Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #6,796 of 46,565
Quote:
Is the asgard warmer than the lyr?
Also, let's say I decide to spend the extra mony on the lyr, would it be fine with the stock tubes?

Short answer: It's not warmer than Lyr.  Long answer: It depends on tubes.   Since the Lyr is 1/2 SS, it no doubt uses the same general warmth producing topology as Asgard.   The other half of Lyr is tubes, so whatever tube sound you get out of the tubes is dependent on what tubes you're using.  The stock GE 6BZ7's are fairly neutral with a hint of warmth, the 6N1Ps are said to be warmer and more "tubey" sounding.  And then there's the exotics in the tube market. I have some Mullards, an entry high-end tube on the way...we'll see how it sounds. 

You already ordered your asgard, but just for the FYI, I'm actually fond of the stock GE 6BZ7's in the absence of having heard anything better.  However, the nature of messing with tubes means sometimes you get a noisy one, or microphonic one, etc.  Especially with NOS (old stock sitting around since the 60's or older), there's no way to know.  For $10 a tube though the GEs are pretty good.  But I had to remove two that were just too noisy.

Quote:
Thanks! And I've found that the amp itself is allowed to be discussed on here BTW (you can discuss banned member's stuff but not the user themself now apparently). And I mean old news like it had been succeeded by something that' s just overall better but nonetheless I'll look into the DAC1. But, isn't there better overall sound quality to be had over the O2, like the SPL Auditor? Like wouldn't that be the same totally flat SS since it's studio gear, and still be better in the sense that it has more detail, accuracy, soundstage etc? Better jacks, power supply, and I read a review where someone noticed some sibilance (at lower volumes I think, but if I'm wrong whatever it's still sibilance) that they read would go away slowly with burn in.
Would an SPL Auditor be a good successor to the O2, or maybe something from Violetric?

Sure there's better SQ to be had over O2.  Auditor and Phonitor are excellent.  Among the best.  Why stop there, why not buy some Mark Levinson stuff while you're at it? The classic summit-fi $10,000 HD650 rig from years past is always just around the corner.  Why not go there?
wink.gif
  Eventually the question comes down to "what do I want, what do I not want, and what am I willing to pay for it?" If you have the money for an Auditor, go for it.  It's highly regarded.  Auditor should no doubt measure SLIGHTLY better than O2, and the aesthetics, build, and "handling" (volume pot etc) are sure to be much nicer.  But then there's Phonitor....only $1k more! The be-all end-all of neutral analytical amps and every bell and whistle one could ever want in an SS amp.  There are a lot of people that would say it's crazy to buy a $2k amp for a $500 headphone.  There's also a lot of people who would agree it's a good idea when they hear the headphone is HD650
biggrin.gif
  Same for K702 for that matter. Acix is a big proponent of Phonitor & K702.  A $2k amp for a $350 headphone. Then again, he's a studio engineer. 

SPL and Violetric make very good studio equipment, and even the designer of the O2 handily states that his only comes close to some of their measurements but that they still measure even better.  If you've got the funds and like neutral amps, go for it, I doubt you'll regret it. The only catch is you're paying 5-15x more money for probably 10%, if that, measurable difference.  However you're also getting nicer aesthetics, nicer connectors, controls, volume pots etc, so there's more value to it than just SQ difference.

Quote:
This is the first review where I started questioning Headphonia reviews. It' pretty much goes against everything that I have read and heard about the Schiit trio of amps.

That's the first time you started questioning Headphonia?
confused_face_2.gif

My personal favorite is still the HE-400 review where they declare that HD650 still surpasses it on $2k+ rigs, and then in the comments section they state that the two are in different leagues and shouldn't be compared.  I'm convinced they blurt out whatever lands in their brain at any moment.  But it's still fun to read
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I've got the monster Furutech on my HD650 Black Dragon cable and tat will be perfect for the Lyr.  I'm finding that I'm using the HE400 mostly with my MacBook Air >> FiiO E17 >> HE400 or even directly out of my iPod Classic so a small, light weight classy looking plug works on them.  I have a Moon/BD & Senn 1/4-1/8 adaptor cable but either would add bulk.

