Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #7,248 of 46,535
Quote:

To be honest I really didn't like the HD800 in store, much prefered my old HD650's.

That's because the HD 800 are neutral and very revealing of the source.

They would have shown up any deficiencies in the headphone amplifier and anything before that - even bad microphone placement in the recording.

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #7,249 of 46,535
Quote:
Bit of an old post but you're absolutely right - the HD800 is nothing like the HD650, it's like if they were made by a different company.

They share "some" traits in that their both have a slightly dry clean sound that most senns have. But other than that they're very different.

The HD650 (even when amped with top of the line stuff) has a pretty small and cosy soundstage. It has a warm and forgiving sound that doesn't exaggerate bad recordings.

The HD800 has an arena feel soundstage that is one of the biggest I've ever heard, it's not really bright but it has massive detail retrival and can sound a little bit thin in the bass deparment. It does have good lower end bass but it's very clean and dry and not at all bloomy. It's also completely unforgiving towards ANYTHING upstreams.

I've tried to like the HD800 on many occasions but at the end of the day it just isn't my kind of headphone. I recognize that the HD800 is technically superior and I don't argue that it's worth its asking price. But I'm in it to enjoy music and I simply enjoy music more on my HD650s.

I don't know what you're talking about. My HD650s are brutally unforgiving when it comes to bad recording or mastering quality. Granted I haven't heard the HD800s so maybe it's significantly more apparent, but the HD650s are not forgiving by any stretch of the imagination paired with a revealing DAC.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #7,250 of 46,535
Quote:

That's because the HD 800 are neutral and very revealing of the source.

They would have shown up any deficiencies in the headphone amplifier and anything before that - even bad microphone placement in the recording.

A music listener buying headphones that reveal every little flaw in the upstream and downstream chains of playback and recording is like a photo studio buying camera lenses that reveal every little flaw in the model's skin complexion.  Sometimes it's better to pay more for something that makes the subject more attractive, and when you can make the subject more attractive for less money, it's a win-win
biggrin.gif

Trouble-finding headphones are excellent tools and every studio professional should own one if they care about their output, and every audio designer and installer should own one for testing.   There's absolutely a place for headphones like the HD800.  They'd be invaluable as a professional tool .  But I think ultimately HD800 and HD650 have different intentions.  HD800 is a studio tool.  HD650 is a music listening device.  I still haven't ruled out an HD800 for utilitarian purposes....but I wouldn't reach for one when I wanted to sit down and enjoy the concert.

Obviously some people like yourself do like that kind of detail for their daily listening.  But I think there's fewer that do than don't.  And I suspect many that do work or have worked in the recording or gigging biz at some point, such as your self in the processing biz. With a certain background in production, the perception of the normal music experience is different. 
Quote:

I don't know what you're talking about. My HD650s are brutally unforgiving when it comes to bad recording or mastering quality. Granted I haven't heard the HD800s so maybe it's significantly more apparent, but the HD650s are not forgiving by any stretch of the imagination paired with a revealing DAC.

Indeed they are.  They're actually quite a detailed headphone and as such they reveal all the flaws almost as well as it's more workbench oriented cousins above.  But what it does is rolls off some of the frequencies where those details of the flaws are evident so they don't jump out at you as much and you can still enjoy the show.  Headphones like the HD800 accentuate some of those frequencies or at least don't try to hide them so they throw all the detail in your face....good or bad.  That's what makes them "oh so detailed", but also what makes them so unforgiving.   That is a desirable trait for production purposes where you need to identify every flaw before the final master.  It can be unpleasant for listening to all but the most perfect recordings played on the most perfect playback chains.

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #7,251 of 46,535
I got a used 650 for a good price from a guy who no longer listens to them.
They are by far the most comfortable cans I have used!

One concern is the left metal band is slightly bent so the headphone does not make a perfect oval.
It does not discomfort the wearing (not at all) but it doesn't look the best.

Is there a way that I can just replace the left metal band? I tried to bend it back but I am worried if I may snap it.
The whole band costs like 120 dollars which is not very tempting.

Plus, how do you clean the inside?
I used my camera blower but it doesnt really take the dust out like I want it to.
I taped out the dust on the metal, plastic areas but I really do not want to touch the driver. I can see dust sitting on the driver.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #7,252 of 46,535
Quote:
I got a used 650 for a good price from a guy who no longer listens to them.
They are by far the most comfortable cans I have used!

