Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #10,141 of 46,514
This box

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #10,143 of 46,514
Anyone having clamping issues try this at your own risk. I extend on side fully and carefully bend the metal band out. Do that to the other side. Only a little bit is needed. Don't let any pressure be applied to the plastic top of the headband.
I did this to every 650 I've owned and they are super comfortable

+1 to this.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #10,144 of 46,514
Hi there guys, I just purchased a my HD650's a few days ago and was wondering what amp/dac to pair it up with. Any suggestions? Budget is below $500

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #10,145 of 46,514
Quote:
Hi there guys, I just purchased a my HD650's a few days ago and was wondering what amp/dac to pair it up with. Any suggestions? Budget is below $500

Really happy with the Schiit Asgard, a steal at $250.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #10,148 of 46,514
Random note: I just wanted to say I take back everything I said before about the HD650 being "laid back". Before my biggest complaint with the HD650 (and reason I had the HD800 for a while) was that since the upper treble (14khz+) was recessed, it made violin, harpsichord and many classical pieces sound rather bland and boring and muffled. 

I've repurchased HD650s since swapping HD800s for speakers, but this time rather than running HD650s out of an NFB12 like I did last time, I'm just using my receiver's headphone out (Harman Kardon HK3490). It sounds way better than before. Overall quality is great from the Harmon Kardon, but most noticeably it's not at all laid back like my NFB12 was. I know for a fact the NFB12 was noticeably laid back because I once A/B'ed with direct output from my laptop, and while the laptop wasn't powerful enough to get good quality, the treble was noticeably more forward than with the NFB12.

Right now I'm really re-impressed with the HD650. Honestly this sounds about as neutral as I can imagine, great soundstage (much improved over the NFB12), dynamic feeling, etc. As opposed to the HD800, which has a bit too much treble, I'm finding the HD650 from a neutral dac/amp is remarkably well balanced all the way up to the far upper treble. For what people often call a "laid back" headphone, the HD650 easily reaches up to beyond my 19khz hearing limit without dropping off. The HD800 unquestionably has better sound quality and detail, but I must say the HD650 is really really good, and don't have any weakness I can possibly identify.

TLDR: I'm pretty much certain that these are the last headphones I'll ever need. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #10,149 of 46,514
Quote:
Random note: I just wanted to say I take back everything I said before about the HD650 being "laid back". Before my biggest complaint with the HD650 (and reason I had the HD800 for a while) was that since the upper treble (14khz+) was recessed, it made violin, harpsichord and many classical pieces sound rather bland and boring and muffled. 

I've repurchased HD650s since swapping HD800s for speakers, but this time rather than running HD650s out of an NFB12 like I did last time, I'm just using my receiver's headphone out (Harman Kardon HK3490). It sounds way better than before. Overall quality is great from the Harmon Kardon, but most noticeably it's not at all laid back like my NFB12 was. I know for a fact the NFB12 was noticeably laid back because I once A/B'ed with direct output from my laptop, and while the laptop wasn't powerful enough to get good quality, the treble was noticeably more forward than with the NFB12.

Right now I'm really re-impressed with the HD650. Honestly this sounds about as neutral as I can imagine, great soundstage (much improved over the NFB12), dynamic feeling, etc. As opposed to the HD800, which has a bit too much treble, I'm finding the HD650 from a neutral dac/amp is remarkably well balanced all the way up to the far upper treble. The HD800 is still a head in treble quality, but I must say the HD650 is really really really good. For what people often call a "laid back" headphone, the HD650 easily reaches up to beyond my 19khz hearing limit without dropping off.

TLDR: I'm pretty much certain that these are the last headphones I'll ever need. 

I came to the same exactly conclusion.  Other headphones might be technically better, but there is something about how the HD650 does everything combined.  congrats!

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #10,150 of 46,514
I have found the HD650 magical too... I went from my Beyer DT880 to the HD650 and there is something about the latter that just... works.

But I've also since ordered the HD800 and LCD-2.

This place induces a horrific case of upgraditis.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #10,151 of 46,514
Quote:
I have found the HD650 magical too... I went from my Beyer DT880 to the HD650 and there is something about the latter that just... works.

And you only have 14 posts...! This is going to be expensive for you. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #10,152 of 46,514
Quote:

all 3 are amazing headphones.  for me, the LCD2 wasnt comfortable enough but I liked the sound a lot.  the HD800 sounded amazing with some songs, others not so much.  Since i play on random, i wanted more of an all-arounder.  interested to see what you think. I would give the 3 more time than you think since the HD800 will sound super bright right after the other two and vise versa.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #10,154 of 46,514
Quote:

I agree.  I still keep my DT880's around because they are comfortable, great for games and home theater in their staging, and have nice deep bass impact.  The HD650's just offer a much more coherent sound that is pleasing with a wider range of genres.  Instrument and vocal timbre is wonderfully natural on the 650's and not nearly so good on the 880's, possibly due to their treble peak around 4khz - which unfortunately boosts certain high fundemental frequencies in addition to overtones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back