Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 9, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #3,151 of 46,499
^ Just sounds like he likes his headphones.

How much do you like your HD-650 headphones? I like mine this much:

[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>

Sorry, I'm not good at graphs

jecklinsmile.gif

May 9, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #3,152 of 46,499
sorry that was so over the top but this is ''Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!!'' not trolling apprecaition thread.

im enjoying my headphones after a hard week.

Since settling on my listening gear for the next few years (HD650, Asgard, iPod Classic w/z-Dock) I have reallocated about 99% of my Head-Fi.org time toward listening to music instead. Very satisfying.

May 9, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3,153 of 46,499

Quote:

Hi pp312, I see you've been getting some new phones...was reading a lcd2 thread and you popped up ha ha.

How are they in comparison to the 650's? are they good enough to replace them..? or are they a nice contrast, like what I use my RS1's for. 

Ofcourse this is the 650 appreciation thread, but I know how much you like the 650's so I value your opinion in comparison.  

Cheers

May 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #3,154 of 46,499
Hi pp312, I see you've been getting some new phones...was reading a lcd2 thread and you popped up ha ha.

How are they in comparison to the 650's? are they good enough to replace them..? or are they a nice contrast, like what I use my RS1's for. 

Ofcourse this is the 650 appreciation thread, but I know how much you like the 650's so I value your opinion in comparison.  

Cheers

The LCD-2's are in a different class than the 650's not really a fair comparison.

May 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #3,155 of 46,499

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

The LCD-2's are in a different class than the 650's not really a fair comparison.

I just want to know if they are a good upgrade from he 650's. We've all loved the 650's for years and probably will for years to come! but could the LCD2's be a better upgrade option (from the 650's) than say the hd800's for instance? The reason I'm asking pp312 is because he is listens to classical music same as me.   

May 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #3,156 of 46,499
Today I received my balanced 4 pins XLR cable for my HD 650, I probably end my upgrade until I got big buck again.

According to my Amp specification running on XLR mode suppose to add +14dB, so it is definitely louder than single end output.

Not sure it is the louder volume, but the bass gotten better and the mid as well.  To simplify my initial impression, balanced offers some nice twist to the music as to single end.  Maybe if you guys got a chance to audition a balanced HD 650 probably change your impression on this headphone, I don't have a balanced DAC but the amp and headphone is balanced is probably good enough for me (mp3/FLAC files).

If the sounds change in the future I will post back, for now that is
o2smile.gif

May 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #3,157 of 46,499
Quote:
Today I received my balanced 4 pins XLR cable for my HD 650, I probably end my upgrade until I got big buck again.

According to my Amp specification running on XLR mode suppose to add +14dB, so it is definitely louder than single end output.

Not sure it is the louder volume, but the bass gotten better and the mid as well.  To simplify my initial impression, balanced offers some nice twist to the music as to single end.  Maybe if you guys got a chance to audition a balanced HD 650 probably change your impression on this headphone, I don't have a balanced DAC but the amp and headphone is balanced is probably good enough for me (mp3/FLAC files).

If the sounds change in the future I will post back, for now that is
o2smile.gif

Hope you make it to the next NY head-fi meet so I can finally hear a balanced 650 set up.

May 10, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #3,158 of 46,499
Today I made a new cable for my HD-650. Last time I made one with Canare and ended up liking it at first, but it took me awhile to figure out it's problems with the HD-650. It really smoothed over the treble too much on the HD-650 and made the sound less clear and I'm not sure why. I had the same results when using the Canare with my DJ100 and that has a similar signature. Ended up recabling that with Mogami too and the sound cleared up.

I can confirm that Mogami is a better match to my ears compared to the Canare for the HD-650. It doesn't kill the highs and sounds much more clear. I'll compare it to stock cable more later. Seems more detailed, but those are just early impressions. Right now it doesn't feel like it has changed the HD-650's signature much, which is what I want.

If you're looking for a new cheap cable, build one with Mogami! It's cheap and pretty good. 50% of the costs go to the Cardas connectors though. I think it cost me around $30-$35. A huge percentage went to shipping.

May 10, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #3,159 of 46,499
If you really want to hear what the 650s can do. Get a decent cable and take the connectors off the end then take the screens off the outside you will see 2 little posts brass color. Solder the bare wires on to these connectors pulling the wire through the hole where the origanl connectors. Then use some hot melt to seal them so the cable wont pull out. Down side you can not change cables this is hard wired to the headphones. Up side they sound wonderful not for the faint of heart. I have several pair and perfer this pair to any I have ever listened to by far.

May 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #3,160 of 46,499

Sounds scary. I might consider this when I get really good at building cables. So far I've now recabled about 4 headphones and my soldering skills are still only average. Mini-XLRs give me problems and I hate those things. One headphone I'd love to recable is the K601, but I'd have to drill a hole in it probably.

