Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #10,816 of 46,554
Quote:
This is also a saaaaaad truth, never before Head-fi did I think that $800 for a pair of headphones was A CHEAP DEAL. Scratch my previous post, RUN!!! 

Head-fi is definitely not the place to come to if you've think you've found audio bliss.  Reading threads here will just get your curiosity all revved up and your wallet in tears.  

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #10,817 of 46,554
Hi Everyone

I've been a Sennheiser fan for some time now and have owned a pair of HD800's for some time.  I was using AKG 702s for secondary systems but recently bought new into HD650.

Unbalanced they sounded slightly better than the AKGs but not dramatically so.  That is until I made up a balanced cable and connected it to the main rig - the AQ is astonishing.  Not quite as good as the HD800's but with heaps of air, clarity etc.  Most impressive.  Here is the system they were just auditioned in:

Balanced digital input from a Meridian Sooloos server -> M2Tech Vaughan DAC -> Balanced HeadRoom Blockhead amplifier -> new balanced cabling -> Sennheiser HD650 headphones (usually HD800 headphones)

The headphones and constructed cable will be used in this secondary system:

Oppo CD/DVD (modded older model)  or  Sony Blu Ray -> digital out -> (used & on the way - not here yet) Woo Audio WDS-1 -> (used & also not here yet) BUDA Headroom balanced amplifier -> HD650 headphones

The cable was purchased from my Meridian dealer in the UK - it is special CAT 7 LAN cabling used for Meridian speaker link connection.  The Sennheiser plugs are Cardas, and required care about applying minimal heat.  The cable has 4 copper twisted pairs so is ideal for balanced connection.  The only downside is the cable is relatively inflexible but in the secondary system it will be used that is of no great concern and the way I made it there is flexibity either end.  So I have a long headphone cable, constructed for well under $100 which is transmitting excellent AQ to the Sennheiser HD650s.  If you can solder, try it out!!

John

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #10,818 of 46,554
Head-fi is definitely not the place to come to if you've think you've found audio bliss.  Reading threads here will just get your curiosity all revved up and your wallet in tears.  

My wallet has been sitting in the bathtub crying and eating Ben & Jerry's ever since I bought my 650's :D

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #10,819 of 46,554
I know some aren't fans of the Lyr + 6N1P + Bifrost, but I absolutely love it when I've got my HD650 plugged in! I've only got one other pair, the 6BZ7 (both sets from Schiit), but haven't used it much since getting the 6N1P.

The 6N1P with the Bifrost opens the HD650 up for me. I'm listening to Assassin's Creed  2 soundtrack, and it is giving me chills... which is not good because I'm already cold where I'm at right now (relative's house that is proving difficult to keep warm). LOL.

I've been slowly (very) hearing the HD650 sound better as I delve deeper into this hobby, but for now, I'm at a standstill, tubes notwithstanding. I can't wait to hear how it pairs with other setups when I go to a meet in May.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #10,822 of 46,554
Quote:
If you're not being sarcastic in some subtle way, then you need to learn how to control the pot...

I listen at about 9:00 on the pot, I turned the amplifier off after a few hours of listening, I heard electrical noise and a pop in the right driver, now the sub-bass on the right driver is 'wobbly'. It could be a faulty headphone/driver, and a coincidence that they broke while on the Lyr, but the noise and pop when turning it off keeps me sceptical.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #10,823 of 46,554
Quote:

I listen at about 9:00 on the pot, I turned the amplifier off after a few hours of listening, I heard electrical noise and a pop in the right driver, now the sub-bass on the right driver is 'wobbly'. It could be a fualty headphone/driver, and a coincidence that they broke while on the Lyr, but the noise and pop when turning it off keeps me sceptical.

Well, considering many people used Lyr with 650 (incl myself), I'd have to consider it a freak accident either way.

It's also notable to ask if your Lyr had the relay or not..

But I do agree, Lyr doesn't exactly shine with dynamics as much as ortho's.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #10,824 of 46,554
A freak accident sure.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #10,825 of 46,554
Thanks for posting outdated info with no context.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #10,828 of 46,554
Quote:
It is allways best to disconnect the headphones from the amp before turning it off/on.

Yup, headphone 101, in which, Shike ignored. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #10,830 of 46,554
Quote:
Yup, headphone 101, in which, Shike ignored. 

Headphone 101, really? I must have played hooky that day cause I've been turning my amps on and off with headphones plugged in without issue for years. But maybe I'll start plugging/unplugging first to be on the safe side. That video is a bit freaky indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back