Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #14,161 of 46,514
HD650's were one of my first and current cans. At literally every Canjam I'm always sold on some new cans until I get back home and my HDs convince me otherwise. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #14,163 of 46,514
  Finally got the balanced cable for my 650's so I could get them up and running on my Mjolnir. Now let me say that I try very hard not to be hyperbolic when I comment here so I am going to try very hard to temper my enthusiasm. I am not very good at articulating what I am hearing so I am not got to try and review anything here. That being said, to say I am impressed with how well the 650's scale would be an understatement. 

I have a bunch of XLR sockets and plugs on order to convert my amp/HD650's to a balanced setup, ^ that is music to my ears
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #14,164 of 46,514
Just picked up a pair of HD 650's and so far I love them. I have been thinking of maybe the HD 700's but it seems to me like I'd be better off buying a nice portable DAC/amp and the 650's for the money.

At home I listen through my Peachtree Nova Pre and the 650's are amazing!!!

Rob

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #14,169 of 46,514
Hi,

I have a small problem with my cans. The earcup connection with the headband makes a "noise" if they move. If I adjust them properly they will not move while on my head, and the noise disappear.

Does anybody ele has the same problem?

Thanks,

Daniel

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #14,170 of 46,514
Hi,

I have a small problem with my cans. The earcup connection with the headband makes a "noise" if they move. If I adjust them properly they will not move while on my head, and the noise disappear.

Does anybody ele has the same problem?

Thanks,

Daniel

Kind of a squeaking noise? If they are new (or relatively new), it's normal. Mine had the exact same issue. It stopped doing it with time and use, like a few weeks. Don't worry about it.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #14,172 of 46,514
  Finally got the balanced cable for my 650's so I could get them up and running on my Mjolnir. Now let me say that I try very hard not to be hyperbolic when I comment here so I am going to try very hard to temper my enthusiasm. I am not very good at articulating what I am hearing so I am not got to try and review anything here. That being said, to say I am impressed with how well the 650's scale would be an understatement. 

+1

That balanced cable enables all the big three Senn HD's for balanced duty.   Too my utter surprise, my 580's have  scaled up several notches as well.   What an amazing series of headphones.  

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #14,173 of 46,514
Guys, please recall that it is important to differentiate between balanced designs (i.e. simply having equal impedance to ground) and true differential amps (i.e. push pull designs that actually eliminate common mode distortion).

All differential amps are balanced.  Not so the other way around.  Frankly, neither such quality of a given amplifier (or lack thereof), taken in isolation, should make a day and night difference in perceived sound quality.  

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #14,174 of 46,514
  Guys, please recall that it is important to differentiate between balanced designs (i.e. simply having equal impedance to ground) and true differential amps (i.e. push pull designs that actually eliminate common mode distortion).

All differential amps are balanced.  Not so the other way around.  Frankly, neither such quality of a given amplifier (or lack thereof), taken in isolation, should make a day and night difference in perceived sound quality.  

Additionally, I don't think I've ever seen any of the major headphone manufacturers claim that balanced was audibly different than single ended.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing any of the major amp manufacturers claiming that either.

One would think that if there really was an audible difference, and it sounded better, the entire industry would have migrated to balanced amps and headphones fifteen or twenty years ago.

But maybe I'm wrong.  Can anybody help me out here?

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #14,175 of 46,514
Hey USG! Been a while since we've crossed paths. Hope life is treating you well.

Following up the above, I'm presently building a bh mainline (which has both se and balanced outs, but is not a push pull topology). doc b., who is, in my mind, about as reputable and gracious as they come, recently suggested in the bh forums that he does perceive some improvement in bass when running balanced off this amp. In essence, the ground pins of the 4 pin xlr output are wired from the two output transformer secondaries. See http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,4616.0.html

Hoping to finish my mainline in the next week or so, and then I will eventually diy a cable to see if I can hear the same. I'm very curious about it since my understanding was the same as yours prior to reading doc's comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back