Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #3,166 of 9,628
The dynamics are better on the HD 660 S but to me it lost some of that analog smoothness and subtleness to it's mids the HD 650 has. I don't necessarily like the HD 650 more but I do find it has some strengths over the HD 660 S. I actually like the HD 660 S more overall as it suits my listening habits better and I have headphones I consider better and like more than either.

I don't like planardynamics generally, the mids and treble never sat right with me. I'm familiar with Z-reviews, it seems pretty obvious he's a bit of an otaku. I have mixed opinions, sometimes I agree with him and other times I don't.
I completely agree about planar mids and treble. I’ve tried a lot of them and always go back to dynamics. The Z-reviews guy just rubs me the wrong way, very hard to listen to for very long and his musical taste is so far off from mine that it doesn’t really apply.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #3,167 of 9,628
The dynamics are better on the HD 660 S but to me it lost some of that analog smoothness and subtleness to it's mids the HD 650 has. I don't necessarily like the HD 650 more but I do find it has some strengths over the HD 660 S. I actually like the HD 660 S more overall as it suits my listening habits better and I have headphones I consider better and like more than either.

I don't like planardynamics generally, the mids and treble never sat right with me. I'm familiar with Z-reviews, it seems pretty obvious he's a bit of an otaku. I have mixed opinions, sometimes I agree with him and other times I don't.
-
Its very interesting to me, to notice how a listener will discern and describe a sound as provided by a favorite set of headphones.
As in the case of the Senn 650s, you are describing a contrast that you believe to be accurate, which is to say that the smooth analog character / subtleness that you perceive the 650s are delivering to your ear holes, is not being delivered in equal value by the 660S, as you are use to hearing it from your 650s
What I hear when I listen to the excellent 650s, is a bloated low mid that is masquerading as warmth BECAUSE it overlaps the middle of the mid freq, and sort of smothers it a tad.
You perceive this characteristic as "analog warmth", and then when you hear the 660S which dont allow the low mids to bloat and overlap the middle of their midrange freq, you perceive this as analytical, and perhaps a bit sterile.
I perceive this as balanced and clear and accurate and natural.
So, its interesting how various ears can randomly access their personal truth, that is to them, correct..
I think that all headphone addicts can agree about sizzling highs, but once you start trying to find common ground regarding the midrange and the bass response, there is going to be a riot:)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #3,168 of 9,628
-
Its very interesting to me, to notice how a listener will discern and describe a sound as provided by a favorite set of headphones.
As in the case of the Senn 650s, you are describing a contrast that you believe to be accurate, which is to say that the smooth analog character / subtleness that you perceive the 650s are delivering to your ear holes, is not being delivered in equal value by the 660S, as you are use to hearing it from your 650s
What I hear when I listen to the excellent 650s, is a bloated low mid that is masquerading as warmth BECAUSE it overlaps the middle of the mid freq, and sort of smothers it a tad.
You perceive this characteristic as "analog warmth", and then when you hear the 660S which dont allow the low mids to bloat and overlap the middle of their midrange freq, you perceive this as analytical, and perhaps a bit sterile.
I perceive this as balanced and clear and accurate and natural.
So, its interesting how various ears can randomly access their personal truth, that is to them, correct..
I think that all headphone addicts can agree about sizzling highs, but once you start trying to find common ground regarding the midrange and the bass response, there is going to be a riot:)

I only borrowed the HD 650 simply to compare it to my HD 660 S. My main headphones are a modified DT 480 and my Amiron Home, though I use the HD 660 S almost as much. You don’t seem to be understanding what I’m talking about when I’m mentioning the analog sound, it refers to an effortless unforced sound without any etching, harshness, or artifacts, the more analog a headphone or speaker sounds the more life-like and transparent it sounds. Honestly the analog sound has nothing to do with warmth, it can be heard from select brighter and bass light headphones even. The HD 660 S is definitely a warm sounding headphone to my ears. It’s not even remotely sterile or analytical sounding to me.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #3,169 of 9,628
I'm in the market for new headphones. And it's a three way tie between these bad boys. I'm quite literally being pulled in three directions.

Hoping someone that has heard the HD 660 S can help me settle on one. For many, many years now I have used a pair of Sony MDR-V6's and Sony MDR-7506's as my daily drivers. I always felt they were fairly accurate and neutral, for their price point. I'm looking for something similar in an open back pair and the Sennheiser 6xx series seems to be where that party is being held. Not too long ago I had some Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors that I was using to play music and I loved the sound. I liked hearing an accurate representation of what is actually on the recording without any funny business. Some people might consider that to be a boring listening experience but I prefer accuracy over "fun" when it comes to listening.

