Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #12,991 of 46,525
Quote:

I actually have leather (or pleather) pads on my LEs.  The velours are more comfy, but the difference in sound was worth it as a trade off.  I'll notice them get a tad oily from my skin on hotter nights, but nothing too crazy.  I too wear glasses.

Also, to your benefit, I find the Asgard 2 to sound great with both the DT 770 and the HD 650, so it's definitely a good option to consider should you choose to get an amp sooner than later.

Yeah, I love the extra kick the leather pads give also I got these Beyers because I was living in noisy area and they seal really well.
Will definitely think about getting Asgard 2, do I need a DAC to go with it or does it come with cable that it can be used with computer through audiocard? (Seems to be 2 RCA inputs)

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #12,992 of 46,525
I just got a cable loan from a friend. Alo 18awg silver cable for my hd650. I tested and compared between 2 other cables which are 24awg toxic silver cable and 24awg double helix copper cable. For me..i like hd650 with silver cable. The sound of hd650 somehow a bit too warm for my taste for some songs. Like the sound is too wet and need a bit of a dry and analitical character.. The most noticeable different is when i used the toxic silver cable. Eventhough i feel like the body of the sound (including bass) is a bit lesser..but improved in clarity is noticeable and i think is a very good match. The silver alo 18awg is different. It did not reduce the warmth of the hd650 at all. The highs i feel like better extended just a bit. The sound was a bit more open. But the problem is...the hd650 still remain overly warm too me. That means...it might improves the sound just by a bit but not as noticeable as the toxic cable. The strange is..even though this is a silver cable...but the bass remain the same and i feel like they hit even deeper compared to the stock cable. I suspect this might be caused by the cable size is bigger (but i am not too sure). For some..this kind of sound might be good if you like warm sounding. But as for now...i still prefer the toxic silver cable 24awg.. I will have some more listening time with it and see how it goes.

Btw...i found using the Toxic silver cable is good when plug into desktop rig...but when i use my portable rig...i think the body of the sound is a bit shrinking like too much reduced which i dont like.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #12,993 of 46,525
Guys check this review out 

[size=small] 4.0 out of 5 stars Warm, rich, and elegant., June 17, 2013[/size]

[size=small] By 
Christian G. Rivera (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   

[/size]

[size=x-small] Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)[/size]

[size=x-small] This review is from: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones (Electronics)[/size]

