Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #13,111 of 46,514
Yup. I did the stoney's point #2. Just bend only the metal part of the headband (extend them to a max first so the metal fully appear) very gently and careful. Just becareful with your holding position when u do the bending because all the parts around is made of (fragile) plastic.

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #13,112 of 46,514
Would anyone who removed the foam pads and doesn't want them be willing to send them to me for a mod project? 
size]

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #13,113 of 46,514
My current setup is Asus Xonar D1 -> FiiO E09k/E17 combo -> Sennheiser HD598/Denon D2000.  Endgame for me is probably HD650 with a suitable setup.  I realize that the E09k/E17 is probably not optimal for this setup, but would my next logical step be a can upgrade or an amp/dac upgrade?  The E09k/E17 is more than enough for these very easy-to-drive headphones, but I want to upgrade logically.

Any tips?

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #13,114 of 46,514
Quote:
My current setup is Asus Xonar D1 -> FiiO E09k/E17 combo -> Sennheiser HD598/Denon D2000.  Endgame for me is probably HD650 with a suitable setup.  I realize that the E09k/E17 is probably not optimal for this setup, but would my next logical step be a can upgrade or an amp/dac upgrade?  The E09k/E17 is more than enough for these very easy-to-drive headphones, but I want to upgrade logically.

Any tips?

That's a dangerous question without setting a budget 
wink.gif

Personally, I actually started with the HD650 on the E09K/E17 combo... and honestly it deserves more credit than what most people give it. For the price, it is honestly hard to beat. When I got hit with upgraditis, I was dead set on grabbing the Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC and the Schiit Asgard 2... If you wanna spend under $1000 this is likely the combo of choice. But... the Asgard 2 was way backordered at the time, so I stumbled on a good used Mojo/Gung stack (fortunately for my ears, unfortunately for my wallet). If budget isn't too much of a problem for you and you wanna hear how well the HD650 scales... balanced is certainly a treat.

If you're on a budget and you gotta upgrade one piece at a time, I would highly recommend getting a nicer DAC first... from my A/Bing it makes a bigger difference in sound quality than amp. Gungnir into the E09K vs. the E17 into the E09K and I can still hear a significant difference. Good source is quite important... like the old adage goes "garbage in garbage out", the amp's main job is just to amplify what you have.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #13,116 of 46,514
Quote:
joebobbilly - Thanks.  Answered my question perfectly.

That said, what I took from your post is Cans > DAC > Amp?

I would say its more like Cans > Amp > DAC > Source >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cabling.

You can take a look in my gear list, I have all those DACs and can tell very little difference between them with none at all between most.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #13,117 of 46,514
Quote:
joebobbilly - Thanks.  Answered my question perfectly.

That said, what I took from your post is Cans > DAC > Amp?

Yea, that would be my priority list IMHO. And yes, I do believe cables can provide beneficial improvements to sound... just not as drastically as the rest of the chain. They should be the last thing you consider upgrading.

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #13,118 of 46,514
Quote:
Yea, that would be my priority list IMHO. And yes, I do believe cables can provide beneficial improvements to sound... just not as drastically as the rest of the chain. They should be the last thing you consider upgrading.

...Unless you have a balanced amp

Then get balanced cables ASAP...

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #13,121 of 46,514
Has anyone here used the HD650 with the Valhalla? (stock or maybe upgraded tubes?)  I went to a recent meet and was really impressed with the T1/Valhalla setup and am curious on to how well it matches with the HD650.  Am I better off just saving up for a Bottlehead Crack?  How about the Darkvoice 336? 

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #13,122 of 46,514
Quote:
Has anyone here used the HD650 with the Valhalla? (stock or maybe upgraded tubes?)  I went to a recent meet and was really impressed with the T1/Valhalla setup and am curious on to how well it matches with the HD650.  Am I better off just saving up for a Bottlehead Crack?  How about the Darkvoice 336? 

It'll be good, just like the Crack.  I'm guessing you were at the LA meetup last weekend.  I had one of the two Cracks there -- mine had the HD650 and the other guy had an HD600.  Anyways, hearing the HD650 on the Valhalla inspired me to consider an OTL amp for it ... after much thought, I eventually decided to go the Crack+Speedball route, but I'd have also been happy with the Valhalla.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #13,123 of 46,514
Quote:

I didn't love the HD650 w/ the Valhalla. I thought it was surprisingly bright, depending on the track. For me...it was, meh. Wish I could hear it with the Crack! 

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #13,125 of 46,514
Quote:

I have the 650 with the Valhala with a set of mid 70's Russian tubes, the sound is quite sublime. I have not heard the Crack, but the Darkvoice is very nice as well, though I prefer the Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back