited my friend with the HD660S but from my memory I'd say the HD600 is slightly brighter since the HD660S never did irritate me like the HD600 did at times. The HD660S has more bass than the HD600 which is quite easy to notice.

I have to agree with @pietcux that unless you are going to get a decent amp (BH Crack or similar) you will enjoy the HD660S quite a bit more with the gear you currently have but I do agree with you that the current price of the HD660S is a bit over priced compared to the HD650 and HD600 and really over priced if you consider the HD6XX at $200.

@kman1211, great review and I'm glad that you give good info on your system since any comparison needs this info.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,952 of 9,628
Hi Pedro,
I didn't have a HD600 the 2 times I visited my friend with the HD660S but from my memory I'd say the HD600 is slightly brighter since the HD660S never did irritate me like the HD600 did at times. The HD660S has more bass than the HD600 which is quite easy to notice.

I have to agree with @pietcux that unless you are going to get a decent amp (BH Crack or similar) you will enjoy the HD660S quite a bit more with the gear you currently have but I do agree with you that the current price of the HD660S is a bit over priced compared to the HD650 and HD600 and really over priced if you consider the HD6XX at $200.

@kman1211, great review and I'm glad that you give good info on your system since any comparison needs this info.

Thank you. Felt it was a good idea to highlight the system used on the review. The system I use is one of those systems that if a headphone has good bass excursion potential and dynamic range it’s going to show. It’s a little too dark for the HD 650 though imho. Great for the HD 600 and HD 660 S though. I get the feeling it will pair well with the HD 800 S as well.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,953 of 9,628
Somebody here who prefer Nighthawk over the 650/660S?

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,954 of 9,628
Thank you. Felt it was a good idea to highlight the system used on the review. The system I use is one of those systems that if a headphone has good bass excursion potential and dynamic range it’s going to show. It’s a little too dark for the HD 650 though imho. Great for the HD 600 and HD 660 S though. I get the feeling it will pair well with the HD 800 S as well.
I take it you are just getting up where I'm getting ready to go to sleep, LOL

I had a Nighthawk for a few weeks but it was just too dark with a weird upper treble peak that bothered me at times. As for the choice between the HD650 and HD660S it really is a personal choice and also dependent on the supporting gear that you have or plan to acquire.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,955 of 9,628
Just depends, with my equipment and my ears I prefer the Nighthawk over the hd650 when I listen to Prog-Rock and Hard -Rock. I just have to have more emphasis on cymbals and bass, kick drum. Now, if I am listening to acoustic music, singer songwriter stuff and any little girl with a instrument I prefer the hd 650.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,956 of 9,628
Unfortunately, in my excitement i forgot to note which Amp they were using.

the chain was
Samsung S8(Spotify on extreme quality)>Aux>AMP>Headphones.
They had a pair of 598,650 and 660s there. Since i own the 598, I kinda saw the difference an amp made(tighter bass, cleaner mids), I don't own an amp at the moment since my desktop computer is enough to power the 598(for now). I tried the 650 with and without the amp used and without the amp it was more veiled and the bass was muddier.

If you have no amp/dac go for the 598, they sound about 70% as good as the 660s and 650.
I've heard the 650 scales better...
Between the 660s and the 650 its all down to preference in my opinion.

Were you at Bay Bloor Radio? If so I believe they use a Peachtree integrated amp with a tube preamp section.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,957 of 9,628
Well, I gave them over a month to win me over, but I ended up returning the Senn 660s to the dealer for a refund. I'll wait for the next generation of the 6XX family to try again.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,958 of 9,628
Well, I gave them over a month to win me over, but I ended up returning the Senn 660s to the dealer for a refund. I'll wait for the next generation of the 6XX family to try again.
Please tell us why?

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,960 of 9,628
Please tell us why?

