Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 18, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #7,756 of 9,621
I've always read your opinions on the 660S ... they came to me yesterday, I can already say they are the most natural, musical and even fun sounding headphones I've had.

They are not surgical like the Ananda, but more dynamic and musical. They don't have the clarity and extreme detail of the Clears, but I find them easier to hear, with no peaks that hurt me.

The mids are spectacular however, now I understand because the Sennheisers have this reputation. Focal, Hifiman, AKG, and Beyerdynamic that I got didn't have these beautiful and natural mids.
Enjoy them :beerchug:

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #7,758 of 9,621
It is the first headset / IEM that I am already in love with after less than 24h.

The tonality is just perfect to my ears, the timbre is super natural, it's fast, the imaging is very accurate, the mids are great, and the voices are rendered in a natural and exciting way.

It does not have the spatiality, the surgical precision and the bass extension of the Ananda, but it wins in many other ways, first of all the general enjoyment of music.

I will probably later add another headset or IEM, sounding a little more clinical and analytical, but of the 660S I am really happy and I think they will always be with me.

I can't stop listening to them.

Sep 18, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #7,759 of 9,621
I just received my 660s this week and after having spent some time with them, I would agree with the many folks who have called this a 600/650 alternative instead of replacement. I keep the 6XX at my bedside as the frequency response is perfect for relaxing (to me) and the 660s, while incredibly similar, seem to have just a tad more energy about them. Regarding the grain that I've seen discussed at various points through this thread, I have not encountered any on my pair. When I first ventured into this hobby, I purchased a pair of Fidelio X2HRs, as they were very well received a few years ago. Those had grain. The treble on those was so bad that I couldn't listen for more than a couple songs without hating myself. I was running them from an SU-8 + 789, so while a subjectively sharp and treble-forward sounding rig, it was clinical enough to not be the culprit. I sold them after just a few days, I just could not handle it (and apparently was mostly alone in that feeling). Long story short, I have experience with grainy treble and I do not notice it on these - perhaps there was a silent revision at some point?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #7,761 of 9,621
Does 660s sound more like 600 or 650?
I would say it's more towards the 600. I know the 6XX/650 is really popular in the US and it's the reference for lots of people there, but I don't think the 660S in as warm as the 6XX (thank God)

To me, it's an improved version of the 600, having less clamp, more bass extension, better imaging and separation. Exactly the changes I would have pointed out, if Sennheiser asked me

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #7,762 of 9,621
I've always read your opinions on the 660S ... they came to me yesterday, I can already say they are the most natural, musical and even fun sounding headphones I've had.

They are not surgical like the Ananda, but more dynamic and musical. They don't have the clarity and extreme detail of the Clears, but I find them easier to hear, with no peaks that hurt me.

The mids are spectacular however, now I understand because the Sennheisers have this reputation. Focal, Hifiman, AKG, and Beyerdynamic that I got didn't have these beautiful and natural mids.
I also have Hifiman , AKG, Focal ,Beyers , and some others to B&W,Sony,B&O ,Koss, etch etch and HD660s are my favorites for exactly the reasons u said they are natural , musical , smooth, warm, and imaging is spot on ...
But personally i would never say that they are Fun sounding , compared to other headphones that i use if i want excitement , sparkle , deep lows , huge soundstage i always use something else than HD660s.

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #7,763 of 9,621
I'm not sure if the HD660S is "Entry Point" or "Entry Level"......??

There is much love on many Forums for the 600 as well as the 650....

I am pretty much a Novice at this stuff, but plenty of the online literature and forum(s) feedback / conversations point to the 600 series, and to a certain point some in the 500 series, being "End Game" HP's for some folks.....they scale up well with Amplification and EQ can finesse to your desired sound signature.....from what I've read - :wink:
This Low-Mid-High Entry headphones thing i never ,never get it ..... For me A) is the sound signature that we like B) If the headphone has the technical capabilities to represent that sound signature , C) if its comfortable and has no Quality issues .
Price is the last , i know many headphones that sound worst than my Koss KPHI 30i and cost 20 times more , i know many headphones that sound Amazing for most people but not me (very bright) , and i know many Expensive headphones that cost over 1.000 euros and have quality problems that for example HD 6 series do not have .

Sep 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #7,764 of 9,621
So, I just got mine today. I rather impulsively bought them, in no small part because of this thread (Head-Fi retail therapy strikes again!). I was hovering between these and the 600s for my first foray above the 58x line, and judging by how long they've been glued to my head this evening, I feel like I made a good choice. Thanks, everyone.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #7,765 of 9,621
This Low-Mid-High Entry headphones thing i never ,never get it ..... For me A) is the sound signature that we like B) If the headphone has the technical capabilities to represent that sound signature , C) if its comfortable and has no Quality issues .
Price is the last , i know many headphones that sound worst than my Koss KPHI 30i and cost 20 times more , i know many headphones that sound Amazing for most people but not me (very bright) , and i know many Expensive headphones that cost over 1.000 euros and have quality problems that for example HD 6 series do not have .
That is why I said "I am not sure if......" :wink:

Enjoy your headphones and your music :relaxed::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #7,766 of 9,621
Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 9.58.00 PM.png

The end. HD650 is better in every way.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #7,768 of 9,621
Might seem so looking at the graph, but it's not what my ears tell me.
:relaxed: Listening with your eyes can cause all sorts of problems.......

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #7,769 of 9,621

The end. HD650 is better in every way.
Say's who?
The Oratory Harmanish target?
And I don't know how he measures but the 650 doesn't have more extended bass.
I have both and I am A/B them right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• JM
Back