Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #5,851 of 46,518
Thanks. I'll have to look for some soon.

Quote:
The fabled Lorenz Stuttgart tubes at the moment, although I really like Amperex A-frames for the HD650. Amperex Bugle Boys don't image as well as the Stuttgarts, probably not as airy, but the overall signature is close. They're easy to come by and are much cheaper too (just be wary of fakes).

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #5,852 of 46,518

Quote:
I have no reference point to compare these amps. I figured i'd ask in this thread instead of starting a new one. Do any one of these stick out as a good fit for the 650s, especially for the price/features (sorry, i tend to be a little long-winded)

One more vote for the crack here.  It pairs beautifully with the HD650's, as well as the HD800's (if you ever decide to upgrade).  I've been to CanJam, made the rounds, and to my ears, when driving high impedance cans, the speedball crack (with the right nos tubes) holds its own against all but a few TOTL options.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #5,854 of 46,518

Quote:
One more vote for the crack here.  It pairs beautifully with the HD650's, as well as the HD800's (if you ever decide to upgrade).  I've been to CanJam, made the rounds, and to my ears, when driving high impedance cans, the crack holds its own against all but a few TOTL options.

Another vote for HD650's and Crack.  Using Tung Sol 5998 and a wide variety of different 12AU7 and one 12BH7 tubes in the front - all sounded pretty good to me.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5,855 of 46,518

Quote:
Im still  waiting for some Valvo 6922 red label from Germany.  Using stock GE tubes that came with Lyr.

Don't be too hasty in writing off the Lyr/HD650 pairing. People did that when the Lyr first came out. If all I heard were the stock tubes (JJ's at the time) or the ones raved about early on I'd also rubbish the Lyr. It seems only now that others are voicing their positive findings with this combo.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #5,856 of 46,518

Quote:

The ADA4627-1BRZ is the best sounding opamp I've heard (and I've tried LOTS) for the HD650.

A good tube amp would be a nice pairing with the HD650, but YMMV. After having the Crack and the FUN for a while, I realized that the FUN is a little more detailed and I wonder how a better SS amp would sound.

Quote:
I've been using a pari of HD650's with an Audi-gd Fun for about a year now with no complains. I'm looking at modifying the Audio-gd to see what differences there would be, anyone recommend some mods/OP-Amps that fare well with the fun?

Also, what would the next upgrade path be after that above setup?

Yep, ADA4627-1BRZ is a good match for the HD650. I miss the Fun.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #5,857 of 46,518

Quote:
Don't be too hasty in writing off the Lyr/HD650 pairing. People did that when the Lyr first came out. If all I heard were the stock tubes (JJ's at the time) or the ones raved about early on I'd also rubbish the Lyr. It seems only now that others are voicing their positive findings with this combo.

What I really want is an amp that can drive both the LCD-2 and HD650 perfectly.  I like the Lyr with the LCD but hate it with the 650.  I really miss the Crack/650 combo but I sold the Crack.  I have a April Music Eximus DP-1 coming in 2 weeks and if that can make these two cans sing I might sell the Lyr but who knows maybe some tube rolling and I might keep it just for pairing with LCD.  For me the HD650 is more enjoyable with tubes.  I have tried Matrix and some Musiland and still doesnt some sound as good as with tubes. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #5,859 of 46,518
HD 650 appreciation!

This is a headphone that feels like wiping your a** with silk :)

It more fun that what I was hoping for. It is very versatile HP. I used to own AKG K601. It was very smooth, detailed and spacious (sound) but was also rather thin sounding to my taste. This one is just right. It is amazing what EQ can do with it. From flat neutral (well still a bit on the warm side) to sub-woofer bass and extended highs. Little bit slower but it allows me to feel the sound a lot better than AKG K601.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #5,861 of 46,518
popcorn.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #5,862 of 46,518
I just started listening to my 650's that i got today and they sound so awesome, the kick drum in metal/rock music sounds so deep and real.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #5,864 of 46,518
Anyone with a Bottlehead Crack still have the assembly instructions and parts list they can post or email me?

Ben - no harm in asking, but the guys at bottlehead have graciously asked in the past that people not post or distrubute the schematics or build info (even on their own forums).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #5,865 of 46,518
Ha well yea I'm sure they have, there's probably $60 in components without even a PCB in the kit they're selling and just raised the price to almost $300. I was just wondering if anyone out there was hooking others up. But I understand if everyone wants to remain "loyal", I was just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back