BTW been listening to the Mogami for about an hour now and can't believe how much better it sounds than stock cable. Not a super huge difference, but definitely an improvement.
Quote:
If you really want to hear what the 650s can do. Get a decent cable and take the connectors off the end then take the screens off the outside you will see 2 little posts brass color. Solder the bare wires on to these connectors pulling the wire through the hole where the origanl connectors. Then use some hot melt to seal them so the cable wont pull out. Down side you can not change cables this is hard wired to the headphones. Up side they sound wonderful not for the faint of heart. I have several pair and perfer this pair to any I have ever listened to by far.

May 11, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #3,161 of 46,499

Quote:
I just want to know if they are a good upgrade from he 650's. We've all loved the 650's for years and probably will for years to come! but could the LCD2's be a better upgrade option (from the 650's) than say the hd800's for instance? The reason I'm asking pp312 is because he is listens to classical music same as me.   

The LCD2 is better than the HD650 in every way imaginable. I've recently had the chance to A/B them for a few hours using the same amp, and the LCD2 just the HD650 away. Of course, I was listening to only female vocals (which is my favorite genre) if that might be a factor. But yeah, afterwards, I had to listen to my Grado SR60 for several days before the HD650s sounded good again. I wanted to cry.

May 11, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #3,162 of 46,499

Quote:
The LCD2 is better than the HD650 in every way imaginable. I've recently had the chance to A/B them for a few hours using the same amp, and the LCD2 just the HD650 away. Of course, I was listening to only female vocals (which is my favorite genre) if that might be a factor. But yeah, afterwards, I had to listen to my Grado SR60 for several days before the HD650s sounded good again. I wanted to cry.

ha ha thanks for that, right I'm going to stop thinking about them... its not going to happen. In fact the LCD2's don't exist..
redface.gif

May 11, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #3,163 of 46,499

Quote:

Cheers

Okay, since everyone else has had a go at answering the question addressed to me, I'll now have a go.
tongue.gif

I'll be as honest as I can. I had a bit of acclimatizing because the 650 has certain virtues that are unique to it, and as I said in another thread it can be as hard to give up as smoking. At first I found the LCD-2 a little bright, with a somewhat "exposed" treble, and a sound that seemed to stand away compared to the 650. Clearly the soundstage was wider and more open, and the sound very smooth and more extended at both ends, but I still didn't immediately warm to it. During A/Bing I wasn't sure for a while if the LCD-2 even had lower listener fatigue, since this is a strong point of the 650.  In fact I have to say I'm still acclimatizing to some degree, but I've come far enough to recognise the LCD-2's clear superiority in certain key areas and that, having recognised them, I couldn't go back to the 650. Put simply, the LCD-2 just sounds more like music. It seems to unravel the threads the 650 is not able to and open the music up, not in the sense of dissecting it (though inevitably there's a little of that) but of laying out orchestral colours and timbres better. I will never knock the 650 at its price range as I think it's unbeatable and unique. It has a brilliant balance and a way of presenting the music that's always easy to listen to, and one of the least palatable facts about moving up is that what you move up to is unlikely to be as flattering to the music as the 650. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the 650 represents a plateau that most people need not contemplate crossing; you could easily remain there and be happy for years, or at least until Sennheiser comes up with the HD700. But if you begin to feel, as I did, that you're not hearing the orchestral timbres clearly enough, that you can't picture the orchestra in front of you with the holographic clarity you crave, then yes, the LCD-2 is the obvious next step (in fact maybe the only one, given reports of the brightness of rival phones). It won't give you an orchestra in your own longe-room--I've just about given up on that dream--but it will allow you to imagine one with less effort.

However, for anyone contemplating a purchase there are other factors. The LCD-2 is heavy. It's damn heavy and nothing is going to change that. It clamps hard. That will probably be ameliorated by time, but the LCD will never be a comfortable, forget-it's-there experience like the 650 is after the clamping wears off. This is an important factor I'm still coming to terms with. Another is that the LCD is unlikely to be resilient. It's built well enough, but still in a homemade way, and I can't imagine these phones surviving too many of those experiences where you jump up to answer the phone and have them ripped off your head. They might fare better than the 650 if you sat on them maybe (though you wouldn't!), but don't drop them on any parquet floors.

This might sound trivial, but it's a factor to consider, especially for $900. In fact $900 is a factor to consider. I would only encourage someone to move up to the LCD from the 650 if they really put sound quality top of the list, above price, practicality and even comfort. And don't expect too much, because even though they are a significant step up from the 650, it's not quite that quantum leap people are always talking about.

And definitely try to hear them first if at all possible.

(Oh, I should add that I don't have a Schiit Lyr or any other fancy amp. That's another $500, which is something else I don't have. Another factor about moving up is that your ancilliaries sometimes have to move up too).