[size=small]Oh, one of the most beloved and well known headphones in the audiophile community. These were my 'dream' headphone since the beginning of my audiophile journey. One I never thought I'd ever buy back then. It's also one of the few headphones that after I learned what sonic quality I wanted in a headphone, didn't think I would personally like. If I had bought them months or years ago, I'm not sure I would've liked them. I tend to prefer a bright, aggressive, bass and treble-centric headphone. The HD650 is known to be the opposite. Dark/warm, relaxed, and smooth, with dulled treble response. You can see why I was very adamant about not ever giving these a chance.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]It wasn't until recently that I wanted to venture out and look for something a little different from my normal preferences. An alternative that I'd use whenever I wanted to sit back, and enjoy a soothing sound, with forward mids/vocals that I could watch my TV shows, movies, anime with. Ironically, my secondary can is considerably more expensive than my main can (DT990s) at the time. Lol, Head-fi logic. Well, I went and took the plunge, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I thought I would hate them. Really. It was an experiment that would cost me, but one I needed to do at some point, as the HD650 was always that ONE headphone I was always curious about (more than any other).[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]So what happened? Did I like them? Hate them? To my surprise... I loved them for music, movies, TV, and anime, and liked but wasn't thrilled by them for gaming. Let's get into the sound.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Bass: The lows. Well, this is surprising. They are actually pretty bassy. Not DT990 bassy, but they have a nice, full, bassy sound. I'd say it's between the DT880 and 990 in presence. It's a warm bass, with medium speed. Pretty much ideal for all-rounder headphones with good bass that would please those that like balance and a fun signature. The bass quantity is enjoyable for all crowds, unless you're a pure neutral-head or pure bass-head. I didn't find myself wanting more bass, though they do roll off in the sub-bass, which is typical of most dynamic headphones, something the HE-400 has no problems with.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]If I could score the bass, it'd be; Quantity: 7.5, Quality: 8. Just really pleasing bass all around.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Mids: This is the star of the show. And when I say star... I mean, it is absolutely one of the best interpretation of mids/vocals I have EVER heard on any headphone...EVER. I'm usually fine with mid recession as I tend to prefer bass and treble emphasis, but MAN... once I heard the HD650... it made me see mids in a whole new light. The vocals are so sweet, so upfront, so rich, so haunting! Based on mids alone, I recommend this headphone to ANYONE looking for a headphone that does vocals some amazing justice. The only other headphone that provides really sweet mids that I've heard is the Audio Technica ESW9, but the ESW9 is a closed on ear, with a considerably smaller soundstage, and overly smooth treble, and stuffy sound signature in comparison. The ESW9 is good, but not HD650 good.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The HD598 also has very forward mids, but I felt the lean bass, and thinner sound, made the mids sound unnaturally forward and shouty. The warmth and fullness of the HD650 basically destroyed any chance the HD598 had in a direct comparison. There was no competition. The HD650's mids demolish the HD598's in tone, realism, and richness. The HE400 is often compared to the HD650, and despite my preference for the HE400, the HD650 is clearly the king of mids here. The HE400 has great, INTEGRATED mids, that don't sound pushed back or forward with a realistic tone. That being said, the HD650's forward mids are special. The HD650 clearly wins here. As far as Q701 and HD650's mids, the HD650 wins again. The Q701 has forward mids, but they aren't nearly as full sounding, or as rich.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Long story shot, the mids are godly. If I had to score them: Quantity: 10, Quality: 10. That is perfection, because that's how I feel about the HD650's mids.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Treble: Oh the treble. This is single-handedly the ONLY reason I have put off getting the HD650 for so long. If you read about the HD650, the treble will always be discussed and debated on. Are they too smooth, rolled off, undetailed... veiled? This is a debate that will never end on Head-fi. As a fan of treble sparkle and some emphasis, I was absolutely mortified about hearing what people said of the HD650's smooth, laid back, dull, treble.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]So how did they sound to me? Surprisingly, I REALLY liked the treble! I didn't LOVE it. I still do prefer some more sparkle, but as the relaxing alternative to my typical treble emphasized headphones, I didn't find the treble overly smooth or dull on the HD650. Trust me, when your main can is the DT990 which is known for it's SUPER treble emphasis, and compare it directly to the much more reserved and rolled off treble of the HD650, you would tend to notice a huge difference. In all honestly, I really thought the treble on the HD650s was right where it should be for the type of headphone that the HD650 is. Without that treble, I think the HD650 wouldn't sound as rich and 'creamy' as they do. Would I use the HD650s as my ONLY headphone? To be frank, no. They performed well in absolutely everything except genres that desired an aggressive signature. Stuff like metal, and EDM just didn't have the energy on the HD650s. So no, they aren't the perfect all rounders. However, through some vocal dependent tracks, and stuff like movies, TV, and most non-music needs (even gaming), the HD650s are indeed in a very good place. Unfortunately, I tend to listen to EDM and metal more than anything, so the HD650 lost a few points.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]To score the treble; Quality: 7, Quantity: 7. If the treble is boosted by a bit, these could be what I'd consider very natural to neutral with a slight emphasis towards bass. I think they'd be less rich overall though, so I personally wouldn't want to touch what makes the HD650 what they are.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Amping: I have the HD650 paired up with the Audio-GD SA-31 which is much more powerful than pretty much any amp most of you use, or would use, so I'm not exactly sure how they'd sound with less power, but I personally felt that they aren't as hard to drive as people make them out to be. They need considerably less power than the DT990/600, and possibly even the DT990/250. I'd say they'd need about as much as the DT990/32 for at LEAST volume level. We know power =/= volume, but it helps. To be clear: they do not need a lot to be driven LOUDLY. I tested them with the Mixamp only, and they can be driven off it loud enough. I didn't test it enough to see how well they're actually driven, but they sounded good. They may be a little thinner sounding, which could actually be a good thing for gaming, as it makes pinpointing sounds a bit easier than the very rich, thick signature the HD650s have with the SA-31.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Okay, so how did they perform for gaming?[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]---START GAMER SECTION---[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Soundstage: I haven't gotten to the specifics of gaming with the HD650s yet, but I'll mention the soundstage first. With and without extra amping the Mixamp, I felt the HD650's soundstage to be medium sized. Not big, and not little. However, I didn't find them to be stellar in terms of depth, so the sense of space for gaming, wasn't as good as I would have hoped. I was always expecting the HD650 to not be the greatest pairing for Dolby Headphone, and my fears were slightly warranted. The front/back depth isn't great. Let's get that out of the way. The width is good, but not close to being the best. The DT990 destroys the HD650 in both depth and width. So how's the air within the soundstage? Well, the problem with the HD650, is that it's a very full sounding headphone. Thick, warm tone tends to make the soundstage seems less airy and smaller. This is one of those times where a thinner/leaner sounding headphone has the advantage, like the AD700/HD598/K701. The HD650 isn't STUFFY like say the ESW9, but that rich tonality doesn't help gamers.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Positioning: Positioning and soundstage tend to go hand in hand, so if the soundstage isn't great, the positional cues will suffer. How did the HD650 fare positional-wise? Well, they were good. Not great, and could obviously be better, but they do their job. I could play something like Black Ops without any problems, though having used headphones much better for soundstage/positioning, I could tell they lacked a bit. I'd put the HD650 just ever so slightly above the DT880 positional wise, but they aren't that much better.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Clarity: You need clarity for soundwhoring in competitive gaming. Despite the laid back treble, I found the natural tone of the HD650 to be very detailed. The forward mids came off very clean and clear, and I felt I didn't miss any sounds. I've heard better overall (even the 990's are better for soundwhoring). The problem is that the HD650 is a very thick sounding headphone. Basically, the issues I explained in the soundstage section is what hurts clarity for gaming purposes.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]---END GAMER SECTION---[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Comfort: I mentioned that Sennheiser likes their clamp. The HD201, HD280 Pro (!), PC360, and HD598 all have some form of clamp. The HD650 is no different. They do clamp a bit more than I'd personally like, but it's a minor gripe overall. I find the HD650 to be very comfortable overall, and over extending the arms a little, to wear the HD650 slightly loose alleviates the clamp a bit. I've felt better, but not much better. The velours are great. Not too firm, and not too soft. The cups are huge and will fit ears very comfortably. I like the oval shape, which makes them easier to use while laying down compared to circular cups.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Value: The Sennheiser HD650 is a considerably expensive headphone. If your main purpose for getting a headphone is gaming, there are considerably better options for less. If pure audio fidelity, and non-gaming purposes is your main purpose, the HD650 is incredibly hard to beat. Their sound signature is just stellar for most things, save for a few genres, and they're competent for gaming, just not stellar. I personally can't justify owning both the HD650 and HE-400, so I stuck with the HE-400 which is a more energetic, and better equipped for gaming use.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Final Impressions: The HD650 has a very special place in my heart. It took years to finally take the plunge, but I'm VERY glad I did. They have quickly become one of my very favorite headphones. Though their gaming performance isn't as stellar as I would have hoped, it's better than I expected. I absolutely love the HD650 overall, and they have made me see the importance of mids, if even for just non-gaming, non-music use. Movies and TV shows are made for the HD650. Their incredible tonality, rich/full sound, perfect mids are an absolute blessing. Treble is definitely it's weakest aspect of sound, but they aren't veiled, just...reserved.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]For gamers looking for all-rounders, these do put up a fight. They're better than the vast majority of headphones I mentioned on this guide in terms of audio fidelity, but in raw performance for gaming, they're outclassed by others costing considerably less.[/size]

