Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #7,231 of 46,514
Edit: I guess you're right. I'm still a little skeptical. I've seen many people say it sounds the same but I'm too stubborn to not try and see if I hear any differences myself plus I'm not too concernced about disc space.

Compression rates are at about 50% with flac so the payoff is pretty good. Also, the tagging issue with wav is a dealbreaker in itself for most people.

I'm not sure what kind of people you are talking to that claim lossless isn't lossless. A quick look with a program like Audacity will show exactly identical waveforms.

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #7,233 of 46,514
Quote:

[size=1.8333em] Sennheiser HD650 Rap Music Sound Quality Test[/size]

I posted this as a comment on the video too:

[size=13.333333015441895px]The sound from the video is only going to be as good as the medium recreating it, and the audio compression from YouTube. I'm listening on 720p on my 650s currently (and I might check this guy out, thanks!) but if someone were using Beats, the sound would only go as good as Beats go right?[/size]

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #7,235 of 46,514
X2, I've been wanting to try the O2 as well, and maybe the ODAC. Just to try the neutral sound, and also to see how it good it is. Not for transparency, but in overall detail retrieval, like they say it's as transparent and measures the same as the amp in the Benchmark DAC1 but how "good" is it in comparison, y'know? If anyone has anything to say on that, that's great, and I'll try to keep you updated Darth (if/when I get mine).

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #7,237 of 46,514
I never had the 555 but i did have the 555 with the foam mod.  What I got by stepping up to the 600 was more extension at the edges of the frequency spectrum, as well as a more coherent soundstage and increased detail retrieval all in all an upgrade in every aspect.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #7,241 of 46,514
Quote:
If anyone is looking to buy these, i recommend getting it from Music Direct. It is $400, regular price. 
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7502-sennheiser-hd650-headphones.aspx
Oh, and im getting them within the next few months, is the O2 + ODAC combo good for it?

The O2 will definitely drive the HD650's. Haven't heard the ODAC yet but I've heard it sounds very good with them. I'd wait to ask around. Do some research on the Maverick Tube Magic D1 as well.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #7,242 of 46,514
Jul 29, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #7,243 of 46,514
Quote:
That's what I get.
Bought the Sen HD650 while it was on sales in Amazon and O2+ODAC in black. 
Can't wait to get my hand on them

You'll love them :) Just got mine a few weeks ago. Haven't really stopped listening to them ever since. I'm waiting on the ODAC to arrive but it doesn't ship till the 31st :/ 

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #7,244 of 46,514
Quote:

I don't think its anything like the HD650 and I've never heard one, lol.  The LCD-2 sure have me intrigued though.

Regardless, the HD650s are keepers for me.  Honestly, they are my price peak for headphones.  Sound outside of the body (beyond the outer ear zone) is still where its at for me unless i have no other choice.

Bit of an old post but you're absolutely right - the HD800 is nothing like the HD650, it's like if they were made by a different company.

They share "some" traits in that their both have a slightly dry clean sound that most senns have. But other than that they're very different.

The HD650 (even when amped with top of the line stuff) has a pretty small and cosy soundstage. It has a warm and forgiving sound that doesn't exaggerate bad recordings.

The HD800 has an arena feel soundstage that is one of the biggest I've ever heard, it's not really bright but it has massive detail retrival and can sound a little bit thin in the bass deparment. It does have good lower end bass but it's very clean and dry and not at all bloomy. It's also completely unforgiving towards ANYTHING upstreams.

I've tried to like the HD800 on many occasions but at the end of the day it just isn't my kind of headphone. I recognize that the HD800 is technically superior and I don't argue that it's worth its asking price. But I'm in it to enjoy music and I simply enjoy music more on my HD650s.

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #7,245 of 46,514
Quote:
Bit of an old post but you're absolutely right - the HD800 is nothing like the HD650, it's like if they were made by a different company.

They share "some" traits in that their both have a slightly dry clean sound that most senns have. But other than that they're very different.

The HD650 (even when amped with top of the line stuff) has a pretty small and cosy soundstage. It has a warm and forgiving sound that doesn't exaggerate bad recordings.

The HD800 has an arena feel soundstage that is one of the biggest I've ever heard, it's not really bright but it has massive detail retrival and can sound a little bit thin in the bass deparment. It does have good lower end bass but it's very clean and dry and not at all bloomy. It's also completely unforgiving towards ANYTHING upstreams.

I've tried to like the HD800 on many occasions but at the end of the day it just isn't my kind of headphone. I recognize that the HD800 is technically superior and I don't argue that it's worth its asking price. But I'm in it to enjoy music and I simply enjoy music more on my HD650s.

To be honest I really didn't like the HD800 in store, much prefered my old HD650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back