My HP system DAC is the Matrix Mini-i and Enigma is awesome for the DAC/AMP combo. I'll be using it as a standalone DAC when the Lyr comes in.  Enigma is just incredible on my main system.. OPPO BDP-83 or MacBook Air >> PS Audio DLIII DAC >> Rotel 1560 >> Martin Logan Vista mains & Grotto-i sub.. heavenly.. detailed.. you can hear some of the subtle pings coming out of mid air.

Congrats on your 500th post!! 

Makes sense.  For me, if I'm using big headphones, Lyr or O2 comes out.  If I'm using an ipod/E11, the IEMs come out.  Small, light, classy jacks all around
biggrin.gif

Oooh.....Rotel and Logans....I'm suffering a relapse to my stereophile days.....pardon me while I'm drooling
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks! I think I deserve a bonus post-count.  My posts in this thread have been 5x the length of normal posts
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Well my head-fi friends, I took the plunge.  I have some HD650's, Asgard, and Bifrost coming in the mail.  Woo woo!

Will the Bifrost come with an optical spdif cable or will I have to go buy one?

Oh, and another question... what cables should I use to go between the bifrost and the asgard.  something tells me that going to radio shack and buying cheap rca cables is a no-no.

Congrats on the HD650+Bifrost+Asgard combo!   It's as pretty as it is good sounding
biggrin.gif
  It should be quite the audio  experience coming into something like that.  Enjoy the first moments!

No S/PDIF cable is included.  No RCA cables are included. Just the power cord.  If you're connecting to a toslink-only source you'll obviously go Toslink.  If you have a choice of Toslink or coax, I always tend to prefer Coax unless running in a high noise environment like near a computer power supply.

What cables?  Now you've done it....you've opened the cable debate flood gates...
tongue.gif
   Honestly, my preference is while I like having high-end headphone cables for whatever coloration I prefer, I prefer simple clean interconnects.  Ratshack cables will work just fine.  Most would be happy with it.  If you want to treat yourself a bit and go with something custom that matches the Schiit stuff aesthetically and performs very well, drop Blue Jeans a line and inquire about custom 6 inch 1805F cables.  If you go with regular RCA's it'd probably be $35 or $40 or so for the pair.  If you wanted right angle connectors it would probably be $60 or so (right angle costs more.).    I actually went through configuring that, but ended up not buying it at the time.  I'm running some crazy set of adaptors.  I needed y-cables.  I have some crazy audioquest bundle with monoprice adapters going on. It's a mess. I may get a Blue Jeans MSA-1 right angle to finish up my setup next year.

I'm running a Blue Jeans 1505F for my digital coax, and an MSA-1 rom my one right angle split to the 1/8 TRS on my O2.   BJC isn't as exotic as Moon or Signal, but it's nice studio-grade stuff and the specs are provided as PDFs.  No question of them not being neutral.
biggrin.gif

But for now, radioshack is probably as close as you'll get to good in a brick & mortar store.  And no point buying Monster or something....BJC would be cheaper and more "tried & true".

May 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #6,797 of 46,565
Quote:
Quote:

Sure there's better SQ to be had over O2.  Auditor and Phonitor are excellent.  Among the best.  Why stop there, why not buy some Mark Levinson stuff while you're at it? The classic summit-fi $10,000 HD650 rig from years past is always just around the corner.  Why not go there?
wink.gif
  Eventually the question comes down to "what do I want, what do I not want, and what am I willing to pay for it?" If you have the money for an Auditor, go for it.  It's highly regarded.  Auditor should no doubt measure SLIGHTLY better than O2, and the aesthetics, build, and "handling" (volume pot etc) are sure to be much nicer.  But then there's Phonitor....only $1k more! The be-all end-all of neutral analytical amps and every bell and whistle one could ever want in an SS amp.  There are a lot of people that would say it's crazy to buy a $2k amp for a $500 headphone.  There's also a lot of people who would agree it's a good idea when they hear the headphone is HD650
biggrin.gif
  Same for K702 for that matter. Acix is a big proponent of Phonitor & K702.  A $2k amp for a $350 headphone. Then again, he's a studio engineer. 