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #12,994 of 46,525
BULLS***. (To quote Paul W. Klipsch 
size]

). It's not even close.

Well glad to hear that, I heard the hd 650 was a comfortable s the hd 600. Is this true?

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #12,995 of 46,525
Quote:
I just got a cable loan from a friend. Alo 18awg silver cable for my hd650. I tested and compared between 2 other cables which are 24awg toxic silver cable and 24awg double helix copper cable. For me..i like hd650 with silver cable. The sound of hd650 somehow a bit too warm for my taste for some songs. Like the sound is too wet and need a bit of a dry and analitical character.. The most noticeable different is when i used the toxic silver cable. Eventhough i feel like the body of the sound (including bass) is a bit lesser..but improved in clarity is noticeable and i think is a very good match. The silver alo 18awg is different. It did not reduce the warmth of the hd650 at all. The highs i feel like better extended just a bit. The sound was a bit more open. But the problem is...the hd650 still remain overly warm too me. That means...it might improves the sound just by a bit but not as noticeable as the toxic cable. The strange is..even though this is a silver cable...but the bass remain the same and i feel like they hit even deeper compared to the stock cable. I suspect this might be caused by the cable size is bigger (but i am not too sure). For some..this kind of sound might be good if you like warm sounding. But as for now...i still prefer the toxic silver cable 24awg.. I will have some more listening time with it and see how it goes.

