Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #3,226 of 46,499

Quote:
I am in the can't wait till they get here mode. Just picked up a set from JRs for $329. This forum is costing me a fortune now what amp would pair nicely with these in the 500-1200 range? Thanks

I just received my Lyr and although I've not spent enough time with it to impart more detailed impressions (I also only have the stock tubes in place), it's clear this amp presents great bang for buck. It's solid, much smaller than anticipated and has great aesthetics.

Initial findings are that it responds very well to changes up the chain. With the upper limit of your range, you should be able to budget for a very good dac.

I agree that synergy is key with these cans. If you can put together a setup you're mostly happy with, an aftermarket cable will provide a subtle but worthwhile refinement.

May 13, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #3,227 of 46,499

Quote:
I am in the can't wait till they get here mode. Just picked up a set from JRs for $329. This forum is costing me a fortune now what amp would pair nicely with these in the 500-1200 range? Thanks

First of all, congrats! That's a great price.

I'd shoot for an M^3 or Dynalo (Gilmore Lite/GS-1) in that price range. You could even find a 2 or 3 channel Beta22 and stay within that budget.

If you can find a good vintage integrated amp or receiver, those will work wonders too.

May 13, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #3,228 of 46,499

Quote:

Me too! HD650's on their way.. I know what you mean..
Started the year with Grado SR-80i & uDac2 and since January, went to HD600, HD25-1 II, FiiO E7/E9, Black Dragon cable and now the Matrix Mini-i.
I'm sure I'll be selling off stuff to recover some costs. The Grado's are already gone.

May 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #3,229 of 46,499
Just got a HD 650 for $90($55 for drivers with plastic ear cup, cables, ear pads, and $35 for headband) and I have to say these sounds pretty much like a refined version of the HD 535/545/565. The only problem I have is that they sounds very warm; a lot of bass. 

I haven't give them an in-dept listening but so far(~20minutes), they sound like Sennheisers lol, but with more details.

May 14, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #3,232 of 46,499
olorin have u tried comparing the fun's amp to the lyr?

are there any tangible differences?

Quote:
I just received my Lyr and although I've not spent enough time with it to impart more detailed impressions (I also only have the stock tubes in place), it's clear this amp presents great bang for buck. It's solid, much smaller than anticipated and has great aesthetics.

Initial findings are that it responds very well to changes up the chain. With the upper limit of your range, you should be able to budget for a very good dac.

I agree that synergy is key with these cans. If you can put together a setup you're mostly happy with, an aftermarket cable will provide a subtle but worthwhile refinement.

May 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #3,233 of 46,499
I haven't had the Lyr long enough so take this with a huge grain of salt, but the Fun holds up very well versus the Lyr. I only have the stock tubes at the moment and have found (as expected) they aren't as bad as what others have made them out to be. The Lyr doesn't appear as transparent as the Fun's discrete amp section, but it does present a more musical and layered sound, with seemingly better body and slam. It's subtle, and certainly shouldn't be read to indicate the Fun is outclassed. Another way to look at it is that the Fun is closer to a neutral "wire with gain" sound than the Lyr's meaty, but less balanced presentation. No doubt the Lyr would quickly distinguish itself with more demanding cans, though with the HD650, I liken the subtle (at this stage) differences to the slight variation in presentation cables offer. These subtleties are discernable to me, but others already at a given level with the HD650 may not agree that the Lyr is a worthwhile expense.

This may sound like a negative post but l do like the Lyr a lot. I think more than anything, it highlights to me how good the Fun is. I'm certain the Lyr can improve with better tubes, but I still find it very engaging, particularly when tempered by the Earth hdam's neutrality and resolve.

May 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #3,234 of 46,499

Quote:
I haven't had the Lyr long enough so take this with a huge grain of salt, but the Fun holds up very well versus the Lyr. I only have the stock tubes at the moment and have found (as expected) they aren't as bad as what others have made them out to be. The Lyr doesn't appear as transparent as the Fun's discrete amp section, but it does present a more musical and layered sound, with seemingly better body and slam. It's subtle, and certainly shouldn't be read to indicate the Fun is outclassed. Another way to look at it is that the Fun is closer to a neutral "wire with gain" sound than the Lyr's meaty, but less balanced presentation. No doubt the Lyr would quickly distinguish itself with more demanding cans, though with the HD650, I liken the subtle (at this stage) differences to the slight variation in presentation cables offer. These subtleties are discernable to me, but others already at a given level with the HD650 may not agree that the Lyr is a worthwhile expense.

This may sound like a negative post but l do like the Lyr a lot. I think more than anything, it highlights to me how good the Fun is. I'm certain the Lyr can improve with better tubes, but I still find it very engaging, particularly when tempered by the Earth hdam's neutrality and resolve.

Tubes are key in the Lyr the stock JJ's just don't do it justice

May 14, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #3,235 of 46,499

Quote:

Earmax Pro. I find this amp hands down the best match for HD650 (or 600) single ended.

May 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #3,238 of 46,499

Me the HD650s I combine her with the Burson HA160. A lot of sinergia among them.

May 15, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #3,239 of 46,499
Really liking the HD650 through the Lyr. Never felt these cans were bass deficient, but the slam they deliver with this amp is surprising. No doubt those with big ticket headphones and gear will scoff and proclaim it as muddy and flabby, but the sum of the parts I'm hearing through my modest gear is quite something imo.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back