Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 14, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #12,271 of 46,513
i did the foam-pulling too, cant resist the suspense...
i actually pasted foam here n there just to hear what happens. 
cut some stockings too, way to go man , enjoy !!

May 14, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #12,272 of 46,513
I am glad it has worked for you :) I am far too much of a coward to try modding myself.

May 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #12,275 of 46,513
Quote:
I am glad it has worked for you
smily_headphones1.gif
I am far too much of a coward to try modding myself.

i dont think i would either - my fat bay hands would void the guarantee 

May 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #12,276 of 46,513
Quote:
Quote:
Listen to Vampire Weekend on the 650's! Its great:D

I've had the new album in heavy rotation. Irresistible and indelible music that doesn't need any help from the HD650.

Yes, it is a masterpiece, seriously. How is the new National's album you have as your avi?

May 15, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #12,277 of 46,513
Quote:
Hi all!
Just got through this thread. 817 pages since last christmas. I bought the 650s as christmas present and been happily listening (and reading) since. Head-fi has been helping me get through the sad comedy of buying (originally) Asgard and Bifrost. Ordered mine on early January, A1 was never sent, order upgraded to A2 and still waiting... I bought them through audiophonics.fr and I thought it could take a while to get them here in Finland, but this long?
I have been using udac-2 as a backup, but it really isn't making any miracles.
Keep up the nice conversations about these good headphones!

Why don't you place an order directly to Schiit in the US ? I think they ship in a couple of days, and the overseas shipment takes about a week to get to Europe.

May 15, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #12,279 of 46,513
Is this the best movie watching headphone under $500? I think it must be.
I now live in a stupid apartment thanks to this dumb economy and am forced to listen to headphones at 3am when I'm watching movies.

I have a setup in my bedroom with the Magni from my Sony S380 (which has an AKM DAC I think). It works pretty well with the HD-650. So far i've only watched "The Impossible" and "Jack Reacher" though.
I don't feel like i'm ever missing out on any bass. It reminds me of my old home theater setup.

The HD-650 is slowly becoming preferred over my Q701. Last night it's weird because when switching between the two, the HD-650 just sounded clearer and more normal. I think the HD-650 benefits more from my setup than the Q701.
I switched from the ODAC to the Modi and think it sounds just as good, if not better (I won't go there). The Headroom Micro has always been my favorite amp for the HD-650 (and Q701). I find it dead neutral, but not ever thin or cold/analytical.

The Q701 will never be sold because it's soundstage is a bit larger and it's more airy, but that's obvious. I'm also a semi treble-head. I prefer the Q701 for some genres like ambient electronica etc. I also prefer the Q701 for gaming too.

It's interesting to think that I once preferred the 598 to the HD-650 by far, but not with this pair. HD-598 isn't really a major downgrade to me, but just something different. The 598's mids are still addicting so i'll keep it around.

BTW thanks to the HD-650 I will have finally gone a whole year without buying any new headphones. I'll be sticking with the 650, Q701 and DJ100. I could easily go without the rest.

May 15, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #12,280 of 46,513
Is this the best movie watching headphone under $500? I think it must be.
I now live in a stupid apartment thanks to this dumb economy and am forced to listen to headphones at 3am when I'm watching movies.

I have a setup in my bedroom with the Magni from my Sony S380 (which has an AKM DAC I think). It works pretty well with the HD-650. So far i've only watched "The Impossible" and "Jack Reacher" though.
I don't feel like i'm ever missing out on any bass. It reminds me of my old home theater setup.

The HD-650 is slowly becoming preferred over my Q701. Last night it's weird because when switching between the two, the HD-650 just sounded clearer and more normal. I think the HD-650 benefits more from my setup than the Q701.
I switched from the ODAC to the Modi and think it sounds just as good, if not better (I won't go there). The Headroom Micro has always been my favorite amp for the HD-650 (and Q701). I find it dead neutral, but not ever thin or cold/analytical.

The Q701 will never be sold because it's soundstage is a bit larger and it's more airy, but that's obvious. I'm also a semi treble-head. I prefer the Q701 for some genres like ambient electronica etc. I also prefer the Q701 for gaming too.

It's interesting to think that I once preferred the 598 to the HD-650 by far, but not with this pair. HD-598 isn't really a major downgrade to me, but just something different. The 598's mids are still addicting so i'll keep it around.

BTW thanks to the HD-650 I will have finally gone a whole year without buying any new headphones. I'll be sticking with the 650, Q701 and DJ100. I could easily go without the rest.

Hmm... Are you sure the hd650 can provide you with the rumbling of explosions closed can provides? The hd650 is indeed very natural, laid back. I'm guessing it probably allow the music/speech and all the other auditory stuff to take the back seat and allow the main event, the visuals to be in first priority. I have not tried it with a movie but, on music, the hd650 allows me to speculate the music like as if I'm a spectator in the stand of a football match rather than being a player in the field. But I doubt it can bring about rumbles of a closed can (ala denon d5ks and other closed ones two). But of course both your preferences and your mileage might vary. And if u solve the high clamping problem, it is the top few most comfortable headphones money can buy!

[Edit: Yet own them but have done pretty extensive auditioning!]

May 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #12,281 of 46,513
I just bit the bullet on the K702 Annies cause I found a great deal from razordogdeals (recommended, super fast and friendly communication). I've been wanting them ever since demoing them in a store a few months back, I really enjoyed them cause I felt they were like Q701s with HD 650 character. Definitely looking forward to them arriving so I can do some A/Bing
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #12,283 of 46,513
came to 360 in the end. couldn't find any 350 promo.

May 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #12,284 of 46,513
Just got back from FedEx… Am now officially a member of the HD650 club! Haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but… damn! Moving from the HD558, high quality recordings are really wonderfully immersive through these cans. The MA Recordings release, 'Out of Time and Country,' by Susanne Rosenberg, et al, has been… whew, quite an experience, indeed!

May 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #12,285 of 46,513
Welcome indeed! Yea, just wait till they burn in a bit and open up
biggrin.gif
and if you don't already have a decent amp, then it's time to shop for one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back