I'll obviously need an amp to drive these and I have my eye on JDS Labs' The Element. I like the looks of it, aesthetically, and everything I've read about the sound uses words like 'neutral' and 'uncolored'. It also has a lot of juice to power any of these 3 headphones. It's a Class AB amp based on an opamp design, from my understanding. I'm like 99% sure that'll be my amp of choice.

That said, I'm still torn on which headphone I want.

HD 600 — These are obviously a classic for many reasons. They have been on the market for 21 years, which for me is half a lifetime ago. They are considered accurate, 'flat' and 'neutral' which checks those boxes for me.

HD 650 — Being the follow up to the HD 600, these are supposed to have a darker sound from what I read. A little more low end than the 600's too.

HD 660 S — Different driver than the above two and a different sound signature from both. Everything I've read makes it sound like they took the best bits of both the HD 600 and HD 650 and fused it into the HD 660 S.

I'm slightly leaning towards the HD 600 because of the sound signature but I like the looks of the HD 660 S and would like to have a newer headphone; although ultimately it does not matter at the end of the day. I respect the reviews I've read and watched but I also respect the opinion of the average consumer that spends their hard earned money on something.

Simple question: Is the HD 660 S at least as 'great' of a headphone as its predecessors in the 6xx line?

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #3,170 of 9,628
Any of those are going to be better than the V6. It's funny I asked about the differences between 7506 and V6, and was told by a member that 7506 is bright, and I thought even the V6 was bright. V6 was really sterile sounding(a bit bright without body), and lacked low-end. Haven't heard the 660, but out of the other two, HD600's treble(and overall response) would be closer to the V6 than the 650, but for something different(and to experience something different) going further away from character of the V6, to experience warm signature, 650 would be the one. All three being open headphones, that's alone is going to be distinguishing from the Sonys.

As far as neutral, after trying out several varying characteristic headphones, your idea of what neutral maybe would most likely change.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #3,171 of 9,628
@JasonCManle, I've owned HD600 (sold) and HD650/6XX (still have both) and have listened to a friends HD660S a few times over the past 4 months.
HD600: if looking for what most would consider "neutral" then this would be my recommendation. They have a small peak in the 3.5-5khz range that bothered me at times and its why I sold them. Replaced with custom built Ypislon S2.

HD650/6XX: With a properly selected amp these are still my favorite of the HD6 family. But they are far from being my favorites.

HD660S: Not as "neutral" as the HD600 but no peaks that bother me either but also not as smooth and relaxing as the HD650/6xx. One thing that makes them better than the HD650 is they are easier to drive and sound good on a larger variety of gear unlike the HD650 which needs a decent amp (OTL like BH Crack and well chosen tubes) to sound good/great. If the HD660S was priced at $275-300 like the HD600 and HD650 then I'd consider getting them but with the HD6XX at $200 I feel the HD660S is over priced and there is the HD58X at $150 which some are speculating will sound like the HD600/HD660S it makes the $500 for the HD660S an even harder sell IMO.

PS: I also still have my MDR-7506, M50x, K553, MDR-1A, Momentum on-ear & over ear, and V-Moda-XS. FWIW I wouldn't consider the MDR-7506 a "neutral" sound but its not bad in any way either. If I had to pick what I consider the most neutral of all my headphones it would be my old Stax SRD-34, clean tight bass that goes low enough for me, mids that are as smooth and have a similar tone to the HD650 and highs that are more extended, smooth and not rolled off. It also sounds fairly close to my Rauna Tyr speakers which I've always the most neutral of my speakers (other speakers: KEF 103.3 Ref, Magnepan 1.6 and DCM Time Windows)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #3,172 of 9,628
I'm in the market for new headphones. And it's a three way tie between these bad boys. I'm quite literally being pulled in three directions.

Hoping someone that has heard the HD 660 S can help me settle on one. For many, many years now I have used a pair of Sony MDR-V6's and Sony MDR-7506's as my daily drivers. I always felt they were fairly accurate and neutral, for their price point. I'm looking for something similar in an open back pair and the Sennheiser 6xx series seems to be where that party is being held. Not too long ago I had some Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors that I was using to play music and I loved the sound. I liked hearing an accurate representation of what is actually on the recording without any funny business. Some people might consider that to be a boring listening experience but I prefer accuracy over "fun" when it comes to listening.

I'll obviously need an amp to drive these and I have my eye on JDS Labs' The Element. I like the looks of it, aesthetically, and everything I've read about the sound uses words like 'neutral' and 'uncolored'. It also has a lot of juice to power any of these 3 headphones. It's a Class AB amp based on an opamp design, from my understanding. I'm like 99% sure that'll be my amp of choice.

