Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #4,877 of 46,535
Anyone has tried this cable from Oyaida?

HPC-62HD http://www.oyaide.com/audio/audio-products/cn88/HD.html

Oyaida's 23AWG PCOCC-A cable with PCOCC-A shield, use Silver/Rhodium plated TRS plug and Cardas's Senn connectors.
-----
I'm using DIY Siltech cable right now, but they're quite stiff and uncomfortable if I move.

I've tried SilverDragon Zu Cardas, nice cables but stiff so I didn't keep them.

I'm still looking for soft flexible as HD650's original cable and with better sound, Oyaida's cable look that I needs.

or any other choice?

Thanks!

Pal

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #4,878 of 46,535
I continue to appreciate how non-fatiguing these cans are, albeit very detailed and fun.  

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #4,880 of 46,535

Quote:
I continue to appreciate how non-fatiguing these cans are, albeit very detailed and fun.  

Quote:
Still enjoying mine after years of use, Tried loads of other but I always end up back with my 650's

theyre by no means perfect but to me, they do so much right.  comfort, sound quality, and scaling with gear. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #4,881 of 46,535
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried one of these cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-HD580-HD600-HD650-XLR-VER-/320590860004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa4b44ee4

I'll be getting a nfb-10se to power my new 650s, and was looking for a balanced cable that doesn't break the bank :D

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #4,882 of 46,535
Does anyone know if the HD650 pairs well with the Yulong D100 as an amp? I'm still perplexed at how a $220 SRH940 can beat the HD650 so badly in treble and mids, I'm starting to think my NFB-12's amp must be lacking something when it comes to driving the HD650 treble. There was one review about the NFB12 lacking detail, so that might be it... maybe.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #4,883 of 46,535

Quote:
Does anyone know if the HD650 pairs well with the Yulong D100 as an amp? I'm still perplexed at how a $220 SRH940 can beat the HD650 so badly in treble and mids, I'm starting to think my NFB-12's amp must be lacking something when it comes to driving the HD650 treble. There was one review about the NFB12 lacking detail, so that might be it... maybe.

The neutral and highly transparent D100 would likely be a good match for the HD650.  I found the NFB-12 a bit too smooth and rolled off at the top, which is probably why you're not quite enjoying your HD650 with it.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #4,885 of 46,535
Looks pretty decent.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried one of these cables?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-HD580-HD600-HD650-XLR-VER-/320590860004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa4b44ee4

I'll be getting a nfb-10se to power my new 650s, and was looking for a balanced cable that doesn't break the bank :D

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #4,886 of 46,535
Thinking of selling one of mine. Shoot me a pm if interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571207/fs-flawless-hd-650-extras

It's Blue and Silver Dragon v3's ~

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #4,887 of 46,535
Anyone tried silver plated copper wire with the HD-650? I really like the SXC from ALO for my Q701, despite the internal wires still being there. I'm just borrowing it though, but going to get one made in a trade maybe.
Any cheap sources for silver plated copper? Going to recable my DJ100 with it too
biggrin.gif
The ALO stuff is around $110 for 4 strands of 6" in bulk. Kind of high, but right now I don't care.

Think I like it even more than Mogami and it seems just as neutral. Very surprised how it didn't make the Q702 any more fatiguing.

Here's something interesting.. I can't tell the difference between Mogami and Canare with the K702 due to the internal wires still being there. For headphones that have a direct connection to the driver, it's stupid easy. With the silver plated copper I definitely noticed a difference. Strange. Wonder why?

Since I've upgraded my DAC, I'm tempted to try the HD-650 again. I just have a feeling the HRT Music Streamer II might be a bad match, but couldn't hurt to try.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #4,888 of 46,535
Just floating this out there for the skilled diy cable makers like tdockweiler - any chance one of you would contemplate making a jerry-rigged interconnect with a mini-jack at one end and inverse sennhesier connectors at the other?  I'm picturing something along the lines of four mini allegator clips that could latch onto the pins in the sennheiser connectors

This would allow someone to run amp -> diy headphone cables -> custom interconnect -> pc input -> diffmaker.  (http://www.libinst.com/Audio%20DiffMaker.htm )  

It seems to me like this would finally provide some conclusive evidence, one way or the other, as to whether or not replacement cables actually make a true audible difference - or whether the whole market is being driven by confirmation/post-purchase justification bias.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4,889 of 46,535

Quote:
Anyone tried silver plated copper wire with the HD-650? I really like the SXC from ALO for my Q701, despite the internal wires still being there. I'm just borrowing it though, but going to get one made in a trade maybe.
Any cheap sources for silver plated copper? Going to recable my DJ100 with it too
biggrin.gif
The ALO stuff is around $110 for 4 strands of 6" in bulk. Kind of high, but right now I don't care.

Think I like it even more than Mogami and it seems just as neutral. Very surprised how it didn't make the Q702 any more fatiguing.

Here's something interesting.. I can't tell the difference between Mogami and Canare with the K702 due to the internal wires still being there. For headphones that have a direct connection to the driver, it's stupid easy. With the silver plated copper I definitely noticed a difference. Strange. Wonder why?

Since I've upgraded my DAC, I'm tempted to try the HD-650 again. I just have a feeling the HRT Music Streamer II might be a bad match, but couldn't hurt to try.

Try navships on ebay, he sells SPC for pretty cheap and has all sizes you want. I built a cable out of them and they sound quite good. Just bought a 2nd hand Zu Mobius and waiting for that to return through because I wanted to extract a little bit more detail from them. I figured buying a silver cable may be the better route since the wire is already so expensive.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #4,890 of 46,535
I've recently purchased them, and whilst browsing for amps and dacs as I've yet to decide, I decided to give the HD650 a run without them on the laptop. And I would say it sounds ... normal. Doesn't come as a day and night difference compared to the Koss PortaPro that I use. I'm hoping the disappointment will go away with the DAC / AMP purchase and make me feel like it was a worthy investment, since I listen to music alot via laptop.

Or maybe I need to try and pay more attention when comparing, if default HD650 are supposedly something special in themselves alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back