Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #11,195 of 46,518
Quote:

Could you give me advice on what pads you found to be good with HD650 ?

Yeah I meant new 650 pads. Don't think there are many options out there for different pads. I kept renewing mine (and they aren't cheap) till I realised that if you stretch the headband then they don't have the clamp pressure and then the pads stay plush and this helps with larger soundstage :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #11,197 of 46,518
always had mine on mid gain too....ok let me switch to loooooooooooooooooooooooo gain.

Glad to hear there' still BCL follower out there despite new flashy amps being released everyday.

The detail my friend, the micro detail of BCL lowest gain is intoxicating. it's not all about slams.
I wonder how the recent audio gd amps like master8 or nfb-6 compared to BCL though, but I never get a solid comparison so far.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #11,198 of 46,518
Man, I've been listening to my HD650s for the past week and I've grown to love them again. Their sound isn't nearly as exciting or engaging like my DT880s, but they are so smooth. Vocals are just gorgeous. They actually have a lot more detail than I remembered. Almost as much as my DT880s, though I'm reluctant to say they have just as much detail -- only because the DT880s make it more obvious and the HD650s aren't as quick, so they smooth over some quick notes sometimes. But I've been really enjoying the laid-back sound lately. It seems that me putting them up for sale made me give them another chance. I'm glad I didn't sell them. They are quite wonderful.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #11,200 of 46,518
Quote:
Man, I've been listening to my HD650s for the past week and I've grown to love them again. Their sound isn't nearly as exciting or engaging like my DT880s, but they are so smooth. Vocals are just gorgeous. They actually have a lot more detail than I remembered. Almost as much as my DT880s, though I'm reluctant to say they have just as much detail -- only because the DT880s make it more obvious and the HD650s aren't as quick, so they smooth over some quick notes sometimes. But I've been really enjoying the laid-back sound lately. It seems that me putting them up for sale made me give them another chance. I'm glad I didn't sell them. They are quite wonderful.

Yeeeeaaa... You should blast some electronica on them again. They are sooooooo good with electronica. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #11,201 of 46,518
anyone have any views on how the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear Headphone Amplifier will pair with the HD650.

It's coincident that my reply post appear after yours. Like I mentioned above, BCL is fantastic with hd650, even better with the lowest gain than the medium. Now curiosity itch is calling me to compare audio gd amps with BCL, or even with the Auditor or Phonitor.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #11,202 of 46,518
A couple of pages back people were commenting on sound stage. I have a question. I am a relative newcomer to headphones and my 650s give me a gorgeous in the head experience. As a speaker man my understanding of a soundstage is a 3 dimensional image which projects between the speakers or even outside if you are truly lucky (and rich)in order to replicate listening to a concert in front of you on stage. Given that, what is a headphone soundstage? Is it just a transparency in the headphones or are we talking actual physical illusions about where the sound is? Have I even answered my own question. I don't know. Its a bit of a ramble really, but im just really curious.
For my part I love my 650s and they put me in the middle of the music more than any speaker system I've owned...

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #11,203 of 46,518
Quote:
It's coincident that my reply post appear after yours. Like I mentioned above, BCL is fantastic with hd650, even better with the lowest gain than the medium. Now curiosity itch is calling me to compare audio gd amps with BCL, or even with the Auditor or Phonitor.

pls share if you do compare. i've heard only good things about the BCL but others have also recommended tube for the HD650s (Woo 6). decisions, decisons !!!

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #11,204 of 46,518
Quote:
A couple of pages back people were commenting on sound stage. I have a question. I am a relative newcomer to headphones and my 650s give me a gorgeous in the head experience. As a speaker man my understanding of a soundstage is a 3 dimensional image which projects between the speakers or even outside if you are truly lucky (and rich)in order to replicate listening to a concert in front of you on stage. Given that, what is a headphone soundstage? Is it just a transparency in the headphones or are we talking actual physical illusions about where the sound is? Have I even answered my own question. I don't know. Its a bit of a ramble really, but im just really curious.
For my part I love my 650s and they put me in the middle of the music more than any speaker system I've owned...

As you are aware, a speaker is situated some distance away from you so the sound is able to spread out wider than you and "envelope" you. The wider this envelope, the wider the soundstage. If you can get it wide enough and loud enough, you could recreate listening to a concert on a stage. 

Now headphone soundstage is similar to speaker soundstage except it's usually not really 3D (unless you are listening to a binaural recording) since there's no real distance between the drivers and your ears. However, current high end headphones sometimes employ angled drivers (like the HD800) to increase the effect and the king of soundstage (the AKG1000) can essentially replicate speaker soundstage.

Open headphones also tend to allow the sound to air a bit more and increases soundstage whilst closed headphones will clutter the sound more and decrease soundstage (usually). Meanwhile iems are even harder at producing a wide soundstage since you a placing that sound directly into you canals. 

I'd say as a point of reference, to me the 650s sound akin to having a small ensemble or quintet playing in a small, dreamy, laid back atmospheric jazz lounge. Pop on the AKG1000s, angle the drivers speakers-that-are-attached-to-a-headband all the way out and you can imagine a 100 piece orchestra blasting Tchaik at you. Get some iBuds and you'll hear a miniature band playing miniature instruments and producing miniature music that reverberates around the walls of your cranial cavity. 
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #11,205 of 46,518
Quote:
pls share if you do compare. i've heard only good things about the BCL but others have also recommended tube for the HD650s (Woo 6). decisions, decisons !!!

Haven't heard the BCL so can't comment on that. But I have the Woo WA6 and I CANNOT recommend it more. The pairing are a match made in heaven. That dreamy tube sound just goes hand in hand with the HD 650. If you want something that can accentuate all the qualities you love about the HD 650, then the WA6 is the way to go. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back