HD 600 — These are obviously a classic for many reasons. They have been on the market for 21 years, which for me is half a lifetime ago. They are considered accurate, 'flat' and 'neutral' which checks those boxes for me.

HD 650 — Being the follow up to the HD 600, these are supposed to have a darker sound from what I read. A little more low end than the 600's too.

HD 660 S — Different driver than the above two and a different sound signature from both. Everything I've read makes it sound like they took the best bits of both the HD 600 and HD 650 and fused it into the HD 660 S.

I'm slightly leaning towards the HD 600 because of the sound signature but I like the looks of the HD 660 S and would like to have a newer headphone; although ultimately it does not matter at the end of the day. I respect the reviews I've read and watched but I also respect the opinion of the average consumer that spends their hard earned money on something.

Simple question: Is the HD 660 S at least as 'great' of a headphone as its predecessors in the 6xx line?
Yes.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #3,173 of 9,628

I think your analysis is pretty much spot on. I used to like the HD600 until the HD660s came out. Now I can't reach for any of them. I never cared for the HD650 (I need more energy "up there", plus bass bleed into the mids). I always thought the bass on the HD600 reached lower than HD650 when properly driven.

When the HD660s came out, I could no longer listen to the HD600 (too boring). The HD660s was exciting by comparison. But something weird is going on. I haven't been able to figure it out. And I'm too lazy to page back xx pages to find a FR plot. However, I have other phones that sound more neutral, yet more exciting (oxymoron??) than the HD660s.

But I digress. Given that you prefer accurate/neutral/boring, of the three, I believe you will prefer the HD600. If you want to drive yourself crazy, listen to the HD660S before deciding.
Of the Sennheisers, I actually prefer my HD800 w/ anax mod. You might too. But get your own, you can't have mine.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,175 of 9,628
I also found 660 is better than 600. 600 is just...somewhat boring and bright. I didn't reach to 600 since I got 660. But...in the last few days, I didn't reach to 660 as well. Many people talked about lush mids in 600 series. I have yet to understand why. To my ears, mids to lower treble of ether c flow sounds fuller, more realistic and organic. 660 sounds better than 600, but depth of soundstage is too shallow, and mids to lower treble sounds a bit digital to my ears.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,176 of 9,628

Yes, tho quite different.

Senn (in essence) took the HD580 shell, inserted the HD700 Drivers, and tweeted till they were sonically delirious, and then started selling it in a nice box for about $5 Bills.
Sonically, its kind warm, kind rich, has very pleasant treble, offers nice clarity and balance, and the bass is ample and substantial without being over the top.
If you need your eyeballs to be immensely vibrated within their respective sockets by Bass response to feel that a headphone is a "good one", = then look elsewhere.
If you need your eardrums sizzled by Treble like bacon being cooked using a flame thrower, = look elsewhere.
To my ears, as compared to the other 6xx's mentioned, the 660S will please those who wanted an evolution of the HD600, vs those who already madly love their HD650's sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3,177 of 9,628
I completely agree about planar mids and treble. I’ve tried a lot of them and always go back to dynamics. The Z-reviews guy just rubs me the wrong way, very hard to listen to for very long and his musical taste is so far off from mine that it doesn’t really apply.

I don't dislike all planars I heard, it's just they aren't for me based on the ones I've heard. Electrostatics on the other hand are great, though I've only heard STAX and Sennheiser stats. Zeos can sometimes rub me wrong in his review style though it depends on review and my mood. Genre preference, what one looks for in headphones, and differences in each others ear shapes, innate hearing ability, and audiophile experience does influence how people hear. Finding a reviewer or two who hears similarly to you does help.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #3,180 of 9,628
We've removed a number of off-topic posts from the thread. Let's please keep the discussion related to the Sennheiser HD 660 S. Thanks everyone.

Thanks, well appreciated. HD660S it is. And I hope that everyone is entitled to his opinion, no one should act as if they « own the truth » in this thread or any other thread for that matter.
For my part, I really enjoy the HD650 (it’s actually a pair of HD6XX that I own, same thing in black coating) and don’t feel the same way regarding the HD600. My opinion regarding the latter is as neutral as these cans are in real life. I hope to try the HD660S soon, but Regardless of their musical qualities, I will have a rough time justifying the 499$ price when I bought the Massdrop HD6XX 199$.
In the same manner, I really look forward to read opinions from people who will have the opportunity in a few weeks time to compare the HD660S to the HD58X. These two headphones share similar 150 ohms drivers and have roughly the same frequency responses, if I exclude the lower bass region (I report the graph that many of us have seen published on the web). It will be interesting to see if both headphones have similar or different sound signatures and if the HD660S may justify the 350$ price difference...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back