Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #1,696 of 9,628
I think you answered the question yourself. While the Beyer you mentioned may outperform when it comes to classical, it may not in other genre. These days, classical is just a small part of music universe. I owned hd800s for several months. I completely understand why hd800s retired. Many formidable cans have been introduced in terms of performance/price ratio.

No. For others dt880 can be wonderful in other genres. I love my hd800S with all genres of music. It's retired only because doesn't meet the reviewer tastes, while he should be able to estimate a sort of objective quality level despite his particular tastes. I personally hate Audi cars, nevertheless if I do a list of best cars I have to put them in for objective quality.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,697 of 9,628
No. For others dt880 can be wonderful in other genres. I love my hd800S with all genres of music. It's retired only because doesn't meet the reviewer tastes, while he should be able to estimate a sort of objective quality level despite his particular tastes. I personally hate Audi cars, nevertheless if I do a list of best cars I have to put them in for objective quality.

No. I loved my hd800s initially. It works great with classical. But it is thin sounding can. Also, vocal tonality is not really good compared to other high-end can. But if someone primarily listen classical, it could be the best one. Otherwise, it can't. I bought twice, but failed to keep it. Sold it twice.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,698 of 9,628
No. I loved my hd800s initially. It works great with classical. But it is thin sounding can. Also, vocal tonality is not really good compared to other high-end can. But if someone primarily listen classical, it could be the best one. Otherwise, it can't. I bought twice, but failed to keep it. Sold it twice.

Even if you prefer some other cans, hd800s have a base level of quality that no one can deny. I cant get behind completely writing off a can which will likely be very high quality.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,699 of 9,628
That's the big biggest error!!! You're inflating your personal view on the headphone to a general objective view.
For me the HD800S is perfectly balanced, with a warmish touch, with all genres. It got the quality, only doesn't find your own tastes, but find mine! So a good and professional reviewer should say "if you like this sound there's a lot of quality here, it's not my cup of tea, but can be your!". Otherwise is a blatant totally futile subjectivish bloggerish blogger.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #1,700 of 9,628
That's the big biggest error!!! You're inflating your personal view on the headphone to a general objective view.
For me the HD800S is perfectly balanced, with a warmish touch, with all genres. It got the quality, only doesn't find your own tastes, but find mine! So a good and professional reviewer should say "if you like this sound there's a lot of quality here, it's not my cup of tea, but can be your!". Otherwise is a blatant totally futile subjectivish bloggerish blogger.

Whether a blogger is joke or not is not what you determine. A market will determine it if that is the case.

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #1,701 of 9,628
Gentlemen, could we please move away from arguing about a reviewer and all cans of the universe and concentrate more on the HD660S?
PLEASE!

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #1,703 of 9,628
Yep...history has a way of repeating itself....in the above video Tyll happened to mention that headphones may be 30 years behind speaker development....that may be true as the 600 and 650 always have habit of bringing back memories of my pair of Advents from the early to mid 70s. : )

Nice!! I have 2 pairs of these babies. I always ran them in the "double Advent" setup...stacked pairs with the top pair upside down so that the tweeters are in the centre of the stack. I pull them out of storage occasionally and they always amaze me how incredibly good they sound especially now being driven by modern amplification and fed by my Rega turntable or CD player.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,704 of 9,628
Gentlemen, could we please move away from arguing about a reviewer and all cans of the universe and concentrate more on the HD660S?
PLEASE!
Yup! I want to speak about hd660S rendering of harmonic content in high frequencies. Cymbals and triangles luminosity and harmonic rendering in the 660S continues to mesmerize me. In comparison the 600's rendering is "muted" and "dry". Even my beloved hd800S seems to be less "saturated" in this. What is the experience of other 660S owners about this?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #1,707 of 9,628
I was lucky enough not to watch certain reviews otherwise I would not be in position to enjoy hd660s so much since October. Played from asus stx II with burson v6 vivid x3, senns are musical, fast, engaging, detailed and with worthy upgrades on the both ends. The vocals are intimate and seductive, the singer is singing in front of my nose :) while instruments are placed around in the air in 3d. They do need some 100-200h to work their magic on both ends.....I guess ignorance is bliss... :wink:
Cheers !

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,708 of 9,628
660s better for EDM than 650?
Yes the bass is faster in my opinion. Most people take closed cans for EDM though, because they can build up more pressure in the very low register. Under open cans you will not sweat as much as under a closed can. You exchange low end against dry ears....lol.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,709 of 9,628
I was lucky enough not to watch certain reviews otherwise I would not be in position to enjoy hd660s so much since October. Played from asus stx II with burson v6 vivid x3, senns are musical, fast, engaging, detailed and with worthy upgrades on the both ends. The vocals are intimate and seductive, the singer is singing in front of my nose :) while instruments are placed around in the air in 3d. They do need some 100-200h to work their magic on both ends.....I guess ignorance is bliss... :wink:
Cheers !
Same here since October.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,710 of 9,628
Is there any particular reason why more than 50% cans from major manufacturers are not worth buying.

If quality engineers have spent 2-3 yrs on any headphone, it should turn out to be quality. As happens with most hps. And also with other stuff like cars and bikes. Hardly any cars from quality manufacturers like bmw, Mercedes and even honda are not worth buying. Cause these companies have enough knowhow and quality engineers.
Its only a matter of taste, preferences and value for money that plays any role in determining which one to buy.
I am yet to hear a bad hp from a quality manufacturer.

Absolutely, it's all about the taste and preference and value for the money on individual basis. I don't have to defend Tyll, but he always does a great job stating his taste and preference. He didn't say HD660S is bad but the scale-ability/resolution didn't meet their predecessors - so he covered the value for the money as well in my opinion?

People can and will disagree with Tyll's opinions which is only natural and healthy, but negative personal attacks just because he doesn't like their shiny new toy? Saying things like he's old, his ears are old, etc. That's the reason I stated I like him because I actually believe there is a great value in having a reviewer like him who says what he really thinks. Speaking of industry - some companies want nothing but to rip you off. Some companies doesn't even have a qualified engineer but everything is OEM. Some companies merely put a revised part by OEM and paint in a new color and claim as if they did years of R&D. Most progress/R&D in the audio industry is not made by those brands we know, but actually by OEM companies most of us never heard of. But, when one of the industry's leading company puts out a successor to one of the most iconic line up which was adored so much by the community for years, but if their efforts seem half baked. I'm glad we have a reviewer like Tyll who does not side up with the manufacturer who puts money on his table - but rather speak frankly and loudly of what he really thinks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back