Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #11,551 of 46,499
Quote:
What are these "new pads" really? Is it a new model pad?

No, I think it just has to do with the age of the pads. Older pads become softer and more compressed, bringing the driver closer to the ear, and somehow decreasing perceived treble response.

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #11,552 of 46,499
Quote:

No, I think it just has to do with the age of the pads. Older pads become softer and more compressed, bringing the driver closer to the ear, and somehow decreasing perceived treble response.

Quote:
Not sure I get what you're saying. I haven't seen anyone get too far off point or venture into unicorn territory. Unless you simply disagree with the premise.

What I'm trying to say is exactly what Pianist is saying. The foam itself is not changing the sonic characteristics. I just wanted to dispel any theories that Sennheiser discovered some new amazing pad material that changes the sound, since it seemed on the brink of heading in that direction. The new pad that everyone is talking about is just a firmer foam that takes a little longer to become compressed.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #11,554 of 46,499
I washed my old pads and it's made a noticeable improvement. The pads are visibly not as squished and music doesn't sound as "shouty" as it did before. Imaging and soundstage are the biggest improvement I'd say. Hoping brand new pads can improve it even more.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #11,556 of 46,499
Quote:
I washed my old pads and it's made a noticeable improvement. The pads are visibly not as squished and music doesn't sound as "shouty" as it did before. Imaging and soundstage are the biggest improvement I'd say. Hoping brand new pads can improve it even more.

Totally agree! I used Tide HE and they're now much more efficient. I can now drive them to 100% from my 64mb Coby player. No amp needed.
The sound is also a bit cleaner and more refined with a little extra sparkle up top. They say all detergents are all the same, but I would have to disagree.
Also, it's suggested that when putting your HD-650 into the washer to use very cold water so that you don't melt the driver.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #11,557 of 46,499
That's the best price that I've seen for them. Direct from Sennheiser is just under $60 after shipping and tax (seems like they charge tax regardless of state). Ebay goes for around $60 too. It's only $15, but a 33% mark up is a little excessive.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #11,558 of 46,499
Quote:
Totally agree! I used Tide HE and they're now much more efficient. I can now drive them to 100% from my 64mb Coby player. No amp needed.
The sound is also a bit cleaner and more refined with a little extra sparkle up top. They say all detergents are all the same, but I would have to disagree.
Also, it's suggested that when putting your HD-650 into the washer to use very cold water so that you don't melt the driver.

Nice one.

I don't think anyone can argue that driver placement doesn't have an effect on the sound. Look at the Lawton Denon mods, J$ pads, T50rp mods, the new LCD-2 pads, etc. I said it 2 times earlier, it's distancing the driver from your ear that makes the sonic changes. Sorry to disappoint you, but no aliens or unicorns involved.

Oh and I should add: it's distancing the drivers to the position that Sennheiser originally intended them to be when they were designed

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #11,560 of 46,499
Quote:

Nice one.

I don't think anyone can argue that driver placement doesn't have an effect on the sound. Look at the Lawton Denon mods, J$ pads, T50rp mods, the new LCD-2 pads, etc. I said it 2 times earlier, it's distancing the driver from your ear that makes the sonic changes. No aliens involved.

After playing with K1000's, driver angle relative to your ears will create differences in how you perceive the soundstage.  Many of Audio Technica's closed headphones also have their drivers angled on the inside of the housing, for instance.  

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #11,562 of 46,499
Put a little bit of Clorox Bleach as well (HAS to be that brand).

The HD650 will no longer sound veiled.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #11,565 of 46,499
Come on... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back