Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Feb 5, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #2,132 of 9,628
Only just become aware of the HD660s. Does the balanced cable work with all the Sony ( balanced connection ) Hi Res Dap's, such as WM1A & ZX300 ?

Yes, both the WM1A & ZX300 have 4.4mm Pentaconn, and the 660S ships with a Pentaconn cable.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #2,133 of 9,628
Only just become aware of the HD660s. Does the balanced cable work with all the Sony ( balanced connection ) Hi Res Dap's, such as WM1A & ZX300 ?
I run it from my WM1A balanced, they have a very good synergie, you will love it.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #2,134 of 9,628
I was warned there was a possible few month delay on getting my 660s but Sennheiser Canada now shows in stock so maybe, just maybe...Amazon.ca will get their back orders filled.
Hi Rob, did you finally receive the HD660S? Looking forward to your opinion.

Feb 6, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #2,135 of 9,628
Yes, both the WM1A & ZX300 have 4.4mm Pentaconn, and the 660S ships with a Pentaconn cable.

I run it from my WM1A balanced, they have a very good synergie, you will love it.

Thank you for your replies. How much difference would you say there is, from my present set up, of ZX2 ( TRRS ) Oppo PM3's. ( Appreciate, you may not have tried Oppo's, but was more interested in the difference from TRRS, to balanced ?

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #2,136 of 9,628
Thank you for your replies. How much difference would you say there is, from my present set up, of ZX2 ( TRRS ) Oppo PM3's. ( Appreciate, you may not have tried Oppo's, but was more interested in the difference from TRRS, to balanced ?
I still think that a well done unbalanced output stage is equal to a well made balanced one. Due to the relativ short cables it is not mandatory to run a headphone balanced. On the WM1A/Z the balanced output stage is much stronger than the unbalanced one. And the two amps don't share any components, they are both discrete from each other. The HD660S sounds definitely better from the balanced tap using the same volume. Better on all frequency ranges, more controlled and more impactful. Cannot comment on TRRS, as I only have the ZX1 not the ZX2.

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #2,137 of 9,628
I still think that a well done unbalanced output stage is equal to a well made balanced one. Due to the relativ short cables it is not mandatory to run a headphone balanced. On the WM1A/Z the balanced output stage is much stronger than the unbalanced one. And the two amps don't share any components, they are both discrete from each other. The HD660S sounds definitely better from the balanced tap using the same volume. Better on all frequency ranges, more controlled and more impactful. Cannot comment on TRRS, as I only have the ZX1 not the ZX2.

Thank you for your observations. It's most helpful. I've had my ZX2, for well over 2 years now, never tried TRRS, till receiving my cable last week. I'm absolutley blown away, by what i'm hearing. Details in my music, i'd never heard previously.....so i'm intrigued to know that "true balanced", is on another level.

The only way to find out is to buy, when finances allow ? Have you compared a ZX300 to the WMA1 ?

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2,138 of 9,628
Thank you for your observations. It's most helpful. I've had my ZX2, for well over 2 years now, never tried TRRS, till receiving my cable last week. I'm absolutley blown away, by what i'm hearing. Details in my music, i'd never heard previously.....so i'm intrigued to know that "true balanced", is on another level.

The only way to find out is to buy, when finances allow ? Have you compared a ZX300 to the WMA1 ?
No, just wanted to upgrade to a used ZX2. They were all too expensive for used devices, so I got an open box WM1A

Feb 6, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #2,139 of 9,628
No, just wanted to upgrade to a used ZX2. They were all too expensive for used devices, so I got an open box WM1A

Thanks for your further reply. I purchased my ZX2 new, Amazon deals. I won't pay full price for the WM1A, but was thinking of the ZX300, as a cheaper option. I would assume you would expect the WM1A to be better though, given the financial difference !

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #2,140 of 9,628
Hi Rob, did you finally receive the HD660S? Looking forward to your opinion.
Not yet...Sennheiser Canada looks like they have them in stock...but Amazon.ca and .us are still showing back-orderd...maybe they're waiting for all of those who got the one day 21% discount to cancel...lol
If I didn't already have the 800S and the $150 off I may have looked elsewhere...tempted to cancel...but I'll wait.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,141 of 9,628
Thanks for your further reply. I purchased my ZX2 new, Amazon deals. I won't pay full price for the WM1A, but was thinking of the ZX300, as a cheaper option. I would assume you would expect the WM1A to be better though, given the financial difference !
I would shoot for the WM1A if you can afford it. That is what I did and would do again. The ZX300 is a dap, the WM1A is the dap. But that is me and me only....

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #2,142 of 9,628
Not yet...Sennheiser Canada looks like they have them in stock...but Amazon.ca and .us are still showing back-orderd...maybe they're waiting for all of those who got the one day 21% discount to cancel...lol
If I didn't already have the 800S and the $150 off I may have looked elsewhere...tempted to cancel...but I'll wait.
That is sad. Or maybe they sell so good that Amazon waits till they have overstock to serve you. You are lost to an algorythm I guess.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,144 of 9,628
The HD660S arrived yesterday afternoon after I purchased a pair from the sale/trade forums the other day. After seeing them for sale in like-new condition for $375 shipped, I decided to pull the trigger. I wanted to buy a pair since release, but couldn't justify purchasing at full MSRP when I already have HD650s (purchased those new about a year ago).

Initial impressions are that the sub-bass is definitely more present than my HD650s and there is just more clarity & energy overall. As others have pointed out, the earpads are also noticeably thicker than seen on the HD650. I wasn't sure how I felt about the sound signature at first, but it is definitely growing on me. While I appreciate the more "laid back" signature of the HD650s, the HD660S isn't very far off and is far from sounding harsh or sibilant. Happy with the purchase so far.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,145 of 9,628

Users who are viewing this thread

Back