Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #13,715 of 46,499
@Gilly87: Maybe I'm expensive for my wife
tongue.gif

Getting the HD650 in just a few hours now. Can't wait to finally hear them. The suspense is killing me.

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #13,716 of 46,499
I'm curious, what did you see as the major differences? Which did you think was better?

Also have you, by any chance, heard the Meridian Explorer?

Has anyone tried the HD650 with both the ODAC and HRT streamer II+? I'm very curious to hear if others' impressions of the subtle-yet-clear difference are as mine...   My amp is O2, by the way.

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #13,719 of 46,499
That was nifty but I can't quite get that last part about the bass :p

ssɐq ɔıʇǝƃɹuǝ ǝɹoɯ puɐ ɹɐǝlɔ puɐ pǝuıɟǝɹ ǝɹoɯ sı ┴ɹH ǝɥ┴ (spoiler mode). I wonder if it's due to the high output of it which obviously plays louder with the knob left at the same position, and higher volume always sounds better.

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #13,722 of 46,499
  A full balanced system will give some benefits to the sound. Transitions between balanced and unbalanced on the other hand will outweigh any benefits. Just my 2c

Agreed. Since he has HDVD 800 (Should be fully balanced I believe) then it seems a bit of a shame that he hasn't recabled yet to try the balanced outputs offered by the amp/DAC.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #13,723 of 46,499
  Agreed. Since he has HDVD 800 (Should be fully balanced I believe) then it seems a bit of a shame that he hasn't recabled yet to try the balanced outputs offered by the amp/DAC.

honestly, he could even just re-terminate the stock cable with a $5 neutrik 4pin xlr plug. definitely the cheapest way to go if you wanna see what balanced is all about! I've been doing that for my own headphones since i'm rather handy with a soldering iron =P

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #13,725 of 46,499
Guys, I am curious what do you like on hd650 over hd600?

Slight better low bass extension/presence. I had both the 580/600 at the time for comparisons. Some pairs probably have the same.
A little less grainy sounding. Good luck hearing the difference. It requires specific music with a good soundstage.
Better soundstage, but don't remember if it's larger. On my HD-650 it sometimes feels like I can hear stuff coming from slightly behind me on the left and right. I experienced this less on the HD-600.
Fuller mids but yet strangely my HD-600 had more of a mid-bass hump. No joke!
My HD-650 doesn't sound any darker at all and I prefer it over the HD-600 for female vocals. This pair doesn't sound like it has recessed upper mids even remotely. No distant sounding female vocals here.

My HD-650 actually sounded smoother and yet less boring/veiled. Don't hate me!

HD-600 to ME is the most boring headphone ever made and not because it's neutral. I don't think it is but close enough.

BTW I actually think the HD-580 sounds closer to the HD-650 sound. Yeah and only due to that plastic grill!

I think I have a love/hate thing with the K701 and HD-600. That's why I have the HD-650 and Q701
biggrin.gif
Both are near perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back