SPL and Violetric make very good studio equipment, and even the designer of the O2 handily states that his only comes close to some of their measurements but that they still measure even better.  If you've got the funds and like neutral amps, go for it, I doubt you'll regret it. The only catch is you're paying 5-15x more money for probably 10%, if that, measurable difference.  However you're also getting nicer aesthetics, nicer connectors, controls, volume pots etc, so there's more value to it than just SQ difference.

Thanks, that clears a lot up. I'll try the O2 and see if I like it, and if I do, then in the future I'll look into Auditor/Phonitor. I think that 10% is worth it for me just for my sanity (so I can be confident in my purchase and not kill myself wondering). And Jude apparently likes HD800 and Phonitor if my memory serves me right (an old Head-Fi TV Episode), but I'm not sure if I'd wanna mess with all the extra controls. If there's a big hike in quality and driving capability between Auditor and Phonitor I might be interested, and/or I can disable all the extra controls and just have my volume knob (I might not wanna mess with crossfade and stuff etc., I'd like there to be a default). Is there a default for all those extra knobs? IS there a big quality difference? I'm just wondering what you might know off the top of your head, I can do my own research later on if needed. 

May 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #6,798 of 46,565
If you're not going to use any of those features, there's ostensibly no point in having them in the first place.  You might as well just get an Auditor and save yourself some money.  Or you can alternatively pick up a used Gilmore Lite/GS1.  Or use the amp in the DAC1.  Or just stick with the O2.

May 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #6,799 of 46,565
Quote:

Thanks, that clears a lot up. I'll try the O2 and see if I like it, and if I do, then in the future I'll look into Auditor/Phonitor. I think that 10% is worth it for me just for my sanity (so I can be confident in my purchase and not kill myself wondering). And Jude apparently likes HD800 and Phonitor if my memory serves me right (an old Head-Fi TV Episode), but I'm not sure if I'd wanna mess with all the extra controls. If there's a big hike in quality and driving capability between Auditor and Phonitor I might be interested, and/or I can disable all the extra controls and just have my volume knob (I might not wanna mess with crossfade and stuff etc., I'd like there to be a default). Is there a default for all those extra knobs? IS there a big quality difference? I'm just wondering what you might know off the top of your head, I can do my own research later on if needed. 

...and on this day, a Head-Fi'er was born....
bigsmile_face.gif

Both are studio oriented, but the Phonitor is excessively studio oriented, complete with analog VU meters for each channel. Not that I'd mind having one, but I question whether I'd ever use half its features. If you're not recording, odds are it's probably not worth double the price.

May 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #6,800 of 46,565
Quote:

...and on this day, a Head-Fi'er was born....
bigsmile_face.gif

Both are studio oriented, but the Phonitor is excessively studio oriented, complete with analog VU meters for each channel. Not that I'd mind having one, but I question whether I'd ever use half its features. If you're not recording, odds are it's probably not worth double the price.

Yeah I didn't even realize the price difference. I am curious as to if they have the same sound quality, like as amps, and the Phonitor just has the extra studio features.
And I'll decide if the Auditor is worth it after comparing to my O2 when I have both.
I have a vinyl rig in my room now, and I hope my needle is ok. My friend subsconsciously tapped his finger on the arm while it was hovering over the record and the turntable was off, and it hit the record multiple times. It was straight down, so wouldn't it be OK? I ask here because everyone ignored me in the "Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable" thread (with this question). Anyone?

