Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #3,257 of 46,535

Quote:
...If you're interested in cables, start out with something CHEAP and just make a Mogami cable (80 cents per foot!). It's quite easy and It will cost you less than $40 (half of it goes to Cardas Connectors). I did this and heard a difference and it was worth every penny.

Are you talking about the Mogami Neglex 2534?  It is their quad 24 awg copper, shielded, mic cable.  
After going through a few stock cables on the HD580 and 600, I tried the heavier duty 650 factory cable on my HD600.  Eventually it wore out too in the same place, one of the earpiece connectors.
I decided to try an aftermarket cable and found them made in the US by stinky1965 on ebay using that Mogami cable.  I used it for awhile with good results on the HD600 and moved it to the HD650 when they were new a couple of months ago.  I haven't compared them to the stock cable on the 650 yet, but liked the aftermarket Mogami cable better on the HD600 compared to the 650 cable.

If nothing else, a more durable aftermarket cable will be a better value compared to replacing with factory cables periodically.

May 16, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #3,258 of 46,535

Quote:
This varies between cables based on my experience. To me, probably less than 5% difference. To MY ears, each wire I've tried made my headphones sound different. For example, on the Canare with the HD-650 I lost treble and got the impression of less sound clarity. It could have been due to the increase in bass. Despite this, it did do a few things better than stock. I don't suggest Canare for the HD-650 at all.

If you're interested in cables, start out with something CHEAP and just make a Mogami cable (80 cents per foot!). It's quite easy and It will cost you less than $40 (half of it goes to Cardas Connectors). I did this and heard a difference and it was worth every penny. I now am curious if the more expensive DHC and Cardas wire will be even an upgrade to the Mogami. I hope so. Even if it's a 3% improvement over the Mogami, than that's good enough for me, but I still have my doubts. I'd make my own cable though with bulk wire. I'm too cheap and would never buy a pre-built cable over $200. If you want to make a Double Helix cable it will cost about $60 for the wire in bulk..so under $90 to DIY. I didn't even know how to solder 2 months ago and doing this saved me some money and it's kind of fun.

For me, the Mogami didn't change the HD-650's signature much at all, just improve what is already there. Felt like there was a clearer sound, more detail and I got the impression of a larger soundstage. Then if you don't feel there is a difference you can just sell off the cable. Some might not hear a difference, but I sure did.  Strangely there was a bigger difference when I put the Mogami on the 598. Not sure why.

I wonder if there's any good cheap wire that's even better than the Mogami that's around the same price. So far I've heard of Belden, Gotham and a few others...don't know much about them. It seems the DIY people only use Canare or Mogami.

BTW that cable in the link has a fair price. You're paying a little for labor obviously, but for many it's worth it. Making it yourself (with the same DHC) would only save you less than $40 probably.

thanks for you feedback
you helped me to clear the matter and I have reached the conclusion that it is not recommended changing the unbalanced stock cable.Completely different  if we talk about balanced cable, for this there are many entusiastic opinions

May 16, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #3,259 of 46,535

Quote:
thanks for you feedback you helped me to clear the matter and I have reached the conclusion that it is not recommended changing the unbalanced stock cable.Completely different  if we talk about balanced cable, for this there are many entusiastic opinions

I don't think that's a wise conclusion. You should hear for yourself.

May 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #3,260 of 46,535
Just converted a TWag cable from IEM connectors to Cardas Sennheiser and replaced my Apuresound V3 (That I love) on my HD-650 with it for a test drive (listen). WoW! very good resolution and fast and tight bass.  listen to the Pulse - Live album and the percussion soundstage was out of this world.So of the song are very fast and the music was just engaging. Loved the HD-650 even better now.

Just sharring my positive experience. BTW the HD-650 was driven by a Nuforce HDP.

Cheers! 
atsmile.gif

May 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #3,261 of 46,535

thanks for you feedback
you helped me to clear the matter and I have reached the conclusion that it is not recommended changing the unbalanced stock cable.Completely different  if we talk about balanced cable, for this there are many entusiastic opinions

This is a great conclusion. Don't get sucked up into cables. Sooner or later you'll get suckered into buying $300 usb cables and power cords.

May 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3,262 of 46,535

Quote:
I don't think that's a wise conclusion. You should hear for yourself.

I agree..and to the OP, it's best to just try them out for yourself. I hope it didn't come across that cables are not worth it. I think if you can DIY and save money, they are. I have not personally tried out any of the more expensive wire like the Cardas or Double Helix cable. There is a good chance they will be a large improvement of my cheap Mogami. Instead of just listening to people who said cables make no difference, I tried them out myself and started out small. I think many people who think $250 cables are "snake oil" are maybe put off by the expensive price tags. I won't go there. At this point I doubt any $300 cable could make as much of a difference to justify it's asking price to ME, but I will try making a DH or Cardas cable sometime and see for myself. Sometimes people don't mind spending a lot of money for minor improvements and I don't see anything wrong with that. $35 for a nice upgrade for a favorite headphone is no big deal.

BTW I can totally understand someone who says cables are a waste of money and they didn't hear a difference. Not everyone can I imagine. If I didn't hear a difference I just wouldn't bother, but I do. I've been using my cheap Mogami cable and there is no way I'd ever want to go back to stock. I think with some brands of bulk wire there could be no improvements or differences, but that's just a guess.

