Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #5,688 of 46,499

Quote:
Does anyone else find their HD650's bright? I find them actually bright with Little Dot Mk5 amplifier and Asus Xonar ST soundcard.   I find highs to be on the edge of sibilance in most songs, and I find the highs dominating the sonic signature of almost all the songs I listen to...bass is there, but not forward, just in there, mids are natural, but highs are what dominates. And I don't think its my ears or the recordings, because I find HD558's MUCH darker than HD650's in same setup.  The mid-bass bump in frequency still gives HD650's a warm and sort of "veiled" sound, but highs for me just pop out.   I mostly listen to jazz and rock.

Emphasized highs to the point of almost being sibilant?  You sure you have a HD650 and not a HD600?
wink.gif
  Maybe, the assembly factory incorrectly colored and named your pair.
tongue_smile.gif

It is strange that your pair sounds brighter than your HD558 in that setup.  The HD558 while a bit dark itself, is supposed to be brighter than the HD650.  How long have you had your pair?

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #5,689 of 46,499
I got my HD650's not long ago but today I wanted to try without the foam. I just put a piece of my girlfriend's pantyhose instead. 

So far I like it better this way but I'll see down the road. If I decide to switch back it takes a minute so that really isn't an issue. 

I never really listened to guitar a lot but wow did Tommy Emmanuel sound incredible. Everything seems a little bit more detailed, female vocals are amazing. 

(Maybe it's all in my head...)

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #5,690 of 46,499
Send me a piece of your gf's pantyhose, I will check for you :wink:.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #5,695 of 46,499

Quote:
That is quite expensive, I got them for EUR 280, which was about $400 at the time. And that's with a 19% sales tax.

19 percent?!
eek.gif
  Wow, how do you Europeans manage to still buy stuff?  Yikes.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #5,697 of 46,499

Quote:
19 percent?!
eek.gif
  Wow, how do you Europeans manage to still buy stuff?  Yikes.

VAT is 20% in the UK and 22% in some countries - 19% is rather low.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #5,700 of 46,499

Quote:
Emphasized highs to the point of almost being sibilant?  You sure you have a HD650 and not a HD600?
wink.gif
  Maybe, the assembly factory incorrectly colored and named your pair.
tongue_smile.gif

It is strange that your pair sounds brighter than your HD558 in that setup.  The HD558 while a bit dark itself, is supposed to be brighter than the HD650.  How long have you had your pair?

Yes, emphasized highs, much more so than on HD558's.  HD558's have slightly more forward mids, but highs are on HD650's are much more emphasized, much crisper and cleaner.

They have around 300 hours on them, so its not because they're new or not burned in, but I definitely find them fatiguing.  The thing is,  mids are slightly recessed IMHO, and in order to get some punch and energy from the bass, I need to crank them up much louder than HD558's.  I can listen to 558's on any volume and they will sound nice, while HD650's will sound nice only when they're cranked up pretty loud, and then highs gets almost piercing and sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back