Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 8, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #8,116 of 9,628
…double post

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #8,117 of 9,628
Avoided this headphone for years due to its reputation. I recently got it new for 150$ on offer. Not only this is one of the best dynamic headphones I ever heard, but I'm afraid I like it much more than HD600 and potentially Sundara.
I’ve seen them as low as $299 new, but never at $150. May I ask you where you purchased them for that price? Thanks

Apr 8, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #8,118 of 9,628
I’ve seen them as low as $299 new, but never at $150. May I ask you where you purchased them for that price? Thanks
Romania. I think ?all? 600 series Sennheiser models are now assembled there so you can find many great offers from people who have received them as gifts or work at the factory and so on. :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #8,119 of 9,628
Romania. I think ?all? 600 series Sennheiser models are now assembled there so you can find many great offers from people who have received them as gifts or work at the factory and so on. :)
OK. Thanks!

Apr 10, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #8,122 of 9,628
I'm relying on this thread to help me choose because the only way to listen to them both would be at a dealer who would want list price for them and I am not prepared to pay that nor am I prepared to use them for the audition and then buy elsewhere. If all else fails I know I like the 650s as I have owned them before.

Apr 10, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #8,123 of 9,628
Just order the 660s! Looking forward to joining the club. I was thinking of ordering the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads with it as wel. Do you think it’s a waste of money considering I’m gonna be using them almost 100% for competitive FPS gaming? The added comfort is extremely important for me but I don’t want to lose the directional imaging accuracy etc. Appreciate the feedback guys and I can’t wait!

Apr 10, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #8,124 of 9,628
Just order the 660s! Looking forward to joining the club. I was thinking of ordering the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads with it as wel. Do you think it’s a waste of money considering I’m gonna be using them almost 100% for competitive FPS gaming? The added comfort is extremely important for me but I don’t want to lose the directional imaging accuracy etc. Appreciate the feedback guys and I can’t wait!
I would recommend you hold off on the Dekoni Elite Pads as personally, I would like to "get to know" the 660s. I suppose you could buy today and hold them for a long while (after you put about 100 hours on the 660s). Then you will be very familiar with the sonic characteristics and then be able to compare and contrast. The great thing about your purchase is that you don't need to pay 1 second of consideration of my recommendation! LOL. Good luck. Do share your thoughts as you get to know them.....

Leo

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #8,125 of 9,628

I used mine in the beginning mostly for FPS gaming(Tarkov, Battlefield, COD) with the stock pads. It will get you a little to get used to the “soundstage” in games, but it will help you more with localization of sounds.

I think that the sound is really good with the stock pads, so investing in 3rd party pads is up to you.
Also, the clamp force out of the box was fine for me with the stock pads, but this is different for every head shape. Clamp will get fine also in time with the usage, so if it does not fit out of the box, just use them a little bit and they should get fine.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #8,126 of 9,628
I've been wanting to try these for so long. Finally got a pair today...and I sent it back within 5 minutes.

Not because they sounded bad. Actually I quite liked the sound. But I got to enjoy it for less than 2 minutes because the right channel immediately cut out in the middle of the first song I played with these. I tried replacing the connection and couldn't get it to work. Unbelievable. :frowning2:

Has Sennheiser's quality control gone in the toilet? Really disappointing. Should I bother ordering a replacement pair?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #8,127 of 9,628
I've been wanting to try these for so long. Finally got a pair today...and I sent it back within 5 minutes.

Not because they sounded bad. Actually I quite liked the sound. But I got to enjoy it for less than 2 minutes because the right channel immediately cut out in the middle of the first song I played with these. I tried replacing the connection and couldn't get it to work. Unbelievable. :frowning2:

Has Sennheiser's quality control gone in the toilet? Really disappointing. Should I bother ordering a replacement pair?

This happened to me with more expensive headphones and it was mainly due to the wire from the cable termination to the specific driver in the headphone being not so well soldered(on some of my older pairs I did replace this wires with better quality ones and soldered better and in some cases I got a sound improvement after doing this, which is funny somehow). Probably this is your case also.
With this said, I don’t see a reason why not to order a second pair, it is really a great headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #8,128 of 9,628
Listening right now, with the Feliks Audio Espressivo to some Live Dead. Oh my gosh. Truly great. People talk about the Senn vail.... What vail? Omg, what a great phone. For those of you considering purchasing this, I only hope you do.

Leo

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #8,129 of 9,628
Listening right now, with the Feliks Audio Espressivo to some Live Dead. Oh my gosh. Truly great. People talk about the Senn vail.... What vail? Omg, what a great phone. For those of you considering purchasing this, I only hope you do.

Leo
Is the the espressivo 1? What tube do you use with it? Cuz i saw an offer for them and may get it for my 660s as well! Also, how does the sound change compare it to solid state?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #8,130 of 9,628
Is the the espressivo 1? What tube do you use with it? Cuz i saw an offer for them and may get it for my 660s as well! Also, how does the sound change compare it to solid state?
Hey now! I'm feeding it via Roon/Bifrost2/Espressivo. I'm using the stock tubes that came with it out of the box. I've switched between the Jot2 and the Espressivo. There is more warmth, better base, better mids, much more depth to the live performances with the Feliks. A bit better sound stage (from my experience). I just prefer them to the SS amps (at least with the 660s)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back