Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #10,711 of 46,527
Quote:
"Several orders of magnitude". That's usually where I stop to read.

Sure, that's Schiit-speak, which is to be expected.

You said there's no reasonable chance for that being true. Again, I'm wondering if you're even aware of what changes were made for Asgard 2.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #10,712 of 46,527
Sure, that's Schiit-speak, which is to be expected.

You said there's no reasonable chance for that being true. Again, I'm wondering if you're even aware of what changes were made for Asgard 2.
Hi. Yes I am aware of the changes but he is talking about several orders of magnitude. Orders of magnitude are easily measurable and I wonder how Schiit measure detail reproduction in an amp.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #10,713 of 46,527
Just got an itch to put on my HD650's again.  Haven't listened to them much since my preorder of the HD800's when they were released, only now and then.  I had forgotten how much i like these with my original set up for them.  They have Zu mobius recable, which were the top silver cable at one point and i a m running them thru a Eddie Current Zana Duex amp with a Brimar tube driving it and a rebuilt/overbuilt Digital link dac and a Diverter usb converter.  Man it just sounds so lush and incredible to me.  Guess it is just the sound i was craving right now.  Gotta get these back in rotation.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #10,714 of 46,527
Quote:
Hi. Yes I am aware of the changes but he is talking about several orders of magnitude. Orders of magnitude are easily measurable and I wonder how Schiit measure detail reproduction in an amp.

Do you understand the changes then?

And Schiit uses the Stanford Research SR1 audio analyzer on the objective side of things.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #10,716 of 46,527
Quote:
omg. Yes, I understand the changes but I do not understand how those changes can give several orders of magnitude difference in detail reproduction. Do you understand what I mean?

I do not understand what you mean, sorry.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #10,718 of 46,527
That was a discussion?
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #10,719 of 46,527
LOL, yes I understand muxamed's point... I think he's just taking Jason's words too literally.  Yes, orders of magnitude indicate that it'd be, for example, several powers of 10.  Since detail retrieval is difficult to measure in a quantifiable manner, then it is difficult to validate the claim of "several orders of magnitude".

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #10,720 of 46,527
I don't really care, but here's a brief breakdown of what I believe muxamed's hangup is with the wording Jason used in a private correspondence:

Several orders of magnitude would equate to between three and five orders of magnitude.  The exact phrasing of the quote indicates (if taken literally) that Jason feels the detail retrieval is 1,000-100,000 times better in the Asgard 2 than the original Asgard.  Within the full spectrum of audio reproduction, some would argue that there aren't "several orders of magnitude" between the detail retrieval of an iPod compared to a Clearaudio Statement (much less one iteration of one product to the next). 

So yeah, back on topic - Not that they occupy a majority of my head time, but I've really enjoyed the HD650 lately on the Liquid Glass when I've got the Siemens E288CC in the amp.  Seems like a slightly brighter tube can be beneficial.  Conversely, I can't stand the HE-6 with the E288CC's; it's way too bright.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #10,724 of 46,527
Oops. I forgot to set the notification to "immediately" otherwise I'll never see the response... Is there a way to make "immediately" the forum default? I keep forgetting to check it and the "Daily Digest" is all but useless to me. By the time I get the notice, the thread has moved on for four more pages.... 
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #10,725 of 46,527
Quote:
LOL, yes I understand muxamed's point... I think he's just taking Jason's words too literally.  Yes, orders of magnitude indicate that it'd be, for example, several powers of 10.  Since detail retrieval is difficult to measure in a quantifiable manner, then it is difficult to validate the claim of "several orders of magnitude".

Quote:
I don't really care, but here's a brief breakdown of what I believe muxamed's hangup is with the wording Jason used in a private correspondence:

Several orders of magnitude would equate to between three and five orders of magnitude.  The exact phrasing of the quote indicates (if taken literally) that Jason feels the detail retrieval is 1,000-100,000 times better in the Asgard 2 than the original Asgard.  Within the full spectrum of audio reproduction, some would argue that there aren't "several orders of magnitude" between the detail retrieval of an iPod compared to a Clearaudio Statement (much less one iteration of one product to the next). 

Exactly my point. Thank you guys
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back