Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 21, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #7,801 of 9,621
Not to interrupt the discussion here but..

I've had my 660s since June 1st, so a bit over 3 months, and I LOVE them. However recently the swivel joints where the headband meets the earcups have become pretty loose, and they make some unpleasant plastic noises when I'm wearing them if I move my jaw or head. Never had this issue with the 6xx or 58x.

Anyone else have this? Is it normal? I see they changed the plastic molds a bit from the "old" style 6xx. Maybe it's more prone to creaking and loosening of the hinges?

I did chat with Sennheiser support and they said I could send it in under warranty if I want for repair, but no guarantee they will find anything "wrong". Not sure if it's worth shipping it to them if it's normal for other users.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #7,803 of 9,621
Just got the HD660S and initial impressions are very positive. Easier to drive and compared with the HD650s without EQ, bass on the HD660S is more tight and cleaner/accurate. After EQ both with Oratory 1990 profiles, the HD660s sounds definitely better. Not to mention that the HD660s are a bit more comfortable. Also, the HD660s come with a pentaconn balanced cable which I wanted to use with my Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3. Conclusion, the HD650s are back to Amazon and will keep the HD660s.

IMG_8252.jpg

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #7,804 of 9,621
Just got the HD660S and initial impressions are very positive. Easier to drive and compared with the HD650s without EQ, bass on the HD660S is more tight and cleaner/accurate. After EQ both with Oratory 1990 profiles, the HD660s sounds definitely better. Not to mention that the HD660s are a bit more comfortable. Also, the HD660s come with a pentaconn balanced cable which I wanted to use with my Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3. Conclusion, the HD650s are back to Amazon and will keep the HD660s.

IMG_8252.jpg
That's super cool! Congrats :)

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #7,806 of 9,621
after getting used to the HD800S sound, when I went back to the 660S I couldn't believe how different they were.

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #7,807 of 9,621
Not to interrupt the discussion here but..

I've had my 660s since June 1st, so a bit over 3 months, and I LOVE them. However recently the swivel joints where the headband meets the earcups have become pretty loose, and they make some unpleasant plastic noises when I'm wearing them if I move my jaw or head. Never had this issue with the 6xx or 58x.

Anyone else have this? Is it normal? I see they changed the plastic molds a bit from the "old" style 6xx. Maybe it's more prone to creaking and loosening of the hinges?

I did chat with Sennheiser support and they said I could send it in under warranty if I want for repair, but no guarantee they will find anything "wrong". Not sure if it's worth shipping it to them if it's normal for other users.
I had a similar situation with my 660s that I bought used. There was a creakiness, but I didn't have the loosening issue. I fixed 95% of the creak with some careful application of WD40. If it comes back, I'll try some silicone lubricant or something else.

I haven't had any of the loosening you describe, though. If you're feeling up to it, you could do some of the disassembly yourself to look into it more without sending them off to Sennheiser.

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #7,808 of 9,621
I had a similar situation with my 660s that I bought used. There was a creakiness, but I didn't have the loosening issue. I fixed 95% of the creak with some careful application of WD40. If it comes back, I'll try some silicone lubricant or something else.

I haven't had any of the loosening you describe, though. If you're feeling up to it, you could do some of the disassembly yourself to look into it more without sending them off to Sennheiser.
They're just more loose than I'm accustomed to with the 6xx & 58x, I wonder if the slight design changes have allowed the hinges to be looser.

I will look into perhaps applying some lubricant. I wonder if a dry lubricant like teflon would be better. Either way I'm probably just being a bit neurotic about it haha.

And you're right, I could disassemble them myself to investigate. That's the beauty of the Sennheiser 6 series and what makes them the best headphones out there, IMO. Easy to take apart and put back together, readily available and harmonized spare parts between models, and the parts are fairly affordable.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #7,809 of 9,621
I also have Hifiman , AKG, Focal ,Beyers , and some others to B&W,Sony,B&O ,Koss, etch etch and HD660s are my favorites for exactly the reasons u said they are natural , musical , smooth, warm, and imaging is spot on ...
But personally i would never say that they are Fun sounding , compared to other headphones that i use if i want excitement , sparkle , deep lows , huge soundstage i always use something else than HD660s.

I find them more fun than the other headphones I've had, even without super soundstage, very deep bass and sparkle on the treble.

What headphones do you turn to for fun?

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #7,810 of 9,621
I find them more fun than the other headphones I've had, even without super soundstage, very deep bass and sparkle on the treble.

What headphones do you turn to for fun?
I'm guessing Beyes. A DT990,600 ohm - that's fun. I think the youtuber DMS even made a video about them.

Sep 21, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #7,811 of 9,621
I have been comparing my AKG K371, AT ATH-M50X and HD660S, all of them EQ’ed with their corresponding Oratory EQ Harman Curves and the H660S are just FANTASTIC!!! Second place goes to the M50X and third place, not by too far, the K371. Funny thing is that the M50Xs without EQ sound like crap. I was going to put them for sale but after trying them with EQ, they are a keepers :wink:

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #7,812 of 9,621
Now these two: HD660S and Sundara.

IMG_8263.jpeg

Honestly, can't peek a winner. Both sound so different but at the same time they sound GREAT. I can listen to both all day. I thought it was going to be an easy decision but it is NOT so at this point I'm keeping the HD660s and the Sundaras.

Attachments

• IMG_8263.jpeg
    IMG_8263.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #7,813 of 9,621
Also just purchased a Topping A30 Pro to use with the Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 :wink:

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #7,814 of 9,621

IMG_8263.jpeg

Honestly, can't peek a winner. Both sound so different but at the same time they sound GREAT. I can listen to both all day. I thought it was going to be an easy decision but it is NOT so at this point I'm keeping the HD660s and the Sundaras.
Both awesome. I preferred the 660s as I found them a bit more engaging, with a fuller bodied sound. I did really like the Sundara though and may add it to my collection at some point.

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #7,815 of 9,621

IMG_8263.jpeg

I have the 660'S which I'm really enjoying.....ordered the Sundara 2 days back from Hifiman site, shipped overnight and now I'm playing the waiting game........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back