One concern is the left metal band is slightly bent so the headphone does not make a perfect oval.
It does not discomfort the wearing (not at all) but it doesn't look the best.

Is there a way that I can just replace the left metal band? I tried to bend it back but I am worried if I may snap it.
The whole band costs like 120 dollars which is not very tempting.

Plus, how do you clean the inside?
I used my camera blower but it doesnt really take the dust out like I want it to.
I taped out the dust on the metal, plastic areas but I really do not want to touch the driver. I can see dust sitting on the driver.

I haven't seen just that part for sale,though every piece of HD650 is modular so if you could find it, you could do it.  You may want to call the parts department at Sennheiser and see what they say.

I wouldn't use anything more intensive than a camera blower, you used the right tool.  I've never needed to clean dust out of it...but I certainly wouldn't use compressed air or anything that TOUCHES the driver.  IF the camera blower and the driver itself don't move the dust, it's probably best not to worry about it.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #7,253 of 46,535
Quote:

In the world of $400-500 headphones they are forgiving in that even relatively crappy mainstream recordings will sound ok on them. Try the same recording with a pair of HD800 and you'd probably rather puncture your eardrums. The HD650 is detailed but pretty forgiving, the HD800 is hyper-detailed and brutally unforgiving. If you had heard the HD800 I'm sure you would agree
beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #7,254 of 46,535
Quote:
I haven't seen just that part for sale,though every piece of HD650 is modular so if you could find it, you could do it.  You may want to call the parts department at Sennheiser and see what they say.

I wouldn't use anything more intensive than a camera blower, you used the right tool.  I've never needed to clean dust out of it...but I certainly wouldn't use compressed air or anything that TOUCHES the driver.  IF the camera blower and the driver itself don't move the dust, it's probably best not to worry about it.

I asked them about a source of spare parts for the IE80 and they sent me a link to a German based company that handles their spare parts:
http://www.kopfhoerer-ersatzteile.de/advanced_search_result.php/keywords/hd%20650
As you can see they also only sell the complete headband. You might want to buy a broken / defect HD 580/600/650 on Ebay to get hold of some spare parts.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #7,255 of 46,535
Quote:
I posted this as a comment on the video too:

[size=13.333333015441895px]The sound from the video is only going to be as good as the medium recreating it, and the audio compression from YouTube. I'm listening on 720p on my 650s currently (and I might check this guy out, thanks!) but if someone were using Beats, the sound would only go as good as Beats go right?[/size]

Yea , i posted the video for people who read that the sennheiser hd 650 has low bass , to use this video(even though its far from the original quality) to determine how good the bass on these headphones are.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #7,256 of 46,535
Quote:

In the world of $400-500 headphones they are forgiving in that even relatively crappy mainstream recordings will sound ok on them. Try the same recording with a pair of HD800 and you'd probably rather puncture your eardrums. The HD650 is detailed but pretty forgiving, the HD800 is hyper-detailed and brutally unforgiving. If you had heard the HD800 I'm sure you would agree
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #7,257 of 46,535
Ok
a noob question
Is HD650 good enough to be a portable headphone?
I like listening in quiet environment like in my own room (connected to notebook), park, inside a car and classroom in the early morning.

I have dap rocoo BA and amp/dac Govibe Martini-U that's supposed to be able to drive a 300 ohm headphone.

Sry for my bad english

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #7,258 of 46,535
Quote:
Ok
a noob question
Is HD650 good enough to be a portable headphone?
I like listening in quiet environment like in my own room (connected to notebook), park, inside a car and classroom in the early morning.

I have dap rocoo BA and amp/dac Govibe Martini-U that's supposed to be able to drive a 300 ohm headphone.

Sry for my bad english

No.
It is similar to carrying a boombox instead of your mp3 player.
It is do-a-ble, but it is fully open phone, with 3m thick cable, that is huge.

If you do not need to listen to them while you are on move
than yes its okay if you do not need to worry about bothering everyone with 
open headphone.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #7,259 of 46,535
Well, sure- it is good enough. However keep one thing in mind- this headphone is intended to be used with dedicated home equipment therefore you most likely will be missing out a lot.

I'd rather get something else for semi portable listening. What about AKG K550?

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #7,260 of 46,535
I currently have AKG K550 and enjoyed it for a month, but after I listened to my friend's HD650, i was like blown away by its sound signature
it's like a perfect match to my ears

*edited*
I'm sorry if this is a bit out of topic
Beside HD650, I'm interested in HD598, its color scheme is stylish to my taste... anyone tried it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back