Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 15, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #1,516 of 9,628
Something else to consider; I just had a look at the hd660s measurements from innerfidelity, what really sticks out for me in the phase response of the HD660s: its much worse than the HD600/HD650. Perhaps this could explain why to me the HD600/HD650 felt more natural/effortless.

Sorry but what phase response are you speaking of? The only acoustic hints about phase are what you can imply from square waves graphs, and they are better or at least equal in the Hd660S (on the bass the 660S is clearly better than the 600 in this regard).

If you're speaking about the impedance phase, this is electric data, from which you can't extrapolate nothing about acoustic phase behavior.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,517 of 9,628
Tried HD 660 S yesterday but man... I didn't like them at all. Didn't have the same airy, wide soundstage as HD 595. Also they clamped quite hard even though my head is far from being wide (or large). I guess once you get used to Sennheiser's with angled drivers, HD 6x0 series isn't really an option. Other than that they sounded quite similar to HD 595 except highs didn't seem to have same spark. All in all I'd consider HD 660 S as downgrade...

It was a quick test in non-optimal environment but I think I confirmed my fears (comfort and soundstage). On the other hand I also tested HD 800 S and I think I might actually prefer the non S version... It's definitely too pricey for my taste. So for me it's either HD 700 or wait.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,518 of 9,628
Tried HD 660 S yesterday but man... I didn't like them at all. Didn't have the same airy, wide soundstage as HD 595. Also they clamped quite hard even though my head is far from being wide (or large). I guess once you get used to Sennheiser's with angled drivers, HD 6x0 series isn't really an option. Other than that they sounded quite similar to HD 595 except highs didn't seem to have same spark. All in all I'd consider HD 660 S as downgrade...

It was a quick test in non-optimal environment but I think I confirmed my fears (comfort and soundstage). On the other hand I also tested HD 800 S and I think I might actually prefer the non S version... It's definitely too pricey for my taste. So for me it's either HD 700 or wait.

The hd595/598/599 are very well voiced headphones. They only have a bit of "papery" flavor on the mid-higs and a somewhat confused bass when compared to the higher end models. If they hadn't this "cheap" flaws, they will be some of the best headphones Sennheiser ever made, wonderfully comfortable too!

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,519 of 9,628
I finally managed to get to Audio 46 in Manhattan today to do a brief comparison between the 650 and 660. Right off the bat the 660's sound slightly brighter in the high frequencies, most notably in cymbal crashes as others have described. They also sounded less veiled than the 650's. Bass was fairly similar but to me the 650 goes slightly deeper but not as tight as the 660.

The 660 is way more efficient than the 650 requiring me to turn down the iCan amp quite a bit to volume match to the 660 output. Incidentally the source they provided was a Fiio X1. Overall I was very impressed with the 660, however I would have liked to have had a longer listening session but another person was interested in doing the same listening comparison.

Interestingly the HD6XX fits right between my 650 and what I heard in the 660. A pleasure to hear the 660.

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #1,520 of 9,628
The hd595/598/599 are very well voiced headphones. They only have a bit of "papery" flavor on the mid-higs and a somewhat confused bass when compared to the higher end models. If they hadn't this "cheap" flaws, they will be some of the best headphones Sennheiser ever made, wonderfully comfortable too!
I agree, the highs are very papery and grainy on the 595/598. There is a downward spike where sweet treble occurs.

Maybe they've thrown off the veil for 'graipery' or 'painey'

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,522 of 9,628

HD6x0/S line is more about cohesiveness and upper range smoothness than soundstage and sparkle.
Have you tried the AKG K702? From your comments you might like it and it's much cheaper than HD700.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #1,526 of 9,628
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,527 of 9,628
Ouch. That is a harsh review. The sheer volume of people that considers the 660S a side-grade or even a down-grade (like Tyll) over the 600/650 is quite disapointing. The 660S costs more than twice as much as the 600/650. At that price point it should have been a clear improvement for the majority of people.
When the 650 first came out it was around the same price as the 660 is now. It has come down in price over the years. The last remaining 650’s may be going up in value if it is really being discontinued.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,528 of 9,628
I have not heard these yet. However, I seen the outcome of this review coming !

Likewise....mine are still on back order.....personal preferences in play the "characteristic smoothness" is something I was hoping was somewhat removed on the 660s...looks like my wish came through. The mentioned graininess may be problematic and odd as I found the HD700s with the similar driver utterly grain free.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,529 of 9,628
Ouch. That is a harsh review. The sheer volume of people that considers the 660S a side-grade or even a down-grade (like Tyll) over the 600/650 is quite disapointing. The 660S costs more than twice as much as the 600/650. At that price point it should have been a clear improvement for the majority of people.

Yes it was a harsh review, but honestly I expected his review to be like that, I don't personally see eye to eye with him on the sound but it's good he's honest in his review. This is shaping up to be one controversial headphone and may honestly start being underappreciated by all these mixed reviews.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,530 of 9,628
HD6x0/S line is more about cohesiveness and upper range smoothness than soundstage and sparkle.
Have you tried the AKG K702? From your comments you might like it and it's much cheaper than HD700.
Judging by the Innerfidelity measurements it's probably quite close to HD 595 but that's the thing: It probably wouldn't be an upgrade. Just something slightly different with a large downgrade in comfort - I do value comfort quite high.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back