Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #5,611 of 46,499

i swear 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
Wait, for real?

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #5,612 of 46,499
I have to say I really didn't like my HD650's when I first got them but I have a 30 day return with Amazon so I've held on to them.  Now after a few weeks and hooked to my 3 channel starving student with a gamma 2 I finally think they are awesome!  I still don't like them with my B22 compared to my D5000s (I love the D5000s with about anything) I can't understand why a DIY amp sounds great with them compared to the B22 but I'm not complaining, must be synergy.

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #5,615 of 46,499
Nice, that's exactly what I told someone should work a few pages back :D. I didn't even know for sure, but it's good to hear now that it works.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #5,617 of 46,499
A lot of people here say it is too "slow" and "muddy" for metal. I don't know what kind of metal you're listening to but when I listened to Fear Of The Dark and Hallowed Be Thy Name some minutes ago with my 650s it sounded very very good.

However, I think it coulb be a bit more clear and there could be a little more energy in the trebble. 

But some guys here recommend kinda V-shaped phones here like DT990 for metal. I would not reccomend that because imo metal is often based on twin guitars or guitars in general. So you should get a phone with great mids. Love the 650s Mids ;D

greez

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #5,618 of 46,499
I love my DT990 for metal. People act like the mids are super recessed when they really aren't. It sounds more like the bass and treble are boosted, the mids aren't muddied at all either. At least in my experience with them.

Quote:
A lot of people here say it is too "slow" and "muddy" for metal. I don't know what kind of metal you're listening to but when I listened to Fear Of The Dark and Hallowed Be Thy Name some minutes ago with my 650s it sounded very very good.

However, I think it coulb be a bit more clear and there could be a little more energy in the trebble. 

But some guys here recommend kinda V-shaped phones here like DT990 for metal. I would not reccomend that because imo metal is often based on twin guitars or guitars in general. So you should get a phone with great mids. Love the 650s Mids ;D

greez

On topic: I think the HD650s might be getting me into jazz. I listened to Kind of Blue and it sounded waaay more engaging than I have ever remembered it being. Less boring too.. 
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #5,619 of 46,499
Well, if you listen to slow and muddy metal, than the 650 is pretty cool. ^^ (Talking like, Sunn O))) slow and muddy here.)

Quote:
I was wondering how the HD600/650 would handle metal, things like Doom/Sludge, and the double kicks. It would more than likely be paired with E7/E9

Quote:

greez

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #5,622 of 46,499

Quote:
Just got my Schiit Lyr to match my 650's. I am very happy with my purchase.

Now I need a proper DAC...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
smile.gif
For the HD650s, I'd recommend the GE or Sylvania 6BZ7 tubes that I included. The Schiit Bifrost looks like a real winner for a DAC to match.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #5,623 of 46,499
x2 on the Bifrost recommendation. I'm listening to this combo at the moment and 2 days in I haven't heard any glaring flaws. It's not the be all, there are deficiencies in lower bass weight and presentation compared to the NFB-10SE (particularly apparent through the LCD-2), but this may actually be a good thing for the HD650. It leans more towards mid bass punch than lower end flab.

I find the upper mids and treble section smooth and well extended. Details in upper regions are highlighted, but not to the point of exaggeration, and there are no hard edges to introduce listening fatigue. It's not the thin, cold and overly clinical dac I was expecting when reading between the lines of pre burn in impressions. I feel it's a "musical" sounding component, with the zest coming from nicely accentuated handclaps, snappy snares, guitar strums, vocal detail etc rather than explosive dynamics and bombastic low end rhythm.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #5,625 of 46,499

Quote:
I'm still trying to toss up between the D2000, DT880/600, HD650/HD600, and FA-002 (woodied)
I wish I could hear these before purchasing.

Well, you seem to have come to the place that will try to convince you to go for the HD650!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back