Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #13,682 of 46,552

Thanks a lot folks! Yeah, I am no 'true' audiophile and frankly will probably never notice the difference, as long as I do not need to convert my entire library to FLAC or similar to get the most out of the HD650s, that was my primary concern. Now I really cannot wait for them to get to my house next week! :D

You're welcome, we're excited for you too!

BTW... unless you're converting/ripping FLAC from CD's... there is no point upsampling your mp3s to FLAC... can't take lower quality files and magically "add" quality to it right? It'll convert... but it'll just be filling in the gaps with emptiness.

Let us know your impressions when you get the HD650s!
beerchug.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #13,684 of 46,552
I'll bet getting the HD650 wednesday. Think I got a good deal for 230 euro and just couldn't let them pass. Hope they work well with my Aune T1. Will post some thoughts when they arrive. Anyone else running the HD650 through the Aune T1?

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #13,685 of 46,552
  I'll bet getting the HD650 wednesday. Think I got a good deal for 230 euro and just couldn't let them pass. Hope they work well with my Aune T1. Will post some thoughts when they arrive. Anyone else running the HD650 through the Aune T1?

I have listeed to that combo before.  I thought it sounded great!  The brightness of the T1 gave a nice kick to the 650.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #13,687 of 46,552
I have had these headphones for many years now. Recently, I extended my collection with several other headphones and there is definately something missing when listening to classical through hd650. There is no bite and lustre in the sound of the violins and the feeling of "being there" in the concert hall is simply missing. Hd650 is my least preferred headphone for classical music. They sound too dull, lifeless and congested to be interesting for classical. My AKG headphones, especially k501 master classical with authority and naturalness. HD580 are much nicer for classical too. Hd650 are still very nice for rock and some jazz.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #13,688 of 46,552
Usually when I've found the HD-650 to sound congested or lacking in soundstage it's due to a bad amp match. To my ears it needs something dead neutral that's not dark/warm. Same with the DAC. Apparently some people have paired it with warmer sounding amps and got good results but I can't imagine what that sounds like. I'm sure you've tried many different setups and had it sound the same.

It makes sense why the K501 would sound better with classical sometimes. It basically has very little warmth, sort of lean(er) mids and poor low bass extension. That's how mine sounded. K400 sounds amazing with acoustic music and classical but something is just weird about it. I love the K400 EP for female vocals but with rock it's pretty awful. Oh and it helps that the soundstage of the K501 is massive. The one I had was. Can even the HD-800 match it's size? It would be hard to imagine.

My HD-650 definitely has a better and bigger soundstage than the 580 but I do love the 580.

Also..some HD-650s might sound a little different. I had one that had a larger mid-bass hump and was dark. The soundstage was definitely more closed in. That pair was purchased in 2012 I think.

Yesterday I used a Denon 1920 cd player as a source and magically my HD-650 sounded even more airy and spacious sounding than before. I was really weirded out by that. Best deal I've had at the thrift store for just $10!!

Loving the Modi with the HD-650 but haven't tried it with my new Asgard 2 yet.

Modded Q701 now gets all my time but the 650 is my next favorite that's open.

I really don't know if I could live with just one headphone! An AKG and a HD-650 is a good pair to have since they're different enough (OK, maybe not the "Annie" or K712).

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #13,689 of 46,552
Would agree that some of the "congestion" of the HD-650 may be caused by weaker amps inability to completely "grab hold" of those high impedance drivers.

However, as posted on the last page, I was really surprised at how much the 650s opened up for classical music when I added EQ around the 5K region (started with + 0.5 db at 3 K, worked up to peak of +3 db at 5K, and then worked back to flat by 10K).  Violins have more edge and bite, and there is more air and ambiance in classical recording I previously thought to be "dull."  

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #13,690 of 46,552
I'm currently owning a Matrix M-Stage to power my hd650. I'd like to know what would be a good update in the amp market as now? It's my bed setup so it's hooked directly into the  ipod classic 6gen  dock out.

Buying a Dac that won't be reading my 320kps mp3 is kinda out of question, as it's on the side of my bed (no computer here)

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #13,692 of 46,552
I like the 650 as an all rounder and listen to rock with them on occasion. The general consensus would likely say that these are somewhat slow for faster rock music. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #13,693 of 46,552
Before going balanced on Mjolnir/Gungnir, I would have easily preferred the Annies 90% of the time over the HD650 for classical. However, once balanced... the soundstage change was incredible (could be Mjolnir too)... but ultimately for classical now the HD650 easily wins for any larger orchestral pieces just simply from the sheer soundstage and presence of the concert hall. However, smaller ensemble pieces or piano solos, I like the Annies more.

For acoustic guitars Annies more...

Nearly everything else.... HD650s (on Mojo/Gungnir it's just no contest for most songs compared to Annies on E09K/Gungnir)

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #13,694 of 46,552
  are these any decent for rock?

I have them hooked up to a schiit bifrost uber/valhalla and listen to 80s metal and rock all the time.  It really depends on the rips and source material.  Sometimes the original source wasn't that great to begin with.  I'm not an audiophile, but I know that the combo I have is the best I've heard ever and see no reason for myself to buy something more expensive.  I did order a toxic cable that should help it sound even better.  

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #13,695 of 46,552
I have them hooked up to a schiit bifrost uber/valhalla and listen to 80s metal and rock all the time.  It really depends on the rips and source material.  Sometimes the original source wasn't that great to begin with.  I'm not an audiophile, but I know that the combo I have is the best I've heard ever and see no reason for myself to buy something more expensive.  I did order a toxic cable that should help it sound even better.  

Don't expect a big change with cables. When I bought my senns it came with 3 aftermarket cables. I could not hear any changes at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back