Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 1, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #4,786 of 9,628
Have you guys listened to the HD 600, 650, 660S with a sine sweep when comparing these headphones against each other?
(Example sine sweep: https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-20k.php)

I'm curious.

I'm going to buy either the new HD 600, 650 or 660S, but It's not available in my country yet, so I thought I ask you guys here before the purchase.
I work in my acoustically treated studio room with the Neumann KH310 A studio monitors as a composer and had the HD 600 here for 6 months (it was a loan from my friend, I also have an HD 558 here I own and I had a Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro before the Senns). When I was comparing the HD 600 to the KH 310 A, I came to the conclusion they sound really close to each other. The difference was the headphone has a little veil to it compared to the studio monitors, it really is the best word to describe it (no matter how much I hate that term). I could also say that the HD 600 has a more compact sound with less resolution, less width and a tiny bit warmer sound than the studio monitors, almost like it has a roll off in the high frequencies, but not quite like that, just a similar experience. When I was writing music with the headphone and listening the "results" back on the studio monitors I only had to rebalance some tracks in volume like 0.5-1dB, that's basically nothing. I wish the high freqs on the headphone would have a little less congested feel to it though, to have more resolution there, also a little more energy in the sub bass freqs and a little less shrillness, but only like 1dB or so. As you can see it isn't that bad after all, splitting hairs here.

Back to my question, when I was testing the HD 600 with a sine sweep, to my ears there was a peak somewhere around 7kHz, wasn't too bad but I wasn't happy about it either. Maybe the HD 650 or 660S have a more even frequency response in the high frequency domain? Basically I'm looking for the one that has the less peaks-valleys in it's frequency response, more even technically. I wish I could test all the three headphones in my studio in the same time, but I don't think this going to happen and that is why I ask here. Maybe you could help me out with this experience?

In my profession as concert organist and composer most of my companions use either the AKG K712 or 812 and the Beyerdynamic DT150, 250 and the 880. I own the AKG K7XX and they are ok, not great but just ok although the comfort is superb. I had a few hour listening session with the Beyerdynamics a few years ago witht eh 770 and the 880 plus the T1 and I was not really crazy about the heavy bloated bass which was not clear nor distinct.

This is also why I am on this thread, I am learning to keep ,u eyes and ears open to new headphones that may work well for my own profession.

This forum is very bad for my pocketbook. I will most likely be adding to my headphone collection in the next 2 months. Yes, I have 3 Grado's (which I never use, hate them). The quest for the perfect headphones continues.

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #4,793 of 9,628
The overall presentation of the sound on the 660s is really well layered and fast, but also delicate, and full. You really get everything in the stage coming at you in a precise, but musical way that pulls you in to the music. It’s engaging in a way that’s similar to the HE500. These headphones really have something

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #4,795 of 9,628
Also, its hard to find a headphone that excels at both jazz and energetic rock music. These do very well w those genres. The Beatles “Getting Better” and Coltrane’s “Giant Steps”... back to back. Oh man, so good. The imaging really does the job. These headphones image extremely well.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #4,796 of 9,628
This headphones excels greatly with classical music.
Yesterday I was listening to Beethoven symphonies and it was the first time in a few years and after various high end headphones that I truly enjoyed music.
Great tonality and very organic presentation on par with my 2ch system.
I also have at home the Hifiman Ananda and to tell you the truth I never felt the urge to reach for them.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #4,797 of 9,628
I think the HD660S is the upgraded HD700! :wink:
I had to think about this for awhile but for me the HD700 has two things that takes it out of the HD6 series comparisons for me: sound stage / imaging and slightly recessed mids. I'm curious if you use tube amps, more specifically OTL amps where the output impedance is 35ohm or higher? This is what I think the HD650 was designed for while the HD660S was designed for low output impedance devices like phones, DAPs, and most SS or hybrid amps. One trend that I've noticed with those that like the HD660s over the HD650 is the supporting gear (SS amps and low impedance devices) while those that seem to like the HD650 have OTL or higher output impedance devices. When trying the HD660s on high impedance amps (BH Crack, Elise, EC ZDS2) it actually sounds worst than from low impedance low power devices like phones or DAPs to me.
Another thing is the level that one listens to, I'm like you and listen at fairly low levels (65-85db) most of the time and its probably why most Grado headphones are not overly bright to me, granted all my Grado headphones (RS2e, SR225e and SR60) are all highly modded with dynamat and or sorbothane along with detachable cables (can't stand the stock ones) and larger over ear G-pads.

Oct 2, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #4,798 of 9,628
I had to think about this for awhile but for me the HD700 has two things that takes it out of the HD6 series comparisons for me: sound stage / imaging and slightly recessed mids. I'm curious if you use tube amps, more specifically OTL amps where the output impedance is 35ohm or higher? This is what I think the HD650 was designed for while the HD660S was designed for low output impedance devices like phones, DAPs, and most SS or hybrid amps. One trend that I've noticed with those that like the HD660s over the HD650 is the supporting gear (SS amps and low impedance devices) while those that seem to like the HD650 have OTL or higher output impedance devices. When trying the HD660s on high impedance amps (BH Crack, Elise, EC ZDS2) it actually sounds worst than from low impedance low power devices like phones or DAPs to me.
Another thing is the level that one listens to, I'm like you and listen at fairly low levels (65-85db) most of the time and its probably why most Grado headphones are not overly bright to me, granted all my Grado headphones (RS2e, SR225e and SR60) are all highly modded with dynamat and or sorbothane along with detachable cables (can't stand the stock ones) and larger over ear G-pads.

Hi David. No, I’m using SS amps - Lehmann BCL or Sennheiser HDVD800. The BCL is known as a good match for the HD650 (and HD800) and the Senn amp was designed for the HD800 and works extremely well with the HD650. The HD660S does work well with them but I prefer the HD650 on both.
What has been a big surprise to me is that although the difference is much smaller on my iPhone I still seem to be preferring the HD650. I’m travelling back to Tampere to do my playing job now and this time I’m bringing the HD650 with me to do more comparison. The HD660S should work better from a phone so I’m unsure why I seem to prefer the HD650. I just still hear more with it and the timbre still seems better. I’ll have time in the next few days to really analyse what’s going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back