Btw...i found using the Toxic silver cable is good when plug into desktop rig...but when i use my portable rig...i think the body of the sound is a bit shrinking like too much reduced which i dont like.

nice.....which cable gives the best depth?

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #12,996 of 46,525
Yes I would agree with that review... Excellent headphones for most uses just you will probably want to pick up another pair at some point for more aggressive genres such as electronic music or metal. As 50% of a collection of 2 headphones the HD600/650 are excellent, but I don't think they work with every genre like some people say. HD600/650 + Good pair of closed headphones such as D5000 / TH600 etc. = Win.... For general usage, gaming, films, some genres of music, the HD650/600 are probably the best I have tried, but when you want something a bit more exciting you would want to pick up a complimentary pair as well.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #12,997 of 46,525
Quote:
Yes I would agree with that review... Excellent headphones for most uses just you will probably want to pick up another pair at some point for more aggressive genres such as electronic music or metal. As 50% of a collection of 2 headphones the HD600/650 are excellent, but I don't think they work with every genre like some people say. HD600/650 + Good pair of closed headphones such as D5000 / TH600 etc. = Win.... For general usage, gaming, films, some genres of music, the HD650/600 are probably the best I have tried, but when you want something a bit more exciting you would want to pick up a complimentary pair as well.

I did find that listening to August Burns Red new album Rescue and Restore (Ripped to Lossless) the album sounded a little boring in that i wasn't really feeling the energy of the songs at all and felt a little underwhelmed, i switched over to my KRK 8400's and the album blew me away. I'm only using and Apogee one as a DAC/Amp but normally my 650's sound great, but not for that album.

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #12,998 of 46,525

What genre would you say the hd 650 would be good for and which ones are bad?

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #12,999 of 46,525
I like the HD650/600 for games, films, general usage such as youtube etc. classical, acoustic, soundtrack some rock and metal etc. For genres like electronic, metal etc. I prefer other headphones, the HD650/600 are OK with these genres but they are more of a relaxing headphone whereas something like D2000 / UE6000 etc. are more fun. Unless you spend like £700 I don't think there is a single pair of headphones that is good for all genres, but the HD650/HD600 + a pair of closed headphones is really all you will ever need. (although I have never tried high end such as HE500 or LCD3).... If you owned something like HD600 + TH600 I really doubt you would get much better than that for all genres between the two.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #13,000 of 46,525
I like the HD650/600 for games, films, general usage such as youtube etc. classical, acoustic, soundtrack some rock and metal etc. For genres like electronic, metal etc. I prefer other headphones, the HD650/600 are OK with these genres but they are more of a relaxing headphone whereas something like D2000 / UE6000 etc. are more fun. Unless you spend like £700 I don't think there is a single pair of headphones that is good for all genres, but the HD650/HD600 + a pair of closed headphones is really all you will ever need. (although I have never tried high end such as HE500 or LCD3).... If you owned something like HD600 + TH600 I really doubt you would get much better than that for all genres between the two.

What genres specifically would the hd 650 would be good for? I'm currently leaning towards the hd 650 instead of the hd 600.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #13,001 of 46,525
Quote:
What genres specifically would the hd 650 would be good for? I'm currently leaning towards the hd 650 instead of the hd 600.

I just said... slower genres such as classical, acoustic, films, games etc. they are more of a relaxing headphone, I reccomend you get some HD600/HD650 and then buy another pair of closed headphones to compliment them.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #13,003 of 46,525
I like mine with Jazz, R&B, some rock, and big band stuff.  But vocals is really where this set of cans really shine.  I suppose If I were in to electronic/fast synth stuff, I'd consider something else too....

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #13,005 of 46,525
The sennheiser have possibly the best midrange ever... But for music that sound good with a faster and more V shaped sound with sub bass and treble they are not so good. I have not heard any flagship headphones so maybe you can get better midrange. It is worth owning the HD600/HD650 though just for the midrange and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back