When I purchased the Senn 660s, I had hopes that it would be similar to the 650, but with improvements across the board. I found that the Senn HD660s delivered more detailed sound than the HD650, but it didn't really sound like an evolution of the HD650. Maybe it was the extra treble, maybe the sound was harder. I'm not good at picking out specific sound differences, suffice to say the 660s wasn't fun to listen to like the 650 was. I've never heard the HD600, but other people on this thread have said that the 660s sounds more like that headphone than the 650.

The Beyerdynamic Amiron Home that I picked up (based on reviews on this forum) sounds a lot like a more-detailed version of the HD650, but is still fun to listen to. The sound feels effortless despite the extra detail. That effortless quality was missing from the HD660s, so I returned them to the dealer.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,961 of 9,628
When I purchased the Senn 660s, I had hopes that it would be similar to the 650, but with improvements across the board. I found that the Senn HD660s delivered more detailed sound than the HD650, but it didn't really sound like an evolution of the HD650. Maybe it was the extra treble, maybe the sound was harder. I'm not good at picking out specific sound differences, suffice to say the 660s wasn't fun to listen to like the 650 was. I've never heard the HD600, but other people on this thread have said that the 660s sounds more like that headphone than the 650.

The Beyerdynamic Amiron Home that I picked up (based on reviews on this forum) sounds a lot like a more-detailed version of the HD650, but is still fun to listen to. The sound feels effortless despite the extra detail. That effortless quality was missing from the HD660s, so I returned them to the dealer.
Thanks for taking the time. It will help others.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,962 of 9,628

Thank you very much for your impressions. :)

What would you say it was more fun on the hd650? Wich types of music you listen the most?

PS: you look like ALI G on that photo.... :D

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,963 of 9,628
Thank you very much for your impressions. :)

What would you say it was more fun on the hd650? Wich types of music you listen the most?

PS: you look like ALI G on that photo.... :D

Heh heh...Ali G, huh? :dt880smile: He's a funny guy.

When I listened to music with the HD660s, I made sure to try a variety of genres -- jazz, classical, classic rock, alternative, electronic. The sound/voicing of the headphones was consistent regardless of what type of music I chose. It didn't really sound more "fun" with any particular genre.

This is just my opinion. A friend of mine who listened to the HD660s on my system really liked them more than the HD650. (He likes more neutral-sounding headphones without emphasized bass.)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,964 of 9,628
Heh heh...Ali G, huh? :dt880smile: He's a funny guy.

When I listened to music with the HD660s, I made sure to try a variety of genres -- jazz, classical, classic rock, alternative, electronic. The sound/voicing of the headphones was consistent regardless of what type of music I chose. It didn't really sound more "fun" with any particular genre.

This is just my opinion. A friend of mine who listened to the HD660s on my system really liked them more than the HD650. (He likes more neutral-sounding headphones without emphasized bass.)

I like sound signatures like the momentum, hd25, m50x, Fidélio x2.... All of them are at least warmish and fun headphones, therefore and since i already own a hd600 i think the hd650 would suit me better. But i may be wrong.... I like the hd600s mids and treble for metal for example. I just wish they sounded a bit Fuller sounding and had a bit more bass/punch.... Leaning a bit more to the fidelio type of SIG but with a tiny tiny less bass and airier sound.... I dont demand much.... :D

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,965 of 9,628

The HD 660 S is definitely more HD 600ish to my ears. Definitely a personal preference thing on the HD 650 vs HD 660 S. The HD 660 S falls more in line with more warmish neutral headphones such as the HD 600 and the DT 1990. The slight hardness is akin to that found in the HD 600 but it's less bothersome than what is found on the HD 600, it's more like the DT 1990(balanced pads) where it's there but not a cause of fatigue. I have found the slight hardness is only on certain systems though, I personally found the HD 660 S to sound less hard and more musically flowing when using optical over USB. I found on my system optical sounds notably more fluid and honestly slightly glassy while moving to USB the sound gains a more dry and full tone to it, it's also a bit louder than the optical.

The Amiron Home fills in more laid-back sounding headphone like the HD 650 for me and is why I don't have any desire for the HD 650 currently. It's more trebly than the HD 650 but it has a similar relaxed character to it's sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back