Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 4, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #3,841 of 9,628
I have the hd6xx, hd660s and hd600. I ended up keeping the hd600. The 660s trades the smooth treble for a lil bit better resolution. It's less shouty than it's siblings as well. Yet to my ears the treble is noticeably more grainy, and less 'natural.' I think it's fine to pay 300 used for one, but paying for full price is foolish...

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #3,842 of 9,628
I don't think they will discontinue the HD650 any time soon. They still produce the HD600.
And no, the HD660S does not add any grain to the treble. Only if you compare a brand new HD660S to a well used HD650. The roughness will disappear within the first hours of usage.

I tested a HD660S brand new versus a very worn out HD650, couldn't find a new one in any showroom around :)

I do think that the grain smooths out a bit after a while, but they seem to keep more treble presence than HD650.

Running 660 from rHead right now, no grain, no roughness, no harshness when ABing with 650. Just bettery treble clarity and definition along with a lot of other improvements.

I agree, the treble is more clear than HD650. I wouldn't say they are rough, harsh or grainy, just a bit more grainy than HD650, if you compare them directly :)

Standalone, they are still fraily smooth, and I like them quite a bit more than HD650, the treble and resolution is improved quite enough.

It seems HD660s is better choice for little extra money. There is a clarity bump over HD650 because of different drivers being used and comfort seems to be somewhat improved from what I read. I am also now considering LCD2C as an other option but not sure if that's worth it or not. Planner reliability in general is still a question mark and dynamic is a proven technology. Still LCD2C is tempting because people say it's an upgrade over HD650. But then HD660s itself is an upgrade..

LCD2 is heavier than HD660S, but they have a different kind of fit, where I eventually find them more comfortable, and they do sound a bit different. The bass is deeper and has more impact on LCD2, they are planars after all. You should really test both if you can, you will know which you prefer for sure. I personally like both, for different reasons, but would suggest trying both. BTW, I tested LCD-2, not LCD-2C.

I have the hd6xx, hd660s and hd600. I ended up keeping the hd600. The 660s trades the smooth treble for a lil bit better resolution. It's less shouty than it's siblings as well. Yet to my ears the treble is noticeably more grainy, and less 'natural.' I think it's fine to pay 300 used for one, but paying for full price is foolish...

Comparing HD660S to HD650, I prefer the treble on HD660S, I always thought that HD650 was a tad too smooth. HD600 was one I always liked tho :)

The pairs I tested had very different wear levels, and the HD650 I tested was extremely worn out, while the Hd660S I have is brand new, so this may play a role.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #3,843 of 9,628
Is that true that Sennheiser has discontinued their HD650 in favour of HD660s? I asked because here where I live both are readily available. The price difference is small about $75.

I heard HD660s uses HD700 drivers instead of 600 family series which is why it's not as smooth and there is graininess, is this true?

I would be craziness for them to stop production on the HD600 and hd650 in my opinion.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #3,844 of 9,628
Im really not hearing any grain at all guys im swapping back and fourth after a songs i know very well.

By grain are we on the same track? grain to me is a roughness or grittiness to the texture of treble thats not part of the recording, its still very smooth just like 650 but im just hearing increased resolution and a tad more sparkle.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #3,846 of 9,628
Comparing HD660S to HD650, I prefer the treble on HD660S, I always thought that HD650 was a tad too smooth. HD600 was one I always liked tho :)

The pairs I tested had very different wear levels, and the HD650 I tested was extremely worn out, while the Hd660S I have is brand new, so this may play a role.

I think its only too smooth if you use it as your only headphone for everything, the bass distortion and smooth treble can give an extremely seductive experience at the right times.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #3,847 of 9,628
Im really not hearing any grain at all guys im swapping back and fourth after a songs i know very well.

By grain are we on the same track? grain to me is a roughness or grittiness to the texture of treble thats not part of the recording, its still very smooth just like 650 but im just hearing increased resolution and a tad more sparkle.

Pretty much concur with this post. Having owned both the HD650 & HD660S, I never noticed the alleged "graininess" of the HD660S. I do think that the HD660S is less forgiving/more revealing with poorly recorded/mastered audio though.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #3,848 of 9,628
Pretty much concur with this post. Having owned both the HD650 & HD660S, I never noticed the alleged "graininess" of the HD660S. I do think that the HD660S is less forgiving/more revealing with poorly recorded/mastered audio though.

Where did this grain talk originate from, was it Tyl's review? From all the reading ive done people seem to be arguing over this "does it or doesnt it have grain?" like they were arguing over if the 600/650 had veil.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #3,849 of 9,628
Where did this grain talk originate from, was it Tyl's review? From all the reading ive done people seem to be arguing over this "does it or doesnt it have grain?" like they were arguing over if the 600/650 had veil.

I think Tyll's review caused a large amount of undeserved negative attention towards Sennheiser and the HD660S. Shortly thereafter, Tyll retired after admitting his hearing was not up to par anymore. I do respect the opinions of those who actually gave the HD660S a fair shot though. Hearing is so subjective.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #3,851 of 9,628
What kind of AMP/DAC are people using that can hear the HD660S grainy sound? Poorly recorded music is the only thing that comes to my mind when "grainy" and "HD660S" is combined. Then again HD660S is not the most unforgiving headphone that I have. I'm thoroughly baffled.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #3,852 of 9,628
You can call me foolish then!

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #3,853 of 9,628
I would be craziness for them to stop production on the HD600 and hd650 in my opinion.
Yes they are both cash cows and reference headphones plus all three share most parts, so the variety comes in cheap.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #3,854 of 9,628

I began with the HD600 and liked it a lot, then tried the HD6XX out of curiosity and the good price. Now I almost exclusively use the HD6XX.. love the smooth but still detailed sound :)

I still haven’t tried the HD660S yet (because price) but would very much like to hear it.

About the pads, using the HD6XX I can say that bad pads does indeed affect the sound of it in a negative way, to make it a less engaging, duller, with less treble. Comparing HD6-series headphones is best with new or near new pads.

That aside, of what I’ve read, the HD660S still has more treble than HD650/HD6XX (also with new pads). I do however have the HD58X which (again of what I’ve read) should have a very similar sound to the HD660S. Of the HD6XX and HD58X I still prefer the HD6XX, and I do wonder if that would also make me prefer the HD6XX over the HD660S...

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #3,855 of 9,628
I do however have the HD58X which (again of what I’ve read) should have a very similar sound to the HD660S. Of the HD6XX and HD58X I still prefer the HD6XX, and I do wonder if that would also make me prefer the HD6XX over the HD660S...

It really doesnt imo, 58X has much more bass than any 600 series headphone, more one note type slower bass and worse treble quality. 660s bass is tighter, faster, more detailed and the treble is higher quality as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back