Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 7, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #3,046 of 9,626
No point in buying the HD 660 S when there's HD 58X Jubilee for ~166 € (inc. 24% VAT and postages). I could buy three HD 58X Jubilee for the price of one HD 660 S. The midrange at least should quite similar. Also the slightly tamer bass is a good thing in my opinion - it might make it more balanced over all. When I tested the HD 660 S the bass was quite powerful, maybe even too much for my taste.

HD 58X Jubilee's sound stage may be something that's going to disappoint a bit but judging by some impressions it's actually wider than on HD 6x0 series headphones so... But still, I'm hoping that Sennheiser is planning to release something with angled drivers and with a sound signature more similar to HD 59x and HD 6x0 rather than HD 700.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #3,047 of 9,626
I think we should move on to a HD660S impression thread. Only for people who like the headphone. I actually don't care how many other cans someone can get for the same price. I only have one head so what.

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #3,048 of 9,626
I think we should move on to a HD660S impression thread. Only for people who like the headphone. I actually don't care how many other cans someone can get for the same price. I only have one head so what.

Excellent idea, then you no longer need be irritated when someone engages with the title of this thread! :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #3,049 of 9,626
Excellent idea, then you no longer need be irritated when someone engages with the title of this thread! :wink:
No Mike, just to just to have the war about comparison, pricing and bashing here and the peace and joy somewhere else! :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #3,052 of 9,626
HD660S has a relatively weak bass below 60Hz, but you can still hear something there. HD58X's bass under 60Hz is even weaker. I personally can't go for anything weaker than hd660s/hd650 in the sub-bass. I know, they're not expensive planars or even dynamic closed-back, but I want to be able to hear a hint of sub-bass at least.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #3,053 of 9,626
Does the 660 sound like the birth child of the HD600 and the HD650 in terms of the treble energy? Closer to a middle ground of the two? Which of the two are brighter of the two, the 600 or the 660?

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #3,054 of 9,626
In terms of amplitude, the hd600 is a bit stronger in the high-midrange and lower treble. The hd660s' treble is more defined, more textured. Some are bothered by the hd600's peak at 3.5khz and others by the more revealing and lively character of the hd660s, which they consider aggressive at times. I, personally, could easily live with either of them. Problems for me start in the hd700-hd800 territory and with all Beyers, most AKG's, Grados and other brands
The hd650 doesn't have the 3.5khz bump, nor the lively and extra-revealing treble, so it's the best for relaxed, non-critical listening.

I know, Mark will come and talk about the hd650 being used as studio headset and what not, but I've seen a lot of times in the studios speakers placed in front of glass walls, on large bare desks, speakers with almost no bass etc, studio people don't always know what they're doing or they only need some components and characteristics of the sound. Some use cheap 1 way speakers, to make the tracks sound good on that etc. Or let's remember some legendary studio speakers that sounded atrocious, like the Yamaha NS, with unbearable high-midrange and zero bass. As studio speakers or headphones, they sometimes serve a purpose other than the best sound possible, like revealing better only one part of the sound, testing the tracks on most popular brands or types of speakers-headsets etc.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #3,055 of 9,626
In terms of amplitude, the hd600 is a bit stronger in the high-midrange and lower treble. The hd660s' treble is more defined, more textured. Some are bothered by the hd600's peak at 3.5khz and others by the more revealing and lively character of the hd660s, which they consider aggressive at times. I, personally, could easily live with either of them. Problems for me start in the hd700-hd800 territory and with all Beyers, most AKG's, Grados and other brands
The hd650 doesn't have the 3.5khz bump, nor the lively and extra-revealing treble, so it's the best for relaxed, non-critical listening.

I know, Mark will come and talk about the hd650 being used as studio headset and what not, but I've seen a lot of times in the studios speakers placed in front of glass walls, on large bare desks, speakers with almost no bass etc, studio people don't always know what they're doing or they only need some components and characteristics of the sound. Some use cheap 1 way speakers, to make the tracks sound good on that etc. Or let's remember some legendary studio speakers that sounded atrocious, like the Yamaha NS, with unbearable high-midrange and zero bass. As studio speakers or headphones, they sometimes serve a purpose other than the best sound possible, like revealing better only one part of the sound, testing the tracks on most popular brands or types of speakers-headsets etc.
Compared to the HD800, the HD650 and HD660S sound both veiled, lol. But to me the highs of the HD800 sound sweet, revealing and not pearcing at all. My HD800 is over 5 years old and very well broken in with thousands of hours. Got it used for a good price.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #3,056 of 9,626
Compared to the HD800, the HD650 and HD660S sound both veiled, lol. But to me the highs of the HD800 sound sweet, revealing and not pearcing at all. My HD800 is over 5 years old and very well broken in with thousands of hours. Got it used for a good price.
Dis is what happens when you shove stabbing HD800 knives in the ears over time, everything becomes veiled(and probably real life sounds as well. LOL). I'm sure that treble broke a lot of ears as well. LOL.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #3,057 of 9,626
Dis is what happens when you shove stabbing HD800 knives in the ears over time, everything becomes veiled(and probably real life sounds as well. LOL). I'm sure that treble broke a lot of ears as well. LOL.
:darthsmile:
Hd800 seems "veiled" compared to my Stax L300, even if the treble response of the Stax is smoother than the hd800 :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #3,058 of 9,626
I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I'm interested in the HD 660 S. Read multiple reviews that have me thinking hard about pulling the trigger. I have zero concerns about the sound and really only concerns about the build quality. The thing that has always kept me from delving into the Sennheiser trough is the use of plastics in the headband. I have a big noggin and I'm afraid I would eventually snap it.

Can anyone say if the build materials in the HD 660 S have changed from the 600 or 650? Particularly with regard to the headband?

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,059 of 9,626
I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me. I'm interested in the HD 660 S. Read multiple reviews that have me thinking hard about pulling the trigger. I have zero concerns about the sound and really only concerns about the build quality. The thing that has always kept me from delving into the Sennheiser trough is the use of plastics in the headband. I have a big noggin and I'm afraid I would eventually snap it.

Can anyone say if the build materials in the HD 660 S have changed from the 600 or 650? Particularly with regard to the headband?

Thanks.
It's identical.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #3,060 of 9,626

Thanks.
I think every reviewer said that the build quality is exactly the same like the older siblings. That is simply a fact. Only they are no longer painted. If you treat your gear with some respect it should be a safe buy for you. I have a big noggin too and did not break it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back