Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #4,846 of 46,499
After trying several headphones I've finally settled on HD-650s as the best all round.  I've not tried the new crop of planer earphones . . .  but IMO, the HD-650s with Stephan AudioArt upgrade cable do everything this I ask them to. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #4,847 of 46,499

Quote:

Not sure, but isn't the M-Stage fairly dark? I don't know where I read that, but it's probably not true. Seems like it's always mentioned as being very good for the K702.
Have you considered the Asgard? For $250 it's a pretty good match, but mine didn't do very well with my K702, so I switched to the Headroom Micro Amp.

isn't headroom micro amp extremely expensive?

i have considered asgard, and comparing with m-stage matrix, i think i prefered m-stage

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4,848 of 46,499

Quote:
isn't headroom micro amp extremely expensive?

i have considered asgard, and comparing with m-stage matrix, i think i prefered m-stage

The Micro Amp costs a little more ($350), but I don't mind and felt it was worth it (I did the 30 day trial). The thing is built like a tank and it drove my HD-650 and K601/K702 much better than the Asgard could. Asgard won't even drive any 600 ohm headphones very well, but I didn't expect it to! Asgard is good though. HD-600 sounds amazing with it. Supposedly Schiit made the Asgard sound better with the K702, but I don't know. I didn't like that combination at all.

Also, as a nice bonus of the Micro Amp is you get morons trying to tell you you're driving all your headphones from a tiny portable amp!

I think for the Micro Amp you do pay a little more for the build quality, super small size and that it's made in the USA. This thing is half the size of the E9!!

I think the only headphones I don't like with it are the Sextett and DJ100 (amp overkill). Drives all my AKG headphones with ease (yes, and they sound good!).

One reason I got the Micro Amp is that I'm a huge fan of the Total Airhead. That was my first decent amp.

Someday I'll try the M-Stage and compare it to my Micro Amp. Who knows, I might like it even more.

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #4,849 of 46,499

Quote:
The Micro Amp costs a little more ($350), but I don't mind and felt it was worth it (I did the 30 day trial). The thing is built like a tank and it drove my HD-650 and K601/K702 much better than the Asgard could. Asgard won't even drive any 600 ohm headphones very well, but I didn't expect it to! Asgard is good though. HD-600 sounds amazing with it. Supposedly Schiit made the Asgard sound better with the K702, but I don't know. I didn't like that combination at all.

Also, as a nice bonus of the Micro Amp is you get morons trying to tell you you're driving all your headphones from a tiny portable amp!

I think for the Micro Amp you do pay a little more for the build quality, super small size and that it's made in the USA. This thing is half the size of the E9!!

I think the only headphones I don't like with it are the Sextett and DJ100 (amp overkill). Drives all my AKG headphones with ease (yes, and they sound good!).

One reason I got the Micro Amp is that I'm a huge fan of the Total Airhead. That was my first decent amp.

Someday I'll try the M-Stage and compare it to my Micro Amp. Who knows, I might like it even more.

is every headroom product good? generally.

i will do some research about it. thanks for mentioning it

Nov 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #4,850 of 46,499

Quote:
is every headroom product good? generally.

i will do some research about it. thanks for mentioning it

From my experience I'm a fan of headroom. I recently upgraded from my fiio e7/e9 to a headroom desktop amp + power supply for roughly a grand. Was it worth the upgrade? With the hd650s, you betcha. With my pro 900s though I can barely hear a difference.

Overall their products are a little expensive, but with that expense you get fantastic build quality, unbelievable support, a 30 day trial money back guarantee, and that warm fuzzy feeling of supporting an American business that's just doing things right. I had actually originally ordered the micor dac & amp combo but decided to cancel it and go for the desktop.

My 2cents.

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #4,851 of 46,499

Quote:

From my experience I'm a fan of headroom. I recently upgraded from my fiio e7/e9 to a headroom desktop amp + power supply for roughly a grand. Was it worth the upgrade? With the hd650s, you betcha. With my pro 900s though I can barely hear a difference.

Overall their products are a little expensive, but with that expense you get fantastic build quality, unbelievable support, a 30 day trial money back guarantee, and that warm fuzzy feeling of supporting an American business that's just doing things right. I had actually originally ordered the micor dac & amp combo but decided to cancel it and go for the desktop.

My 2cents.

lol
i don't live in america.

but i am still mainly considering m-stage matrix with HD650,
or ambitiously, trying to find a 2nd hand Burson 160 for around 375USD

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #4,852 of 46,499
Another Micro Amp owner here--I love the little thing, and this coming from someone who has a Phonitor. Headroom's products, and especially their service, are just really, really hard to beat. The Micro Amp was the first amp I paired my K701 with, and it was a match made in heaven. Can't believe how much goodness they packed into such a small form factor. 

Quote:

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #4,854 of 46,499

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Burson 160 with HD-650s?  I've read a couple reviews of the Burson, but I tend to trust Head Fi-ers more :)

Mike has some very good and trustworthy reviews. His review of the HD-1670 can be found here: http://www.headfonia.com/burson-ha-160-review-vs-ambs-beta22/2/

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #4,855 of 46,499

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Burson 160 with HD-650s?  I've read a couple reviews of the Burson, but I tend to trust Head Fi-ers more :)

I meant to say I've read a couple of "professional" reviews of the Burson.  Ever since Sam Tellig at Stereophile called the k 701 the best headphone he's ever listen to I've read professional reviews of headphones with a grain of salt. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4,856 of 46,499

Quote:
I have hd650 for almost a year now and must say - it's the best headphones for classical music I've ever had. Detailed sound, rich mids, decent soundstage and instrument separation.

It's a bit bright for metal and that's why I almost stopped listening to this sort of music. But maybe I'm just hyper sensitive to treble (that horrible screech the trains of Boston's Green Line make - arghhhhh!).

I second the opinion above.  HD 650s are great for classical music.  The rich mid range is great, sound staging is very good, and the bass is resonant.  HD 650 pairs very well with a powerful tube amp.  

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #4,857 of 46,499
> It's a bit bright for metal and that's why I almost stopped listening to this sort of music

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my HD650 with a few people talking about brightness. Or maybe the NFB12 + HD650 somehow kills treble.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,858 of 46,499

Quote:
> It's a bit bright for metal and that's why I almost stopped listening to this sort of music

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my HD650 with a few people talking about brightness. Or maybe the NFB12 + HD650 somehow kills treble.

The HD650 has never been a bright headphone. And if they think the HD650 is bright, they need to listen to the HD600.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #4,859 of 46,499

Quote:
The HD650 has never been a bright headphone. And if they think the HD650 is bright, they need to listen to the HD600.

I'd hate to see what they think of the HD-598 if they think the HD-650 is too bright!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back