Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 16, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #3,271 of 46,554
I can't tell the difference between speaker cables at all (yet). I don't know why this is so different for me with headphone cables, but it could be due to how I only have $200/each JBL Northridge speakers.. I also haven't been able to yet tell the difference between interconnect cables I own for my amps. Some Cardas cable (I got for free) and Monoprice cable. I plan on making some new interconnect cables, so I'll try again.

So my point is that I never could tell a difference between cables in the past until I changed headphone cables. Weird huh? I've become such a fan of this cheap Mogami stuff I might see if I can make some speaker cable out of it and see how it goes.

For my speakers right now I'm using some thicker gauge blue wire I found in the auto section. Mostly because two years ago everyone told me there is ZERO difference between it and the expensive Monster Cable  Sounds fine to me.

BTW based on my experiences, most of the stock cables are not very good. K702 cable isn't bad and the HD-650 cable isn't as bad as I originally thought. The HD-598's stock cable is just dreadful compared to the cable upgrade I did. If anyone heard the 598 with Mogami they wouldn't be buying the HD-600
regular_smile%20.gif
I wish I was making that up.

May 16, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #3,272 of 46,554
You're not alone, I cannot tell the difference between speaker cables myself. I couldn't tell the difference between a lot of other headphone cables as well(lcds being the only exception).

Oops put headphones instead of cables.

May 16, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #3,274 of 46,554

Quote:
650 is the worst headphone for me , uncomfortable, too fat bass and the sound is not bright

You're in the wrong thread.

May 16, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #3,276 of 46,554

Quote:
650 is the worst headphone for me , uncomfortable, too fat bass and the sound is not bright

cant comment much on fit & comfort (though i've had far worst), my 650s are far from fat, bassy & dull (as in not bright). i know its become fairly cliche'd over these parts but what u've just described is the classic example of an underamp'd 650.

though not anywhere close to optimal, my 650 is quick, punchy, detailed with sweet foward mids. what it does lack to my ears atleast, is absolute clarity, extension (ie rolloff highs) & articulation. im planning on a diy recable to cure some of that while the rest im sure can be had via a good balanced rig.

& yes your prolly barking up the wrong tree over here. heh 

May 17, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #3,277 of 46,554

Quote:
cant comment much on fit & comfort (though i've had far worst), my 650s are far from fat, bassy & dull (as in not bright). i know its become fairly cliche'd over these parts but what u've just described is the classic example of an underamp'd 650.

though not anywhere close to optimal, my 650 is quick, punchy, detailed with sweet foward mids. what it does lack to my ears atleast, is absolute clarity, extension (ie rolloff highs) & articulation. im planning on a diy recable to cure some of that while the rest im sure can be had via a good balanced rig.

& yes your prolly barking up the wrong tree over here. heh 

x2 Scottiebabie!

I remember when I first got my 650's.. mmm I still had some hair then (7 year ago anyway), I remember thinking they were very soft and refined sounding, or "dull" as some have described. I soon realised that they were in a better league to the rest of my rig. So everytime I have upgraded my amp or source since then, they have improved. Infact, improved so much now, that I'm pretty confident that you could match them with an amp 10 times the price and they will still stand their own! They are a great hp' for testing equipment.     

I've bought and sold quite a few hp's since owning my 650's but they are still the best I've heard. I'll always have them. I think my 650's are the old type.. so I do want to try the later version at some point.  

edit. I've done some research... and it only turns out that I have the new type! silver metalic driver n all... well I never! must have been 2005 when I got em not 04, probably the first lot of the newer version. (sorry just pratling on to myself ha ha)

May 17, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #3,278 of 46,554

Quote:
Same here. Probably the only time I was able to tell the difference in SQ when swapping cables.

Absolutely, I have found a more dramatic effect when swapping headphone cables than say interconnects or indeed speaker cables

May 18, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #3,279 of 46,554
Just got my 650s in the mail, plugged them into my new KICAS amp, and was shocked and disappointed that the amp does not seem to be *nearly* powerful enough for these. I have to turn it up to max just to hear it. They sound very nice, but i can tell they want more power. Argh! Gonna have to find a new amp ... I can tell this never ends. What's a good amp for these for around $5-600?

May 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #3,280 of 46,554

Quote:
Just got my 650s in the mail, plugged them into my new KICAS amp, and was shocked and disappointed that the amp does not seem to be *nearly* powerful enough for these. I have to turn it up to max just to hear it. They sound very nice, but i can tell they want more power. Argh! Gonna have to find a new amp ... I can tell this never ends. What's a good amp for these for around $5-600?

Burson Audio HA160

May 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #3,281 of 46,554
Quote:

That sounds weird.  What's your source?  Is it putting out a good amount of V?  

May 18, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3,282 of 46,554
Quote:
What's your source?  Is it putting out a good amount of V?

Pure i20 DAC ... no idea how much V (volts?) it puts out ... does power come from the source, I thought it came from the amp?
I'm listening to the 650s through my Rotel receiver and they kick ass! Soooooo smooth, really incredible. I'm just gonna leave them hooked up in the living room for now, save for a better headphone amp. I can tell these need a lot of power.

The Burston looks interesting, people seem to like them a lot. Maybe that's a good place to start. I don't have enough to spend on a good amp and DAC, I can either get a good amp and no DAC, or vice versa, or get a mediocre combo. ...

May 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3,284 of 46,554

Quote:
Pure i20 DAC ... no idea how much V (volts?) it puts out ... does power come from the source, I thought it came from the amp?
I'm listening to the 650s through my Rotel receiver and they kick ass! Soooooo smooth, really incredible. I'm just gonna leave them hooked up in the living room for now, save for a better headphone amp. I can tell these need a lot of power.

The Burston looks interesting, people seem to like them a lot. Maybe that's a good place to start. I don't have enough to spend on a good amp and DAC, I can either get a good amp and no DAC, or vice versa, or get a mediocre combo. ...

my fav amp for the 650s is a vintage Pioneer SA7500 & they sound fab. a recable is next on my to-do list with prolly a cryo mogami. these things are so forgiving that it really doesnt matter which DAC is used (within reason ofcos). the amps more important in bringing it out of the proverbial closet.

May 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #3,285 of 46,554

Quote:

I used to have that amp and it was reasonably powerful (enough to power the HD650s). Your dac might be outputting at 1V, you may want to check the specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back