Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #1,636 of 9,628
@DavidA - would really appreciate if you would elaborate on where you agree and disagree with Tyll. Thanks.
As I noted earlier I like some headphone that Tyll doesn't like / hates like the HD700, most Grado, and Fostex TH series. There are headphones that Tyll likes that I don't care for like the Ether, EtherC and Ether Flow, HD600, HE1000, X2 and HE400S.

With the HD660S I'd have to agree with Tyll that its not a replacement for the HD650 since its closer in sound to the HD600 and should have been considered a totally new model in the HD6XX line (or considered a replacement fro the HD600) like how they added the HD650 to the HD600 to give 2 different tunings of the basic six hundred series. I'm one that had some issues with the HD600 sounding harsh / sibilant with some tracks due to the small treble peak and the HD660S didn't have this peak so to me its a good replacement for the HD600 while the HD650 is just a smoother more musical sound IMO but I think the supporting gear that one has will affect what an individual will hear.

When I went to a friends house to listen to the HD660S I took my HD650 and HD6XX and we compared them on various amps (MicroZOTL2, EC ZDS, Elise, BH Crack, HA-501, Liquid Carbon, Magni3) one thing we noted was that the HD660S sounds pretty good on almost any amp while the HD650 did sound better on the tube amps to both of us and my friends 2 daughters who are both musicians (violin, piano). The HD700 should not be considered within the six hundred series since its just a different sound signature. These days I'd rather listen with my original Ypsilon build which is what I replaced my HD600, its very easy to drive (sounds good even out of my crappy phone) and the sound is more dynamic, better bass and smoother highs with only the mids of the HD600 slightly better to me. My HD650 has been replaced with a Ypsilon R1 which is also very easy to drive, more dynamic, bass that goes deeper, cleaner and more detailed and highs that are more extended and smoother, it has made the HD650 sound boring to many after hearing the Ypsilon R1. The only down side to these Ypsilon builds is that they are DIY and not exactly cheap ($300-$450 for parts).

In the end for those that don't want to deal with amps and DACs the HD660S is a no brainer and a easy recommendation IMO but for those that are willing to carefully consider DACs and amps I'd still recommend the HD600/650.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,637 of 9,628
7CD7ADCB-92C4-48D9-ADC0-0ED5552C8BD2.jpeg
Not here to rain on anybody’s parade or stir some drama, but the 660S is clearly a progress forward, and an audibly better headphone than both the 600/650.

Not being objective here, they’re more resolving, more transparent, faster, more airy, tighter bass (although less bass bloom/ natural than a 650), and less grainy in the higher registers than the older generation headphones. I have all 3 and have been listening for a week for fun, and the 660S are a fantastic achievement on Sennheiser’s behalf. If, like me, you’ve had a preference for the 600’s over the 650’s, well the 660S is an evolution of it. It’s more reference tuned and slightly hotter in the treble/ quicker in the bass than the 650’s for certain.

Now if you’re charmed by the older generations’ famous “veil”, the smoothing effect they tend to have; know that the 660S doesn’t have that one bit. In consequence, it’s going to be less musical and more picky when it comes to pairing up with your equipment. There are instances where I do prefer the older headphones; but 80% of the time I’d reach for the 660S given the choice.

Gear I used for testing included Holo Spring lvl 3 -> ECP L2, Schiit Ragnarok, Questyle CMA800r, DNA Stratus as well as my portable equipment (Questyle QP1R, Chord Mojo/ dragonfly red)

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 18, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #1,638 of 9,628
As I noted earlier I like some headphone that Tyll doesn't like / hates like the HD700, most Grado, and Fostex TH series. There are headphones that Tyll likes that I don't care for like the Ether, EtherC and Ether Flow, HD600, HE1000, X2 and HE400S.

With the HD660S I'd have to agree with Tyll that its not a replacement for the HD650 since its closer in sound to the HD600 and should have been considered a totally new model in the HD6XX line (or considered a replacement fro the HD600) like how they added the HD650 to the HD600 to give 2 different tunings of the basic six hundred series. I'm one that had some issues with the HD600 sounding harsh / sibilant with some tracks due to the small treble peak and the HD660S didn't have this peak so to me its a good replacement for the HD600 while the HD650 is just a smoother more musical sound IMO but I think the supporting gear that one has will affect what an individual will hear.

When I went to a friends house to listen to the HD660S I took my HD650 and HD6XX and we compared them on various amps (MicroZOTL2, EC ZDS, Elise, BH Crack, HA-501, Liquid Carbon, Magni3) one thing we noted was that the HD660S sounds pretty good on almost any amp while the HD650 did sound better on the tube amps to both of us and my friends 2 daughters who are both musicians (violin, piano). The HD700 should not be considered within the six hundred series since its just a different sound signature. These days I'd rather listen with my original Ypsilon build which is what I replaced my HD600, its very easy to drive (sounds good even out of my crappy phone) and the sound is more dynamic, better bass and smoother highs with only the mids of the HD600 slightly better to me. My HD650 has been replaced with a Ypsilon R1 which is also very easy to drive, more dynamic, bass that goes deeper, cleaner and more detailed and highs that are more extended and smoother, it has made the HD650 sound boring to many after hearing the Ypsilon R1. The only down side to these Ypsilon builds is that they are DIY and not exactly cheap ($300-$450 for parts).

In the end for those that don't want to deal with amps and DACs the HD660S is a no brainer and a easy recommendation IMO but for those that are willing to carefully consider DACs and amps I'd still recommend the HD600/650.

Consensus among 4 people in the same room with good listening experiences is pretty significant evidence.

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #1,639 of 9,628
Not here to rain on anybody’s parade or stir some drama, but the 660S is clearly a progress forward, and an audibly better headphone than both the 600/650.

