Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 8, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #2,147 of 9,628
I am really loving this headphone. It seems to have been tuned just for me. The Focal Clear may be going up for sale soon, hard to believe.
I have it on right now and still think this is a no brainer. It is that good.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #2,148 of 9,628
I am really loving this headphone. It seems to have been tuned just for me. The Focal Clear may be going up for sale soon, hard to believe.

....Blasphemy ..lol...maybe I should just cancel my Amazon.ca backorder and opt for one of these ebay offerings..
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 1.48.51 PM.png

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,149 of 9,628
....Blasphemy ..lol...maybe I should just cancel my Amazon.ca backorder and opt for one of these ebay offerings..
After some of the glowing statements I made on the Clear thread, I really feel like a hypocrite.

I think you should but it now. Your level of patience is amazing, I can't stand to wait even a day when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a piece of gear.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #2,151 of 9,628
Now that I've had a few days to give these some serious listening, I am definitely enjoying the tuning of the HD660S. I went into these pretty skeptically based on other reviews/info I have seen floating around and it turns out I am preferring them to the HD650s that I bought last year. That said, I still wouldn't recommend paying the full $500 MSRP for them if you have the HD600 or HD650/HD6XX already. The difference is noticeable but not mind blowing, and whether you like the change or not will be very subjective. With some patience and maybe a bit of haggling, the HD660S can be found in like-new/open box condition for around $380 or less. I will probably be selling my HD650s over the next couple weeks since I have no real need to keep both.

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #2,152 of 9,628
After some of the glowing statements I made on the Clear thread, I really feel like a hypocrite.

I think you should but it now. Your level of patience is amazing, I can't stand to wait even a day when I'm ready to pull the trigger on a piece of gear.

I know how that feels, honestly I feel these headphones have been tuned just for me as well. They have a tuning my ears absolutely adore. It seems to have my ideal tuning to it.

That’s interesting you feel that way about the Clear compared to the HD 660S. But I understand the feeling of an unexpected headphone sounding better than your other often more expensive headphones.

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #2,153 of 9,628

Wow, I feel just the opposite of you. I really, really tried to love the 660s but they just didn't do it for me. I returned them for a refund and just ordered the Clear.

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #2,154 of 9,628
Wow, I feel just the opposite of you. I really, really tried to love the 660s but they just didn't do it for me. I returned them for a refund and just ordered the Clear.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the 660S? I can see that opinions & reviews are pretty mixed with them, to each their own of course.

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #2,155 of 9,628
Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the 660S? I can see that opinions & reviews are pretty mixed with them, to each their own of course.

Well, I liked the extended treble response over the 650 in theory, but not in practice. With my equipment setup, there was some peakiness (is that a word?) to the 660s treble that made me cringe. Then again, I am very sensitive to sharper-sounding treble. YMMV, but they just weren't a good match for me with my particular equipment.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #2,156 of 9,628
Well, I liked the extended treble response over the 650 in theory, but not in practice. With my equipment setup, there was some peakiness (is that a word?) to the 660s treble that made me cringe. Then again, I am very sensitive to sharper-sounding treble. YMMV, but they just weren't a good match for me with my particular equipment.

Definitely sounds like a synergy thing, because I found the HD 660 S very smooth in the treble. I have noticed some systems they do sound bright though. The upper mids are a tad dry though on my system. Honestly getting rid of the stock cable really helped the HD 660 S for me, the HD 650/660S stock cables aren't very good to my ears.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #2,157 of 9,628
Definitely sounds like a synergy thing, because I found the HD 660 S very smooth in the treble. I have noticed some systems they do sound bright though. The upper mids are a tad dry though on my system. Honestly getting rid of the stock cable really helped the HD 660 S for me, the HD 650/660S stock cables aren't very good to my ears.
What cable are you using?

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2,158 of 9,628

I did replace the stock cable, with a balanced OCC cable from C3 Audio (I also have a Stefan Audio Art Equinox 1/4" cable). Didn't really help a lot.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #2,159 of 9,628
What cable are you using?

Just a canare cable from venus audio, a rather cheap cable but definitely improved on the headphone for me. I'll get something nicer once I get a balanced system. I haven't tried many expensive cables as I don't like putting too much money into cables. My most expensive cables are my power cables.

I did replace the stock cable, with a balanced OCC cable from C3 Audio (I also have a Stefan Audio Art Equinox 1/4" cable). Didn't really help a lot.

A lot more expensive than what I use, haven't used these headphones balanced yet. Wonder why they have that peakiness because I haven't heard it on mine or my friends HD 660 S who has much nicer gear than I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back