May 11, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #3,164 of 46,499

Quote:
Okay, since everyone else has had a go at answering the question addressed to me, I'll now have a go.
tongue.gif

I'll be as honest as I can. I had a bit of acclimatizing because the 650 has certain virtues that are unique to it, and as I said in another thread it can be as hard to give up as smoking. At first I found the LCD-2 a little bright, with a somewhat "exposed" treble, and a sound that seemed to stand away compared to the 650. Clearly the soundstage was wider and more open, and the sound very smooth and more extended at both ends, but I still didn't immediately warm to it. During A/Bing I wasn't sure for a while if the LCD-2 even had lower listener fatigue, since this is a strong point of the 650.  In fact I have to say I'm still acclimatizing to some degree, but I've come far enough to recognise the LCD-2's clear superiority in certain key areas and that, having recognised them, I couldn't go back to the 650. Put simply, the LCD-2 just sounds more like music. It seems to unravel the threads the 650 is not able to and open the music up, not in the sense of dissecting it (though inevitably there's a little of that) but of laying out orchestral colours and timbres better. I will never knock the 650 at its price range as I think it's unbeatable and unique. It has a brilliant balance and a way of presenting the music that's always easy to listen to, and one of the least palatable facts about moving up is that what you move up to is unlikely to be as flattering to the music as the 650. In fact I'd go so far as to say that the 650 represents a plateau that most people need not contemplate crossing; you could easily remain there and be happy for years, or at least until Sennheiser comes up with the AD700. But if you begin to feel, as I did, that you're not hearing the orchestral timbres clearly enough, that you can't picture the orchestra in front of you with the holographic clarity you crave, then yes, the LCD-2 is the obvious next step (in fact maybe the only one, given reports of the brightness of rival phones). It won't give you an orchestra in your own longe-room--I've just about given up on that dream--but it will allow you to imagine one with less effort.

However, for anyone contemplating a purchase there are other factors. The LCD-2 is heavy. It's damn heavy and nothing is going to change that. It clamps hard. That will probably be ameliorated by time, but the LCD will never be a comfortable, forget-it's-there experience like the 650 is after the clamping wears off. This is an important factor I'm still coming to terms with. Another is that the LCD is unlikely to be resilient. It's built well enough, but still in a homemade way, and I can't imagine these phones surviving too many of those experiences where you jump up to answer the phone and have them ripped off your head. They might fare better than the 650 if you sat on them maybe (though you wouldn't!), but don't drop them on any parquet floors.

This might sound trivial, but it's a factor to consider, especially for $900. In fact $900 is a factor to consider. I would only encourage someone to move up to the LCD from the 650 if they really put sound quality top of the list, above price, practicality and even comfort. And don't expect too much, because even though they are a significant step up from the 650, it's not quite that quantum leap people are always talking about.

And definitely try to hear them first if at all possible.

(Oh, I should add that I don't have a Schiit Lyr or any other fancy amp. That's another $500, which is something else I don't have. Another factor about moving up is that your ancilliaries sometimes have to move up too).

Thanks for the candid assessment there pp312. I'm quite content with HD650, but the glowing reviews these orthos garner make them hard to resist at times. Comfort is a very important consideration for me though, and I also could do with not having to worry about the resilience of such an expensive headphone. This is why I've not made the plunge yet (not sure if I ever will). I do have a Lyr on the way, leaving that door slightly ajar.

May 11, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #3,165 of 46,499
@tdockweiler

As a relatively inexperienced owner of the HD650 and new member to this community I found the whole discussions about cables fascinating but at the same time also very puzzling. As a scientist I believe in randomised control trials where results are statistically replicable. So here is my question. Is someone swapping the cables for you without your knowledge, so it is some form of blinded experiment?  I did this with the E9 vs E7 alone and there the differences were totally obvious. This is easier to do of course than to swap cables back and forth but I just wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Quote:
Today I made a new cable for my HD-650. Last time I made one with Canare and ended up liking it at first, but it took me awhile to figure out it's problems with the HD-650. It really smoothed over the treble too much on the HD-650 and made the sound less clear and I'm not sure why. I had the same results when using the Canare with my DJ100 and that has a similar signature. Ended up recabling that with Mogami too and the sound cleared up.

I can confirm that Mogami is a better match to my ears compared to the Canare for the HD-650. It doesn't kill the highs and sounds much more clear. I'll compare it to stock cable more later. Seems more detailed, but those are just early impressions. Right now it doesn't feel like it has changed the HD-650's signature much, which is what I want.

If you're looking for a new cheap cable, build one with Mogami! It's cheap and pretty good. 50% of the costs go to the Cardas connectors though. I think it cost me around $30-$35. A huge percentage went to shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back