Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #6,361 of 46,518

Quote:
Yes, very much like that. If you were to listen to the HD650 analytically, everything wouldn't be as fast as other headphones.

Interesting you used the word "slow" there. Most people use the word "dull". I think you mean the same thing?

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #6,362 of 46,518
Does the headband get easier to adjust over time? Right now it is incredibly stiff to adjust, and it usually pulls out more than one notch or sometimes half a notch, making it hard to get both sides even fitting.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #6,363 of 46,518

Quote:
Does the headband get easier to adjust over time? Right now it is incredibly stiff to adjust, and it usually pulls out more than one notch or sometimes half a notch, making it hard to get both sides even fitting.

Yes, it will loosen over time.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #6,364 of 46,518
I thought I had a new silver screen version but now I'm not so sure. What does that even mean? The actual grill over the driver? Or the actual white/silver driver behind the grill? http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd650-600-and-580-updated-drivers/ This is all I could find on it and that comparison photo at the top just confuses me more, is the whole screen supposed to be white, or just the areas circled there?

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #6,365 of 46,518

Quote:
I thought I had a new silver screen version but now I'm not so sure. What does that even mean? The actual grill over the driver? Or the actual white/silver driver behind the grill? http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd650-600-and-580-updated-drivers/ This is all I could find on it and that comparison photo at the top just confuses me more, is the whole screen supposed to be white, or just the areas circled there?

Look here, not there: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-updated-drivers/

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6,366 of 46,518
Ah, okay thanks. I definitely have a new one as mine has the silver screening at the top and bottom like the photo on the right. I was worried there for a minute, I thought the whole grill was supposed to be silver and that I had gotten an old one, haha.

Quote:
Look here, not there: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-updated-drivers/

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #6,367 of 46,518
Hi all, new to the forum and to the hobby.  Been having the urge to buy a nice set of headphone.  Tonight, I'm in the process of ordering the Sennheiser HD650 once I can decide which place will get to me fastest.  Seems every websites that I have visited and even Amazon, these are listed at $499.  I have the money but would be nice if it was cheaper, more money towards a DAC/Amp.  Just wanted to chime in, pretty soon I'll own a pair of these babies.

If there's a store out there that sell them cheaper, do tell :D

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #6,368 of 46,518
You can definitely snatch a used pair of 650's for 300 - 370 on Amazon when the time is right. Most if not all individuals that own HD 650's baby them, so even a used pair is pretty decent. I finally got a Schiit Bifrost to pair with my Asgard and boy do my HD 650's shine. I don't think I'll be making anymore investments into my equipment until much, much later. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #6,369 of 46,518
I know I should wait for a price drop but I'm so impatient, I want a pair now, haha.  Endless, that's exactly what I actually am going for, I want to buy the Schiit Bifrost and Asgard with these headphone.  My wife said I have $1,000 to spend in total for this headset setup, of course a little more for tax and shipping.  Mention the Beyerdynamic T1 on sale over at Amazon, but the wife said it's over budget plus if I did get that headphone, there's no money left for amp & dac.  Would be a pair of nice looking useless headphone :frowning2:

Quote:
You can definitely snatch a used pair of 650's for 300 - 370 on Amazon when the time is right. Most if not all individuals that own HD 650's baby them, so even a used pair is pretty decent. I finally got a Schiit Bifrost to pair with my Asgard and boy do my HD 650's shine. I don't think I'll be making anymore investments into my equipment until much, much later. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #6,370 of 46,518

Quote:
I know I should wait for a price drop but I'm so impatient, I want a pair now, haha.  Endless, that's exactly what I actually am going for, I want to buy the Schiit Bifrost and Asgard with these headphone.  My wife said I have $1,000 to spend in total for this headset setup, of course a little more for tax and shipping.  Mention the Beyerdynamic T1 on sale over at Amazon, but the wife said it's over budget plus if I did get that headphone, there's no money left for amp & dac.  Would be a pair of nice looking useless headphone :frowning2:

You live only once. :] 

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #6,371 of 46,518

You could check out Razordog Deals, I went through ebay, but he also has a site, and got a nice price and he ships out same day. I'd try emailing him, or offering a price on ebay. Ebay would probably be quicker.
Quote:
Hi all, new to the forum and to the hobby.  Been having the urge to buy a nice set of headphone.  Tonight, I'm in the process of ordering the Sennheiser HD650 once I can decide which place will get to me fastest.  Seems every websites that I have visited and even Amazon, these are listed at $499.  I have the money but would be nice if it was cheaper, more money towards a DAC/Amp.  Just wanted to chime in, pretty soon I'll own a pair of these babies.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #6,372 of 46,518

Quote:

Send a e-mail to Razordog deals, they are lightning fast during business hours from my experience.  Seriously, within a few minutes I got a response.  Ask him if he can do a better price for a head-fi member.

Once you get that out of the way I'd recommend a DAC/Amp all in one solution to stick in the budget.  Something like the Asus Essonce One, Pico DAC/Amp, Apogee Duet, Apogee MiniDac, etc. or comparable.  Most Dac/Amp combos you can upgrade with an amp later on.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #6,374 of 46,518

I would highly recommend the audio gd NFB-12.  Best value amp/DAC combo in my opinion
Quote:

Send a e-mail to Razordog deals, they are lightning fast during business hours from my experience.  Seriously, within a few minutes I got a response.  Ask him if he can do a better price for a head-fi member.

Once you get that out of the way I'd recommend a DAC/Amp all in one solution to stick in the budget.  Something like the Asus Essonce One, Pico DAC/Amp, Apogee Duet, Apogee MiniDac, etc. or comparable.  Most Dac/Amp combos you can upgrade with an amp later on.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #6,375 of 46,518

Quote:

$1000 is a horrible number. $1500 will make your life so much easier. Tell her to up it to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back