Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #4,096 of 46,565

Quote:
Would it be a waste of money for me if I was to buy these headphones for watching movies louder in my apartment so I can enjoy it better and for listening to other types of music such as rock, hip-hop, R&B, some Jazz and club music? I do not listen to classical music yet. So I want to make sure I purchase the right set of headphones.

I think it depends on what you have in mind when you say you want to listen to music louder. Do you mean you want to listen to music loudly without people hearing it around you? Then the answer would be no, because being open headphones, very loud volumes make them sound like a quiet-ish speaker system to people nearby. 

If you mean can they play music loudly and clearly. The answer is yes, IF you have a headphone amp. My computer can't drive them super loudly on some songs due to their high impedance, but of course with a headphone amp you should be able to go louder than would be healthy (at least that's the case for my dac/amp).

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #4,097 of 46,565

Quote:
Some may disagree, but I haven't found the thing HD-650s can't do. I can go straight from the Shatter OST (electronica) to Opeth to a string quartet to Netflix with the HD-650s and not be disappointed.

Yep, I'm with you on that one. I can appreciate big orchestral peices one moment and then be in the same room as Slav Richter's piano the next. There seems to be no music that they don't reproduce well IMO. From Al Johnson to Aphex twin and everything in between!     

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #4,099 of 46,565

Quote:
Would it be a waste of money for me if I was to buy these headphones for watching movies louder in my apartment so I can enjoy it better and for listening to other types of music such as rock, hip-hop, R&B, some Jazz and club music? I do not listen to classical music yet. So I want to make sure I purchase the right set of headphones.

I still have a feeling that you would be just as happy (if not more happy) with the HD598 unamped straight from your receiver. I was very happy when I tried them that way. Plus, you'll spend $180 instead of $600 ($350 HD650 + $250 amp).

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #4,100 of 46,565

Quote:
I think it depends on what you have in mind when you say you want to listen to music louder. Do you mean you want to listen to music loudly without people hearing it around you? Then the answer would be no, because being open headphones, very loud volumes make them sound like a quiet-ish speaker system to people nearby. 

If you mean can they play music loudly and clearly. The answer is yes, IF you have a headphone amp. My computer can't drive them super loudly on some songs due to their high impedance, but of course with a headphone amp you should be able to go louder than would be healthy (at least that's the case for my dac/amp).

Hi. I actually said that I want to listen to movies louder, not necessarily music. I am more of a movie buff, so when I am alone late at night watching a movie I want to be able to enjoy it more. I live alone so I am not worried about anyone being around me.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #4,101 of 46,565

Quote:
Yep, I'm with you on that one. I can appreciate big orchestral peices one moment and then be in the same room as Slav Richter's piano the next. There seems to be no music that they don't reproduce well IMO. From Al Johnson to Aphex twin and everything in between!     

Sounds good to me. I am like that also. I listen to all types of music now. I am not limited to one genre. My problem is that I need a noise cancelling headphone and I need headphone so I can appreciate what I am listening as well as the movie I will be watching. I guess I am going to have to get both. But which one should I get first?

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #4,102 of 46,565

Quote:
I still have a feeling that you would be just as happy (if not more happy) with the HD598 unamped straight from your receiver. I was very happy when I tried them that way. Plus, you'll spend $180 instead of $600 ($350 HD650 + $250 amp).

Oh is that right? **** decisions decision. Do the HD598s have good bass response? I don't mind getting an amp. I just want quality.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #4,104 of 46,565

Quote:
Hi. I actually said that I want to listen to movies louder, not necessarily music. I am more of a movie buff, so when I am alone late at night watching a movie I want to be able to enjoy it more. I live alone so I am not worried about anyone being around me.

Well it's pretty much the same thing (movie sound vs. music sound) in terms of the headphone's ability to put out loud sound :).

As to movies, I used my HD 650 to play a few minutes of a Blu-ray movie I have, and it sounded great (as you'd expect). At the same volume as those usually overly-loud movie theaters, it sounds just as loud and way better (movie theater bass is so muddy and rumbly/blurry).

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #4,105 of 46,565
     Quote:
...I don't recall noting significant changes with my HD650 with burn in. I don't doubt though that wear on the pads would result in my HD650 sounding slightly different to one straight out of the box. Just use them at safe levels and enjoy the music. If they sound better over time, whether due to physical or mental burn in, then it's a bonus.

Agreed.  Very well said!

Quote:
In fact, it's kept the HD-800 off my can investment radar since they're more like... AKG K701s on massive steroids 

I really like my HD650's, but I love my HD800's.  With or without steroids, I can't say that I hear any real resemblance between them and the lean sounding K701's (which I don't care for at all).  Rather, to my ears, the HD800's definitely carry on the Sennheiser house sound (accurate and textured timbre, full sometimes lush mids, and solid but not bloated bass), while adding a bit of treble energy (although not nearly as much as say DT880's), a much bigger and better sound stage and more speed and detail than the 650's due to the ring drivers.  

I know there are a handful of highly prolific posters on HF who regularly rage about the 6khz "peak" 800's (which really only impacts overtones), but at the end of the day, I think they simply represent disproportionately vocal minority of listeners.  I expect most HD650 fans do/will/would really enjoy the 800's.  I continue to thoroughly enjoy both of these headphones, which are, in my opinion, the best dynamics at their respective price points.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #4,107 of 46,565
I currently own the Firestone Fubar IV AMP/Dac. How do people rate this for HD650? I know that obviously more expensive amp/dac is more likely to give it a better sound, and I know that diminishing return factors in etc. But does this amp/dac help show a lot of HD650's potential, or is it better to upgrade this ?

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #4,110 of 46,565
Gosh..having good-quality audio equipment is such a double-edged sword. I've had my HD 650's with the headroom desktop amp for a few weeks now. I'm loving some of music but hating some of the others. I even started re-ripping my albums into flac, and I can which ones are poorly-mastered.

Also, is it just me or has this thread blown up in the past few weeks? Maybe it's just because I'm paying more attention to it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back