Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #10,681 of 46,514
Quote:
Anyone else feel the 650s are uncomfortable? They pinch my jaw really bad. Well at least compared to the AKG 702

Do you have an extra large head. I have a medium sized head and these are the most comfortable hp's I've ever owned. I did stretch out that metal tab that connect the headband to the cup...carefully, when I first got them. Also, as someone else said the pads will compress to your head naturally over the course of several weeks. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #10,682 of 46,514
I've had my 650's for a little over a month now and I am really enjoying them.

I'm currently using a fiio e7/e9 combo to drive these, but I feel like I can get so much more out of them with a new dac/amp.
My question for you guy is, what amp and dac would brighten up the 650's? One thing that I don't really like about my 650's is that it doesn't sound as bright and lively as my hd555's (at least to my ears).

I'm currently listening to A LOT of Kelly Clarkson. With my 650, it sounds like I'm listening live, a little more so than my 555, but as I said before, just not as bright and lively.

I'm listen to a lot of classical, pop/rock, & TONS of vocals. My budget would be around $500~$600 for both dac and amp, possibly a little more if it would be worth the money.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #10,683 of 46,514
Quote:
They will, I've done it before. Thrown them in with a load of laundry, let them air dry, and they're good as new.

Camp suds and a bucket...
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #10,685 of 46,514
Quote:
I've had my 650's for a little over a month now and I am really enjoying them.

I'm currently using a fiio e7/e9 combo to drive these, but I feel like I can get so much more out of them with a new dac/amp.
My question for you guy is, what amp and dac would brighten up the 650's? One thing that I don't really like about my 650's is that it doesn't sound as bright and lively as my hd555's (at least to my ears).

I'm currently listening to A LOT of Kelly Clarkson. With my 650, it sounds like I'm listening live, a little more so than my 555, but as I said before, just not as bright and lively.

I'm listen to a lot of classical, pop/rock, & TONS of vocals. My budget would be around $500~$600 for both dac and amp, possibly a little more if it would be worth the money.

Did you say that you're listening to Kelly Clarkson?  REEEEEAAAAALLLY??????????  With HD650?  Somebody please put that pair of headphones out of its misery.  Kelly Clarkson??????  REALLY?...................................really?
.............................REALLY???!!!!

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #10,687 of 46,514
Quote:
Kelly Clarkson??????  REALLY?...................................really?
.............................REALLY???!!!!

Sweet Jimeny Cricket ... $#@?!^&*.  Just when I thought I had seen or read it all, this comes along.  Can someone quickly buy a "man card" for this guy?  Please? I mean, I'm pleading with all my heart.  Oh dear gosh.

On the other hand, some people might laugh at what I listen to.  That's the fun in this hobby.  We have the headphones, so nobody can really hear what we listen to unless they are awfully close or you're playing the music a bit loud.  In a way, I applaud this guy for being so honest  We should all be so open.  Seriously.

On the other hand ...

[ Totally Shameless Plug ]

I'm selling a 10' Stefan AudioArt Equinox cable for the HD-650 in the F/S cable section.  It will fit the HD-580/600 and 650.  It is terminated with a 1/4" Neutrik connector.  New, this cable is a $349 cable.  However, I'm seeking $149 (shipped) via USPS Priority Mail in the United States.

[/ Totally Shameless Plug ]

Thank you.  Over and Out.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #10,688 of 46,514
I can't say that I'm a huge Kelly Clarkeson fan, but hey...the girls got some pipes!! And that first album she released sold more and at a faster rate than anything since the Beatles. I give her props for that. 

I listen to a lot of jazz these days, but I'll throw on some cheesey pop every once in a while. 
size]

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #10,693 of 46,514
Quote:
LMAO I love me some Kelly! Don't hate! Seriously though, amp and dac that with brighten up these hd650's?

What are you using now? You should try the Magni + ODAC.
Apparently the Magni is good for fooling people into thinking it's bright when it's really just crappy recordings most likely.

I think with the wrong amp I would hate the HD-650. Call me crazy if you want! It's warmth is kind of my limit.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #10,694 of 46,514
Quote:
What are you using now? You should try the Magni + ODAC.
Apparently the Magni is good for fooling people into thinking it's bright when it's really just crappy recordings most likely.

I think with the wrong amp I would hate the HD-650. Call me crazy if you want! It's warmth is kind of my limit.

I am currently using the fiio e7/e9 combo through my laptop and pc. I was thinking about going for the Schiit products, Modi + Lyr or something. They seem to be really popular, but I wonder how many people suggesting them have actually used them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back