Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #7,324 of 46,512
Agreed.  A pair pops up for $300 on the FS forums once in a while.  If you're looking for a new pair for $300, you're going to be looking for a long time.

Realistically, whatever I find them for in the next few days is what I'll get them for. I've been sayingI wish for years. After really looking at what cable TV is costing me because my wife wants it and I don't ever watch it, she can't tell me it's too much money anymore. If you love music, then you should never have to say "Bose is the best I can afford". So I'll check razordog, and see what else I can find. but the general opinion is the quality is high enough that a sennheiser warranty isn't crucial?

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #7,325 of 46,512
Quote:
So I'll check razordog, and see what else I can find. but the general opinion is the quality is high enough that a sennheiser warranty isn't crucial?

They're not likely to fail unless you blow them sky high by cranking the volume.  If you take good care of them, they'll take good care of you.  The same can be said about pretty much any mid-tier to top-tier headphone.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #7,326 of 46,512
Quote:

They're not likely to fail unless you blow them sky high by cranking the volume.  If you take good care of them, they'll take good care of you.  The same can be said about pretty much any mid-tier to top-tier headphone.

Yeah, I think I've been told if my memory serves me if you drove them loud enough to blow it would probably cause hearing damage (assuming they were on your head). I've cranked mine up to max a few times (not a high end amp mind you, so max is just "pretty high" for now) to see how loud they can go and feel the bass in the headband for my hip hop for a couple of seconds, and once I heard something funny but I was told it was unlikely to be damage and I'm probably OK (not to mean it's still there, I don't think it is), so if you don't have random "tourettes" sparks that make you want to do that like me (I don't know what's wrong with me 
redface.gif
) and you don't stretch and drop them all the time you should be alright. I bought mine refurb for $338 from SonicSenseProAudio on eBay. I don't even know if I have a warranty and I don't remember if they're an authorized dealer but I'll figure that out when and if necessary. Happy listening 
beyersmile.png

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #7,327 of 46,512
I have a question about improving the soundstage on my HD650's. I currently have an O2 + ODAC installed with them on my desktop computer but I want to know if there are any good programs that will help me experiment with the sound. Keep in mind I haven't used an equalizer or anything of that sort before and I just want to know a good starting software, preferably a free one that might enhance the sound and soundstage.

Also, what other advice do you recommend, as I am a total newbie to the headphone scene, to research on that's related to my HD 650s? (Cables, mods, software, etc)

Thanks

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #7,328 of 46,512
Quote:
I have a question about improving the soundstage on my HD650's. I currently have an O2 + ODAC installed with them on my desktop computer but I want to know if there are any good programs that will help me experiment with the sound. Keep in mind I haven't used an equalizer or anything of that sort before and I just want to know a good starting software, preferably a free one that might enhance the sound and soundstage.

Also, what other advice do you recommend, as I am a total newbie to the headphone scene, to research on that's related to my HD 650s? (Cables, mods, software, etc)

Thanks

You probably want to get your hands on foobar2000 and some flac files if you haven't already.

Lots of nice plug-ins for that program.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #7,329 of 46,512
Just received my HD650.  They sound amazing, but I can't help thinking there's something wrong with them, based on other people's impressions.
They're...bright.  REALLY bright.  Like they have a huge treble peak.  Massive.  As bright as my k702s were.  Brighter than my DT880s

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #7,330 of 46,512
Quote:
Just received my HD650.  They sound amazing, but I can't help thinking there's something wrong with them, based on other people's impressions.
They're...bright.  REALLY bright.  Like they have a huge treble peak.  Massive.  As bright as my k702s were.  Brighter than my DT880s

HD650's aren't bright, no one thinks they're bright. I've never heard that word associated with the HD650s before.

Something might be wrong or if you're really really unlucky you've gotten some kind of chinese counterfeit.

What kind of amp/source are you running?

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #7,332 of 46,512

Bright? I asked few posts before and they said there is no fake 650. Is it second hand?

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #7,333 of 46,512
Quote:
Bright? I asked few posts before and they said there is no fake 650. Is it second hand?

Nope.  Sealed.
It's not BRIGHT, it's just...even.  Like, there's no sibilance of any kind, but there's tons of treble.  It has clearer treble than my DT880/600, which I have right next to me.  It doesn't have a mid-high bump like the K702 or the DT880/600.  It's even through that area.  It's after that, in the 15-20khz area that there's tons of presence.  I A/B my headphones playing pink noise with the trees in my back yard, and the HD650 is the closest yet.
I may be worth noting that I can hear up to 21khz.

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #7,334 of 46,512
Hey everyone! I'm receiving my hd650s on friday, but i need an amp for them since i only have the e17 right now. Some options i've been considering are the schiit asgard/valhalla, nfb-12.1, audiomaverik d1, and the nuforce hdp. Has anyone heard these or have any other recommendations? 

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #7,335 of 46,512
Quote:
Hey everyone! I'm receiving my hd650s on friday, but i need an amp for them since i only have the e17 right now. Some options i've been considering are the schiit asgard/valhalla, nfb-12.1, audiomaverik d1, and the nuforce hdp. Has anyone heard these or have any other recommendations? 

For the 650, I'd recommend something a bit more clinical like the O2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back