Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #6,826 of 46,554
Quote:
I always failed to see how people can experience clamping issues with this headphone. Maybe my head is just small, but I think the comfort of these things is just majestic.
Only bad thing is that they get kinda uncomfortable when I lean over to read a book/piece of paper on my desk. As a result I have gotten used to turning on the speakers whenever I want to read a book.

Why would leaning over get uncomfortable with them?  It's not like they have the tremendous forward weight shift of planars. 

The comfort is excellent on them.  It's easy to think of them as clamping if all you've compared against is cheaper headphones.  But it does depend on head structure and which of your squishy bits it happens to press on.  That goes for any headphone.  K702's a stranger one.  It's brutally uncomfortable, even painful at first, but after 20 minutes melts into extreme comfort.  The big thing with the 650 is to keep the bottom away from the jaw bone.  That means putting the headband a little forward, but after dealing with HE-400 I adapted to that easily enough.

May 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #6,827 of 46,554
Why would leaning over get uncomfortable with them?  It's not like they have the tremendous forward weight shift of planars. 

The comfort is excellent on them.  It's easy to think of them as clamping if all you've compared against is cheaper headphones.  But it does depend on head structure and which of your squishy bits it happens to press on.  That goes for any headphone.  K702's a stranger one.  It's brutally uncomfortable, even painful at first, but after 20 minutes melts into extreme comfort.  The big thing with the 650 is to keep the bottom away from the jaw bone.  That means putting the headband a little forward, but after dealing with HE-400 I adapted to that easily enough.

When I lean forward the headphones tend to shift forward a bit and press against the back of my pinna, which I don't really like. The clamping force is probably too little in my case.
It could also be caused by the sound coming from an unrealistic direction if I lean forward. I don't know exactly what is causing it, but I'm fine with using speakers.

May 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6,828 of 46,554
Quote:
I always failed to see how people can experience clamping issues with this headphone. Maybe my head is just small, but I think the comfort of these things is just majestic.
Only bad thing is that they get kinda uncomfortable when I lean over to read a book/piece of paper on my desk. As a result I have gotten used to turning on the speakers whenever I want to read a book.

Same here, the HD6X0 series of headphones always fit my head perfectly without any discomfort, and staying snug whenever I move my head.  While I love my AT headphones, they will slide around a little if I tip my head forward a little.  

May 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #6,829 of 46,554
Quote:
you can't beat the comfort of these headphones.

my old 595's are more comfy for sure, but that's just because they were cheaper plastic so they weighed less, and they didn't clamp as hard either.  once my 650's break in, i'm sure they'll clamp less. (it's still not enough to bug me but i know a lot of people who're sensitive to that might get headaches or whatnot)

Clamp your HD650 between books, a box, a ball or pillow which is as width as your head. The clamping force will soften after few weeks and it will get very comfortable.

May 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #6,831 of 46,554
Quote:
^ Don't do that. You'll strain the plastic headband. Just extend the metal arms as far as they go and gently bend that section.

it hasn't given me a headache or anything and i like that i can move around without it flying off my head so i might just leave it be.  if it does start to bother me, i'll definitely go with this approach though.  two sets of pliers and some cloth to keep them from marring up the metal?

May 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #6,832 of 46,554
Quote:
Same here, the HD6X0 series of headphones always fit my head perfectly without any discomfort, and staying snug whenever I move my head.  While I love my AT headphones, they will slide around a little if I tip my head forward a little.  

AT's have almost zero clamp, and slide around even my head freely if I move it with any sudden motion.  That's both why I dislike them and why I like them.   The HD650 is the most comfortable high-end headphone I've tried, but my AD700's are the most comfortable headphone in general by miles because they apply almost no force and are feather light.  But they don't create a seal of any sort, either.

Quote:

Clamp your HD650 between books, a box, a ball or pillow which is as width as your head. The clamping force will soften after few weeks and it will get very comfortable.

Quote:
^ Don't do that. You'll strain the plastic headband. Just extend the metal arms as far as they go and gently bend that section.

Overstretching, yes, but if it's the size of a head, lots of people use mannequin heads (which I find highly disturbing) as headphone stands for them without problems. I'd think as long as the stretching distance was purely head-sized and no bigger one wouldn't risk straining the band.  Though I agree, caution first!

May 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #6,833 of 46,554
Quote:

AT's have almost zero clamp, and slide around even my head freely if I move it with any sudden motion.  That's both why I dislike them and why I like them.   The HD650 is the most comfortable high-end headphone I've tried, but my AD700's are the most comfortable headphone in general by miles because they apply almost no force and are feather light.  But they don't create a seal of any sort, either.

Overstretching, yes, but if it's the size of a head, lots of people use mannequin heads (which I find highly disturbing) as headphone stands for them without problems. I'd think as long as the stretching distance was purely head-sized and no bigger one wouldn't risk straining the band.  Though I agree, caution first!

Another reason not to stretch it like that is that your are not actually stretching the headband but rather compressing the cushions. which is bad. The recommended method is always to extend the metal bands and bend them, any other method will either risk breaking the headband or compressing the cushions.

May 31, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #6,834 of 46,554
Quote:
Hi guys, first post in this thread. I'm kind of new to high quality audio, but I've had a pair of Sennheiser IE80 for a few months now with a Fiio e17, and let me say the sound is nothing short of phenominal.
However I'm looking to make the next big step in audio equipment and quality. I want full size cans and these HD650 look like a good fit. Price is decent, plenty if glowing reviews, etc.
So how would someone coming from the IE80 to this find it? Will it blow me away or would it just be an incremental upgrade? I would imagine the soundstage may be noticeably bigger right?
Sent from my Desire HD

I am currently using IE80 with more than 100 hours burn and a HD650 with more than 600 hours of burn in. Normally I used IE80 with E17 and HD650 with Bifrost and Lyr + Amperex tubes. When both are played from E17, HD650 sounds better (beautiful and lush mid and treble) in all departments except with less bass. IE80 has stronger bass than HD650. When both are played from Lyr, HD650 also sounds better in all departments. It will be a significant upgrade if you can also get a good desktop system (like mine or better) to fully drive the HD650. By the way, you can get a HD650 for good price from razordogdeals (authorized Sennheiser reseller).

May 31, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #6,835 of 46,554
Quote:
I can't say for sure as I've never heard IE80s or any other IEMs in their price range (heck they cost more than what I paid for my 650s!) but I don't think the 650s could be technically worse as they are full cans vs. IEMs. Would you be amping the 650s from the E17?

You can also get good price for IE80 from razordogdeals (authorized Sennheiser reseller). It will be about the same price as HD650.

May 31, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #6,837 of 46,554
Eh, I've had the HD650 for more than a year now and I've never gotten over the clamping. I don't think I have too big of a head, but the clamping is just really bad when I wear glasses. I do stretch them out over a pillow, and they initially feel OK, but they start clamping again in no time.

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #6,838 of 46,554
Quote:
Eh, I've had the HD650 for more than a year now and I've never gotten over the clamping. I don't think I have too big of a head, but the clamping is just really bad when I wear glasses. I do stretch them out over a pillow, and they initially feel OK, but they start clamping again in no time.

as been told numerous times in the thread, the correct way to stretch them is to extend the metal bands and bend them using your hands. If you do this the clamping will completely go away.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #6,839 of 46,554
Quote:

Are you sure you've opened the headband wide enough? Because there's 1/2" or so of padding its easy to keep the headband too closed which increases clamping.  That may help if you open it more.

Or just buy HiFimans.  Clamp-B-Gone when you go back to Senn
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back