Not being objective here, they’re more resolving, more transparent, faster, more airy, tighter bass (although less bass bloom/ natural than a 650), and less grainy in the higher registers than the older generation headphones. I have all 3 and have been listening for a week for fun, and the 660S are a fantastic achievement on Sennheiser’s behalf. If, like me, you’ve had a preference for the 600’s over the 650’s, well the 660S is an evolution of it. It’s more reference tuned and slightly hotter in the treble/ quicker in the bass than the 650’s for certain.

Now if you’re charmed by the older generations’ famous “veil”, the smoothing effect they tend to have; know that the 660S doesn’t have that one bit. In consequence, it’s going to be less musical and more picky when it comes to pairing up with your equipment. There are instances where I do prefer the older headphones; but 80% of the time I’d reach for the 660S given the choice.

Gear I used for testing included Holo Spring lvl 3 -> ECP L2, Schiit Ragnarok, Questyle CMA800r, DNA Stratus as well as my portable equipment (Questyle QP1R, Chord Mojo/ dragonfly red)

Sennheiser HD660S sounds very good on Chord Mojo, the synergy between them is sweet, very nice indeed!

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #1,640 of 9,628

Nice, thanks!

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,641 of 9,628
Another detailed review and coincides with what i'm hearing perfectly including it's drawbacks.

Young ears for the win :)

Interesting review. It seems like one consistent theme that’s starting to emerge is that the 660s is sonically more of a replacement for the HD600 than the HD650.

Dec 18, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #1,642 of 9,628
Interesting review. It seems like one consistent theme that’s starting to emerge is that the 660s is sonically more of a replacement for the HD600 than the HD650.

If that's the case, then I'm wondering why Sennheiser is discontinuing the HD650 and not the HD600. It's like they're establishing a preference for bright phones going forward.

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #1,644 of 9,628
If that's the case, then I'm wondering why Sennheiser is discontinuing the HD650 and not the HD600. It's like they're establishing a preference for bright phones going forward.

Maybe because the 650 is not really discontinued ...... it's continuing on as the Massdrop HD6XX? Note the question mark. DOES the HD6xx sound the same as HD650?

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,645 of 9,628
Maybe because the 650 is not really discontinued ...... it's continuing on as the Massdrop HD6XX? Note the question mark. DOES the HD6xx sound the same as HD650?

They definitely sound very similar (no surprise there) but there is a slight difference in that they sound a bit more lively in the high frequencies, a tad lighter but tighter in the bass. I can definitely distinguish between them.

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,646 of 9,628
Sennheiser HD660S sounds very good on Chord Mojo, the synergy between them is sweet, very nice indeed!
Vocals are very sweet and clear and the treble is very detailed and musical but lacks upper extension.This is a combo that you can listen for hours,if only the soundstage was a little wider to make for immersive audiomachine listening..

Dec 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,647 of 9,628
Already, I have read a few posts on how this 150ohm move by Sennheiser is 'anti-consumer'.

My take is that move to 150ohm is a welcome move to many of us. Yet, I still wonder if that move was in essence vs marketing b.s.? Provided Tyll's measurements are solid, the maximum impedance goes over 400 ohm. There is just no way a portable device can drive it well - except a very few perhaps. Without doubt, Sennheiser engineers knew that fact better than anyone, but still their marketing decided on 'easier on portable' bandwagon. Sure, it maybe 'easier' than HD650 with 300 ohm. But, in my humble opinion an industry leader such as Sennheiser could have done a better job - either or both in engineer and in marketing.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,648 of 9,628
My take is that move to 150ohm is a welcome move to many of us. Yet, I still wonder if that move was in essence vs marketing b.s.? Provided Tyll's measurements are solid, the maximum impedance goes over 400 ohm. There is just no way a portable device can drive it well - except a very few perhaps. Without doubt, Sennheiser engineers knew that fact better than anyone, but still their marketing decided on 'easier on portable' bandwagon. Sure, it maybe 'easier' than HD650 with 300 ohm. But, in my humble opinion an industry leader such as Sennheiser could have a better job - either or both in engineer and in marketing.

It's the voltage sensitivity that rules, as amps are generally constant voltage generator, in the reality they generally give more volts for higher impedance. The 660S is only 1 dB/V more than the Hd650, and you can easily hear this by comparison (that it sounds not much louder, on every amp).

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,649 of 9,628
It's the voltage sensitivity that rules, as amps are generally constant voltage generator, in the reality they generally give more volts for higher impedance. The 660S is only 1 dB/V more than the Hd650, and you can easily hear this by comparison (that it sounds not much louder, on every amp).
It is 10 clicks on my dap. One a scale of 120.

Dec 18, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,650 of 9,628
My take is that move to 150ohm is a welcome move to many of us. Yet, I still wonder if that move was in essence vs marketing b.s.? Provided Tyll's measurements are solid, the maximum impedance goes over 400 ohm. There is just no way a portable device can drive it well - except a very few perhaps. Without doubt, Sennheiser engineers knew that fact better than anyone, but still their marketing decided on 'easier on portable' bandwagon. Sure, it maybe 'easier' than HD650 with 300 ohm. But, in my humble opinion an industry leader such as Sennheiser could have a better job - either or both in engineer and in marketing.

Those are some good points. My guess is they probably wanted a middle ground. HD700 also has that same max 400ohm impedance. However, at moderate and lower volumes the HD700 and 660S will be easier to drive from good mobile devices.

HD700 sounds very good from an iPhone 6/7/8 - I imagine an HD660S would do so as well. Again, not at ear bleed SPL, but just some laid back listening it should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back