Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #4,369 of 9,628
Well, that would be nice, but when I look it's €399..........?

Can't be. This shows 320: https://www.thomann.de/intl/sennheiser_hd650_hifi_kopfhoerer.htm .

Looks good next to the HD-600 by the way. :) I recommend it.

Collection 02.jpg

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #4,370 of 9,628
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #4,371 of 9,628
Sorry! My mistake - for some reason I thought you meant the HD660S! I already have two recent HD650's. I'm just waiting for the HD660S to come down in price.......... It's not that I can't afford it, I just think it's over priced.

Same here. It is 372 today brand new on amazon.de. I think it just went down from 380 or something. But I think around Nov/Dec we might see a couple of days of near 300. It will probably shoot back up to current prices after the sales, unless Sennheiser releases a new 6-series model.

Aug 16, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #4,372 of 9,628
Sorry! My mistake - for some reason I thought you meant the HD660S! I already have two recent HD650's. I'm just waiting for the HD660S to come down in price.......... It's not that I can't afford it, I just think it's over priced.
Mike, I still don't get it. How can a technically more advanced product be overpriced compared to a good but very ancient predecessor?

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #4,373 of 9,628
Hello,

anyone drive this 660s with a DAP?

regards,
Simon

I drive mine with a Sony NW-A55. Works fine for casual listening. I've ordered a 4.4mm to dual 3.5mm balanced adapter from Moon Audio, so I can switch to the balanced 660S cable and plug it into my Sony PHA-3 DAC/amp for more "engaged" listening sessions.

IMG_20190816_171356.jpg

Aug 17, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #4,374 of 9,628
Mike, I still don't get it. How can a technically more advanced product be overpriced compared to a good but very ancient predecessor?

Hi pietcux. To be honest I'm not really sure what you mean by 'technically more advanced'. If you mean details such as a frequency response expanded from 10 Hz - 39.5 kHz to 10 Hz - 41 kHz and a THD improvement from 0.05% to 0.04% and an increased SPL from 103 dB at 1 kHz / 1 Vrms to 104 dB at 1 kHz / 1 Vrms (source B&H) then I don't see the relevance. None of those technical improvements are audible. Yes, they all add up, and it's a different, theoretically better, driver, but at this level it just becomes a matter of opinion and taste rather than a case of one being clearly better than another. Indeed, you will recall that recently in this thread someone has stated that they prefer their HD 660 S to their HD 880 S! The technical difference between those two is far great than it is between the HD 650 and the HD 660 S - in favour of the HD 800 S!

Bear in mind also that you always pay a premium for a new product. 'The latest thing' is always going to carry a premium compared to an older product and invariably there will be a price correction over a period of time as the new flavour become not so new anymore.

But, that would be irrelevant if I really wanted the HD 660 S. I just still have a few problems with pulling the trigger (at the current prices). I've stated some of these before (such as doubts about the tonal correctness when it comes to wind and string instruments) but in addition, I'm almost totally satisfied with my HD 650 HDVD 800 combo. By all accounts the HD 660 S sounds better (or at least more exciting) and is easier to drive with lesser equipment, and I'm sure that they would sound fantastic on the HDVD 800, but the difference between the two on that amp isn't going to be big. The other slightly irritating thing is that, having paid a premium for the HD 660 S, I still wouldn't be a able to plug it into the HDVD 800 in balanced mode without buying (or making) a three-pin balanced cable for it, or continually swopping the balanced cable from the HD 650 (not something I'm prepared to do). That's just plain annoying........

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #4,375 of 9,628
Hi pietcux. To be honest I'm not really sure what you mean by 'technically more advanced'. If you mean details such as a frequency response expanded from 10 Hz - 39.5 kHz to 10 Hz - 41 kHz and a THD improvement from 0.05% to 0.04% and an increased SPL from 103 dB at 1 kHz / 1 Vrms to 104 dB at 1 kHz / 1 Vrms (source B&H) then I don't see the relevance. None of those technical improvements are audible. Yes, they all add up, and it's a different, theoretically better, driver, but at this level it just becomes a matter of opinion and taste rather than a case of one being clearly better than another. Indeed, you will recall that recently in this thread someone has stated that they prefer their HD 660 S to their HD 880 S! The technical difference between those two is far great than it is between the HD 650 and the HD 660 S - in favour of the HD 800 S!

Bear in mind also that you always pay a premium for a new product. 'The latest thing' is always going to carry a premium compared to an older product and invariably there will be a price correction over a period of time as the new flavour become not so new anymore.

But, that would be irrelevant if I really wanted the HD 660 S. I just still have a few problems with pulling the trigger (at the current prices). I've stated some of these before (such as doubts about the tonal correctness when it comes to wind and string instruments) but in addition, I'm almost totally satisfied with my HD 650 HDVD 800 combo. By all accounts the HD 660 S sounds better (or at least more exciting) and is easier to drive with lesser equipment, and I'm sure that they would sound fantastic on the HDVD 800, but the difference between the two on that amp isn't going to be big. The other slightly irritating thing is that, having paid a premium for the HD 660 S, I still wouldn't be a able to plug it into the HDVD 800 in balanced mode without buying (or making) a three-pin balanced cable for it, or continually swopping the balanced cable from the HD 650 (not something I'm prepared to do). That's just plain annoying........
Mike it is funny how you talk from the sideline since two years now. I was just pulling your leg. You are such an anti HD660S enthusiast. So you re not prepared to change cables.....I do it whenever it needs to be done, it is no rocket science. And yes the driver is a more modern version, better magnets, Lower impedance faster impulse response.

Aug 17, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #4,377 of 9,628
Mike it is funny how you talk from the sideline since two years now. I was just pulling your leg. You are such an anti HD660S enthusiast. So you re not prepared to change cables.....I do it whenever it needs to be done, it is no rocket science. And yes the driver is a more modern version, better magnets, Lower impedance faster impulse response.

Sorry, I thought it was a serious question.......

I'm certainly not an anti HD 660 S enthusiast. I've always had Sennheisers, starting with the HD 414 and HD 420 that I had in my teens, right the way through to the HD 580 Precisions, HD 600, HD 650 and HD 800, all of which I still have. Under normal circumstances jumping on the lastest 6 series would be a no-brainer, but I'm just not prepared to pay over the odds this time for the reasons stated above. At the end of the day, if technically better is what I want, (better magnets, Lower impedance faster impulse response) I pick up the HD 800. I just haven't been convinced of any reason to pay the current price for the HD 660 S as yet.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #4,379 of 9,628
Mike it sounds like you want an improved 650 but your not even willing to make the effort to take advantage of Amazon's great 30 days return policy and try it out for yourself. I think your more concerned that your gonna actually enjoy it more than you think and you've wasted 2 years just talking about it.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #4,380 of 9,628
Sure. When Sennheiser sees that it would be a good idea to include it with the HD 660 S I'll be pleased!

4.4 is a better fit and more modern for a mid range headphone than XLR.

Oidio sound offer a stock sennheiser cable terminated in a neutrik XLR for £29! It sounds like youre just making excuses to not buy a headphone that you say you want to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back