1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Levanter, Oct 8, 2017.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next

Last
  1. kman1211
    As much as I’d like these to be an upgrade it’s possibly they aren’t one when both are driven properly because honestly the HD 700(when corrected) isn’t really much of an upgrade over the HD 600/650 in terms of overall driver fidelity. It’s possible the drivers are essentially retuned HD 700 but I could be wrong. You don’t get a truly notable jump in driver fidelity from Sennheiser until you get the HD 800. It’s why I’m holding back and waiting on numerous reviews to see if it’s actually a better headphone or not. If it ends up being like how you say it could be I may just get one of the older siblings as my system is better suited for high impedance headphones. I’m expecting it to be a more efficient version of the HD 650 that does some things better but maybe not everything. The impedance difference will definitely change amp matching which will make it a little more difficult to compare.

The HD 600 vs HD 650 debate still ensues and this headphone will likely just add another headphone to debate getting alongside the HD 600/650. Actually wouldn’t mind a little more vocal range and midrange presence over the HD 650 more akin to what is found on the HD 600 as I feel the HD 650 weakness is vocals for me as it fails to grab me like the HD 600s vocals can but the HD 600 doesn’t seem to be able to create the same euphony the HD 650 can. I am really hoping the HD 660S can find that much desired middle-ground between the HD 600/650 that has been long requested.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    lost&confused likes this.
  2. FastAndClean
    Look at the back of the driver, is the same, the specifications are the same, that is good enough for me

3. mtoc
    please don't spread any rumors. Anyone who speaks any unofficial rumors will be hanged-over with rum.

4. kman1211
    Lol. But honestly he’s just observing they look exactly the same in terms of capsule design and share similar specifications which indicates it’s most likely a retuned HD 700 driver. I don’t think they just slapped in a HD 700 driver, I think some tuning likely went into the HD 660S driver which would likely make it a new driver in a sense. The HD 600 & HD 650 drivers basically look exactly the same but don’t sound quite the same in my personal testing for example, I assume there are subtle tuning differences, different batches sounding different, and/or it’s simply tolerance differences as the driver matching on the HD 600 isn’t quite as strict as its on the HD 650. I found it the same story with a different brand, Beyers with the DT 1770/1990 and Amiron drivers, they were all tuned notably differently despite having the exact same design, impedance, and dampening on the capsule. The HD 700 driver is already essentially the HD 6xx drivers with some capsule, magnet, and voice coil changes and maybe different membrane tolerances. The biggest question is how well it implements it and how it is tuned.

5. FastAndClean
    Come down big boy

6. pietcux
    I just placed my order against Sennheiser.de. That shop says avaible. Should get it on Monday. Seems to be sent directly from the factory in Ireland. Then we will hear and see.

Tuneslover, tarhana and stenog like this.
  7. Charente
    @pietcux You must have bought the only one available .... it now says 'NICHT VORRÄTIG' !! Looking forward to your impressions.

8. pietcux
    Maybe the last one, but not the only one. But let's see....

9. wnmnkh Contributor
    Look forward to see impression...3

10. mtoc
    let me say this, the 150ohm 40mm driver on HD660S doesn't mean it's the 150ohm 40mm one on hd700, and even you put them side by side (nake-barely) they did look the same, it would be completely different if you put them under mircoscope.

11. Oscar-HiFi
    Lets hope they arrive soon, looking forward to trying them out :D

12. PhilW
  13. ardilla
    https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones

It worries me that I cannot find the HD650 in the normal listing on the website anymore (except the Groove-bundle) It's on the site by direct search, but not in the list.

Anyone got info about HD650 being discontinued?? That would be a headfi tragedy!

14. Pokemonn
    you can find HD650 at 4 page(last)

15. ardilla
    Ah - I see it now - I used the "Open acoustic design"-filter - and the HD650 wasn't on the list. Just a bug, then. But I am alwas worried good products are going away when new ones show up...

Pokemonn likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next

Last