I honestly could never suggest someone to go out and buy a $200+ cable, but I do think they can make a difference. It's up to them if they think the improvements are worth that much. I think many of these pre-built cables have a massive mark-up. Probably 100% markup at least. Many companies who make them will let you try them out.

Again, I'd highly suggest making a Mogami cable if you don't want to spend a lot. $35-$40 for it was worth it for me. Actually probably less than that if you use cheaper parts and only heat shrink tubing. Shipping for me was one of the biggest expenses. Those stupid Cardas connectors were $13.00 plus $8.99 shipping!! I sure wish they were easier to find.

BTW my "less than 5%" guess was with Mogami, which is super cheap..if the more expensive stuff is even a slight improvement to my ears, then I'm sold. In the next few months I'll make another cable. Probably with DH. I have my doubts if it's really worth $60, but that's to be expected I guess...

May 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3,263 of 46,535
I would never go back to stock cable after changing mine.. I suppose it all depends on what you are after with the 650's as the stock is pretty good; natural, balanced and suits it. But I prefer the little more bass prescence and attack that I got.    

May 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #3,264 of 46,535
I would never go back to stock cable after changing mine.. I suppose it all depends on what you are after with the 650's as the stock is pretty good; natural, balanced and suits it. But I prefer the little more bass prescence and attack that I got.    

When I changed out the stock LCD-2 cable to the Norse cable it was like an epiphany it was not a subtle difference it was like WOW and I used to be a cable disbeliever...

Most of my interconnect cables are blue jeans they make some fine cheap quality cables

May 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #3,265 of 46,535
OK so I just got the HD650s today.

The earcups are at an angle in comparison to the headband. Are the earcups supposed to be resting on your head straight with the headband slightly tilting forward, or the headband straight with earcup on your ear a bit tilted?

May 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3,266 of 46,535

Quote:
OK so I just got the HD650s today.

The earcups are at an angle in comparison to the headband. Are the earcups supposed to be resting on your head straight with the headband slightly tilting forward, or the headband straight with earcup on your ear a bit tilted?

Whatever is most comfortable for you, though I wear it with the earcups titled/headband straight.

May 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3,267 of 46,535

Quote:
This varies between cables based on my experience. To me, probably less than 5% difference. To MY ears, each wire I've tried made my headphones sound different. For example, on the Canare with the HD-650 I lost treble and got the impression of less sound clarity. It could have been due to the increase in bass. Despite this, it did do a few things better than stock. I don't suggest Canare for the HD-650 at all.

If you're interested in cables, start out with something CHEAP and just make a Mogami cable (80 cents per foot!). It's quite easy and It will cost you less than $40 (half of it goes to Cardas Connectors). I did this and heard a difference and it was worth every penny. I now am curious if the more expensive DHC and Cardas wire will be even an upgrade to the Mogami. I hope so. Even if it's a 3% improvement over the Mogami, than that's good enough for me, but I still have my doubts. I'd make my own cable though with bulk wire. I'm too cheap and would never buy a pre-built cable over $200. If you want to make a Double Helix cable it will cost about $60 for the wire in bulk..so under $90 to DIY. I didn't even know how to solder 2 months ago and doing this saved me some money and it's kind of fun.

For me, the Mogami didn't change the HD-650's signature much at all, just improve what is already there. Felt like there was a clearer sound, more detail and I got the impression of a larger soundstage. Then if you don't feel there is a difference you can just sell off the cable. Some might not hear a difference, but I sure did.  Strangely there was a bigger difference when I put the Mogami on the 598. Not sure why.

I wonder if there's any good cheap wire that's even better than the Mogami that's around the same price. So far I've heard of Belden, Gotham and a few others...don't know much about them. It seems the DIY people only use Canare or Mogami.

BTW that cable in the link has a fair price. You're paying a little for labor obviously, but for many it's worth it. Making it yourself (with the same DHC) would only save you less than $40 probably.

nice piece. what cha thunk of cryo'd mogami neglex 2534 at $2.09/ft sold at a canadian online retailer here. i've been vacillating btwn just a normal 2543 at $1/ft & tis cryo stuff a 2x the price. grant at a 10ft length, its only $10 more! LOL. anyone here have any experience with cryo treated cable as opposed to normal?

ps:$9 shipping for a $13 items seems a tad #$%@ up fo sho! LOL

May 16, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #3,268 of 46,535

Quote:
nice piece. what cha thunk of cryo'd mogami neglex 2534 at $2.09/ft sold at a canadian online retailer here. i've been vacillating btwn just a normal 2543 at $1/ft & tis cryo stuff a 2x the price. grant at a 10ft length, its only $10 more! LOL. anyone here have any experience with cryo treated cable as opposed to normal?

ps:$9 shipping for a $13 items seems a tad #$%@ up fo sho! LOL

I've personally heard improvements from cryo'd cables (mostly in speed). Both Jena copper and DHC silver. I'd go for that if there's such a small price difference.

May 16, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3,269 of 46,535
i was listening to my headphones for abit with the volume down and it was just so bland i turned it to half way on my amp and yeah who would of thought the headphones came alive and really did improve all over.

May 16, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #3,270 of 46,535

Quote:
Quote:

When I changed out the stock LCD-2 cable to the Norse cable it was like an epiphany it was not a subtle difference it was like WOW and I used to be a cable disbeliever...

Most of my interconnect cables are blue jeans they make some fine cheap quality cables

Same here. Probably the only time I was able to tell the difference in SQ when swapping cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back