Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #4,066 of 46,565
Code:
best amp for hd 650 between matrix m stage and asgard/valhalla? or whats the best recommendation up to the valhalla's price range
I'm coming from an E7 E9 combo.

The Matrix and Schiit are both analog input only.

What about the NuForce Icon HD? It's designed for computer listening (USB input), is an amp and DAC combined, and has a nice form factor. It's a quality piece from an American company (with an excellent return policy if you don't like it).

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #4,067 of 46,565

Quote:

I've been lurking around this site for a while and found that the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball is one of the best amps for the HD650. The kit is around $320. I'm saving up to make it mine.

It is also is ranked above the Valhalla by Skylab in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/402585/review-summary-a-ranking-of-32-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps. YMMV.

The Bottlehead needs to be built, so not really an option for me.
Quote:
Code:
Code:

The Matrix and Schiit are both analog input only.

What about the NuForce Icon HD? It's designed for computer listening (USB input), is an amp and DAC combined, and has a nice form factor. It's a quality piece from an American company (with an excellent return policy if you don't like it).

Would this be that much better than an e7 e9 combo?

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #4,069 of 46,565

Quote:

The Bottlehead needs to be built, so not really an option for me.

Would this be that much better than an e7 e9 combo?

I've never heard the E7/E9 combo. I suspect that the differences between a $200 DAC/amp combo (E7/E9) and a $350 DAC/amp combo (Icon HD) will be subtle. Some may hear the difference, others maybe not.

NuForce has excellent customer service. Why don't you do like I did - order one and if it's not what you're looking for, return it?

Schiit also has excellent customer service and 15 day return policy. Matrix - made and shipped from China? I'd be more careful...

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #4,070 of 46,565

Quote:
I've never heard the E7/E9 combo. I suspect that the differences between a $200 DAC/amp combo (E7/E9) and a $350 DAC/amp combo (Icon HD) will be subtle. Some may hear the difference, others maybe not.

NuForce has excellent customer service. Why don't you do like I did - order one and if it's not what you're looking for, return it?

Schiit also has excellent customer service and 15 day return policy. Matrix - made and shipped from China? I'd be more careful...

I love the abilities of the Nuforce Icon HD/HDP. Is there a DAC amp with similar flexibilty of inputs that has outstanding performance with the HD 650?

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #4,071 of 46,565
I love the abilities of the Nuforce Icon HD/HDP. Is there a DAC amp with similar flexibilty of inputs that has outstanding performance with the HD 650?

Based on my time spent with the NuForce, I think you would have to be extremely picky and "golden-eared" to want better.

I thought the combo (NuForce/650) sounded very good. If I didn't personally need analog inputs, I would have kept it.

Aug 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #4,072 of 46,565

Quote:
I've been lurking around this site for a while and found that the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball is one of the best amps for the HD650. The kit is around $320. I'm saving up to make it mine.

I think you're really going to love it aroldan!  I am one of many who thinks that the crack really delivers the best the 650's have to offer, and in my view, you are going to get 95% of the sonic benefits straight out of the stock ($220) kit.  

The speedball is a worthwhile upgrade when you have the cash (and an interesting build).  It tightens the bass up a bit, lowers the noise floor, and allows you to run 12bh7a tubes up front, but the improvements are fairly subtle on the whole.  To my ears, rolling tubes has a more obvious impact on the sound.  (FWIW - RCA 12au7 cleartops can easily be found for $10-15 on ebay, and play very nicely with the 650's in this amp.)

In any event, I'd recommend building it stock first and adding the speedball later.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #4,073 of 46,565
I heard the Bottlehead crack in a past Seattle meet, it was indeed a very fine amp and sounded really good with HD600 setup. The DAC was another DIY kit that Doc B built I think and it was playing through Amarra. I imagine it would also sound great with HD650. If I was starting off on my headphone journey, I think I would have went with the Bottlehead amps as my first tube amp.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #4,074 of 46,565
I have a dumb question.

I really want the HD650 for music and movies to avoid the neighbors from calling police, but I also would like the Bose QC15 for when I am mobile and just general noise blockage inside and outside. Is there a huge sound comparison with the HF650 and the Bose QC15? I cannot get both now, so its either one or the other.  What do you guy suggest. Try not to flame me too much since I am a noob here. Thank you.

Oh yea and why do they call headphones "CANS"

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #4,076 of 46,565

Quote:
I have a dumb question.

I really want the HD650 for music and movies to avoid the neighbors from calling police, but I also would like the Bose QC15 for when I am mobile and just general noise blockage inside and outside. Is there a huge sound comparison with the HF650 and the Bose QC15? I cannot get both now, so its either one or the other.  What do you guy suggest. Try not to flame me too much since I am a noob here. Thank you.

Oh yea and why do they call headphones "CANS"

There called cans because they look like cans.. I think?

Yeah there will be a big sound quality diffrence between the 650's and well.. pretty much any Bose headphone. Also, there are a lot more cheaper options out there now for noise cancelling and portability, no need to rely on rip off merchants such as Bose anymore! Theres a few threads on here for such headphones.  

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #4,077 of 46,565
I really appreciate your advice. I will buy the stock kit first! I have several 12AU7 tubes (RCA cleartop, blackplates, Mullards, among others) as I used to own a Bravo V2. I doubt I can wait so much longer now 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
     Quote:

I think you're really going to love it aroldan!  I am one of many who thinks that the crack really delivers the best the 650's have to offer, and in my view, you are going to get 95% of the sonic benefits straight out of the stock ($220) kit.  

The speedball is a worthwhile upgrade when you have the cash (and an interesting build).  It tightens the bass up a bit, lowers the noise floor, and allows you to run 12bh7a tubes up front, but the improvements are fairly subtle on the whole.  To my ears, rolling tubes has a more obvious impact on the sound.  (FWIW - RCA 12au7 cleartops can easily be found for $10-15 on ebay, and play very nicely with the 650's in this amp.)

In any event, I'd recommend building it stock first and adding the speedball later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back