Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #11,731 of 46,514
Quote:

Was it on when you did that? It may have just been the DAC's clock disengaging, or something like that. I'm not sure that's the right terminology but my Bifrost clicks sometimes. I read on the Schiit website that it's the clocks switching.

I don't know... The click wasn't inside the DAC when it happened, but it was more like where the actual RCA connection is. It seems like there are some (metal? leafy?) parts in the connector part, that might touch the RCA male plug. Anyone know about this? 

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #11,732 of 46,514

hd650 pretending to be hd800.....angled drivers 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #11,734 of 46,514
Yup...the soundstage moved slightly forward, go try it out.:p
The foam is from an aircon doorstrip.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #11,735 of 46,514
Lately I've been wondering why no one has ever made angled pads for the HD6x0. If you hold the drivers at an angle you can get an idea of how it sounds. Seems like there's a lot of potential there to make the soundstage wider and more realistic sounding and to improve positioning.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #11,737 of 46,514
So... how much volume does it take to destroy a pair of HD-650's? I accidentally plugged it into the headphone out of my motherboard onboard audio (to compare with my standalone DAC) without checking the audio levels, and it ended up blasting away. The volume level was certainly enough to damage my hearing (if I were to listen to it at the volume for a long period of time)... 

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #11,738 of 46,514
Quote:
So... how much volume does it take to destroy a pair of HD-650's? I accidentally plugged it into the headphone out of my motherboard onboard audio (to compare with my standalone DAC) without checking the audio levels, and it ended up blasting away. The volume level was certainly enough to damage my hearing (if I were to listen to it at the volume for a long period of time)... 

If it was briefly I doubt it'll hurt your HD 650s.  You'd likely sooner hurt your ears first.  Sound pressure level of the cans is rated at 103 dB according to Sennheiser... so it's roughly the around the range of a lawn mower or snowmobile I believe?

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #11,739 of 46,514
I found my best portable setup last yaer....
both of the cables were made by an audiophile friend of mine... 
the cable for the 650 is PcWork Symphonica 
while mini to mini (the blue one) is Legato-S
and amazed with GoVibe Vestamp...

I can fit everything in a casing and carry wherever i go :D

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #11,740 of 46,514
Quote:

The 650's are likely ok. If you have a blown driver you be able to hear it. Your hearing is a different matter. Did you have them on when you blasted them? I got a blast from a set of IEM's about three months ago with a dap on maximum volume. My hearing has still not recovered.
redface.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #11,741 of 46,514
joe: Ah. Thanks for letting me know. The reference to the landmower/snowmobile is especially helpful. I actually googled it to double check, and it seems you are right: http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html, with the snowmobile/motorcycle at 100db, while a powermower is at 107db. And, the Sennheiser website lists the HD-650 SPL, at 102db, indeed as well. Thanks again for letting me know. And thank God my HD-650's are ok. Now I REALLY know they're ok. 

matt: Ouch. Hope your hearing is alright. I did have them on for a second, and while I do notice a tiny, tiny bit of ringing in my ears, I'm not sure if that was because of the incident, or if it's a case of tinnitus that I've always had. 

coolerthings: That's a sweet set-up man! Everything there looks sweet: the headphones, the cables, and the amp. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #11,742 of 46,514
Just reading about headphones blasting your ears at max volume, even for a split second, is making my ears hurt... ouch.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #11,743 of 46,514
Can these still sound good with a portable amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back