May 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #6,801 of 46,565
And thanks very, very much IEMCrazy for all your help! I think I'm set on my journey for a while :)
A new tip is like $20 for me so I don't mind it myself but I won't hear the end of it after my dad drives me 30min to the shop to buy like a third one just out of suspicion 
redface.gif

I am so paranoid because I'm dealing with limited edition records, and if it gets damaged, tough luck! Only so many made....

May 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #6,802 of 46,565
I must say, I've enjoyed reading the last 5 or so pages of this thread.  It's always a pleasure to pick the brains of experienced members, especially when looking for sound advice.  I feel like I've gained some insight into this crazy hobby of ours.  Keep up the great work guys and gals!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #6,803 of 46,565
so, my 650's showed up and i just took them for my first test drive. OH MY GAWD, JESUS CHRIST MONKEY BALLS.  these things are definitely in a class of their own.  you gotta pay to play and i'm glad i paid.  my asgard got here too but still waiting on the bifrost to show up so i'm actually testing these on my fiio e7, so i can't imagine how much better they'll sound on my asgard+bifrost.  (and even better after burn-in)

May 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #6,804 of 46,565
Quote:
so, my 650's showed up and i just took them for my first test drive. OH MY GAWD, JESUS CHRIST MONKEY BALLS.  these things are definitely in a class of their own.  you gotta pay to play and i'm glad i paid.  my asgard got here too but still waiting on the bifrost to show up so i'm actually testing these on my fiio e7, so i can't imagine how much better they'll sound on my asgard+bifrost.  (and even better after burn-in)

Love this expression. Same as mine when I had an opportunity to compare to other headphones, even the HD800s and T1s. They are one of the BEST VALUES you can get out there, on the used or even new market.

May 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #6,806 of 46,565
So, I added the "Bass Booster" section of the Equalizer into iTunes for the HD650's. Less tight and defined, but a lot more surge.

May 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #6,807 of 46,565
I've had my HD-650's for about a month now. And I know this is the best sound I have heard in a long time!

I have mine playing through my PC>Audio-GD NFB12

The NFB12 is a bass heavy for these though so I had to EQ 250 Hz and below a down few notches. So I know
when the budget allows I will try and get an amp that synergizes better with them. But for know I can't be happier.

May 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #6,808 of 46,565
Hi, would anyone kindly share with me their experience with the Bitfrost/Asgard/HD650 combo. What kind improvement SQ wise can I expect coming from E7/E9/HD650 combo? The price point seems to be within my budget and would appreciate some input here. Many thanks.

May 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #6,809 of 46,565
Quote:
Hi, would anyone kindly share with me their experience with the Bitfrost/Asgard/HD650 combo. What kind improvement SQ wise can I expect coming from E7/E9/HD650 combo? The price point seems to be within my budget and would appreciate some input here. Many thanks.

I'll be able to tell you in about a week! (and i'm using an e7 right now so it's nearly exactly what you'll be doing)

May 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #6,810 of 46,565
I got the JDS Labs ODAC PCB yesterday, and soldiered on some RCA cables today.  I'm using my 650's via a speedball Bottlehead Crack.  So far this DAC sounds great.  I don't consider myself to have golden ear's, I do hear differences here and there.  Mostly DAC's so far for me fall into 2 categories, Fatiguing or Non-fatiging.  My current DAC is the Audio-gd Fun, with which I've used AD1802, WM8470 and WM8471. The Wolfson's are non-fatiguing with the 8741 having the edge. That AD chip was painful. The ESS chip in the ODAC is very clear and detailed, and is in my non-fatiguing class.  To me it's a lot like the WM8741, I doubt I could tell them apart in an blind test.  In my opinion, those shopping for a DAC could find a great value in the ODAC. It does what a DAC should do, disappear and let me enjoy the music, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back