Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2,941 of 46,499
The clamp fix has been mentioned several times in this very thread. Guys, no offense, but please search before asking! It's much quicker and avoids unnecessary repetition.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,942 of 46,499

Quote:
The clamp fix has been mentioned several times in this very thread. Guys, no offense, but please search before asking! It's much quicker and avoids unnecessary repetition.

My mistake. Just joined the forum and got carried away. Found the search button now and some answers. Thanks.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #2,943 of 46,499

Quote:
Just got my brand new HD650.
bigsmile_face.gif
First thing I noticed is the rather tight clamp compared to my 4 year-old HD595. I think that the HD595 felt similarly tight when I got them but just wanted to get some opinion. I wasn't going to stretch them too much as I read somewhere that the paint can drop off on the head band. Any opinions on that would be appreciated.

The HD650 was certainly a lot snugger than the HD600 or HD580.  I don't recall they were ever as snug when new, but that was a long time ago and they might have been.  You can remove the metal extensions from the headband after removing the stops, which is something you might do eventually to replace the headband cushion.  This would avoid any chance of pressure on the headband when bending the metal out, but isn't really necessary

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2,944 of 46,499

Quote:
Just got my brand new HD650.
bigsmile_face.gif
First thing I noticed is the rather tight clamp compared to my 4 year-old HD595. I think that the HD595 felt similarly tight when I got them but just wanted to get some opinion. I wasn't going to stretch them too much as I read somewhere that the paint can drop off on the head band. Any opinions on that would be appreciated.

Congrats! and welcome. I went from the 595's to the 650's and have never looked back. Enjoy! (the clamp eases in time and they will soon become very comfortable.)

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2,945 of 46,499

Quote:
My mistake. Just joined the forum and got carried away. Found the search button now and some answers. Thanks.

Not a prob. Welcome to Head-Fi...fantastic choice for your first headphone. Be prepared to upgrade your ancillary equipment to bring out the cans' true potential :)

Quote:
The HD650 was certainly a lot snugger than the HD600 or HD580.  I don't recall they were ever as snug when new, but that was a long time ago and they might have been.  You can remove the metal extensions from the headband after removing the stops, which is something you might do eventually to replace the headband cushion.  This would avoid any chance of pressure on the headband when bending the metal out, but isn't really necessary

Having owned both the 600 and 650 (a couple) at the same time, the 600 was definitely the tighter of the two. The 600 actually have a narrower plastic headband top. Even after bending the metal strips outwards to reduce the clamp, the 600s were still tighter because they were limited by the smaller rigid headband.
The HD650s can be made very loose by following the instructions provided earlier in this thread.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2,946 of 46,499
My HD595 was never quite as tight as my HD650 is. But the '595 was used and had probably a hundred hours or more of wear time on it. I also got the '650 used but it was only a week only with more like ten hours use. Still, I think the HD595 is by design not as tight. And now that it's several years old and had a good bit of use it's downright floppy. Actually, I hope the HD650 stays a little more together five years down the road than the HD595 has.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2,947 of 46,499
Just had to come back and give a little more praise to these cans. I just bought a like new 5.5 gen iPod...Rockboxed it immediately and am listening to FLAC files through a Headstage Arrow. It's really hard to believe the sound quality (and that's with the HO as I don't have an LOD yet).

I need some IEMs or portable cans that sound as good as the HD650s for the $265 I paid for them!
rolleyes.gif

As others have said in this thread, these are hard to beat regardless of what you pay.....and yes I've heard some top tier cans.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #2,948 of 46,499

Quote:
My HD595 was never quite as tight as my HD650 is. But the '595 was used and had probably a hundred hours or more of wear time on it. I also got the '650 used but it was only a week only with more like ten hours use. Still, I think the HD595 is by design not as tight. And now that it's several years old and had a good bit of use it's downright floppy. Actually, I hope the HD650 stays a little more together five years down the road than the HD595 has.

I agree...the HD555 and 595 were definitely looser than the HD650 right out of the box.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #2,950 of 46,499

Quote:
No it's not pointless arguing. It's exactly as valuable as someone who "tested" and posted an OH MY GOD gushing comment about the enormous difference it makes. One could easily read most parts of this forum and conclude that everyone who gives a darn about their listening gear spends money on cable upgrades and hears huge differences. Or maybe they'd go read the angel on the head of pin stuff in the Sound Science section.

So once in a great while I post a comment saying that yes I care about good listening gear and no I do not and have not spend money on aftermarket wiring for that equipment. For every ten recommendation that say such stuff is an absolute requirement, there is one small voice saying no it is not. Better that that creating the wrong impression for newcomers.

I haven't jumped out of a 10th floor window or poured jet fuel in my car's gas tank but I know both of those are terrible ideas none the less...

I have to throw my hat in with the cable guys on this one. I upgraded from the stock Sennheiser cable to the Cardas and boy am I glad I did. The only drawback is that with the Cardas you pretty much have to remain still because it is very sensitive to movement. The stock cable is great if you move around a lot.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #2,951 of 46,499

Quote:
I've had my 650 since 2006. It was always a little uncomfortable. Recently I followed the advice on how to loosen. Worked like a charm. Super comfortable now. Thank you, headfi!!

All those years of avoidable suffering :wink:
Should have spent more time here.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2,953 of 46,499
I finally took the plunge, and am awaiting my HD650, E7, and E9 in the mail. I really hope they can live up to all the praise they've been getting.

You will probably not give a "WOW" response because the 650 has nothing that really stands out, but that's exactly it's strong point.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #2,954 of 46,499
I agree with canoners. The beauty of the HD650 isn't in your reaction the minute you put them on. It kind of builds as you listen for an hour and don't want to stop. Or when you listen to stuff you didn't particularly like all that much with your old headphone but now it sounds Wonderful. That kind of thing.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #2,955 of 46,499
Yea, I was a bit disappointed with them at first too lol. Then I started to realize that their strong point is nothing but the ability to wear them without getting tired of the sound and also the details they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back