Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2,612 of 46,500
I just got it and it also creaks :p

First impressions (plugged into Xonar DX/E9):

I don't get why people say it's laid bac to drivek. It's front enough to me.
This thing also doesn't seem that hard to drive. I get crazy volume with E9.
Highs are really good, the mids are crazy... I love it, I could hear more details in music with lots of layers. Low is a bit too boomy to my taste, crawls a bit to the mids and sometimes the details on the notes are lost.

Anyway, I'm still new to this. So what I hear might be wrong or I could be using the wrong terms to describe it.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #2,613 of 46,500
Whenever people say they're hearing boomy bass or a small soundstage on the HD650, it's a tell-tale sign that their DAC and amp are low-end. Don't blame revealing headphones for showing you what your system really sounds like.

I've seen enough people complain about this that I had to say it...

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #2,614 of 46,500
I'm not blaming the headphones. I know my DAC and amp are low budget, thank you for telling me again, I appreciate it.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2,615 of 46,500
Relax. It wasn't directed at just you...there are a number of people throughout these forums who complain of the same (and I used to be one of them).

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,616 of 46,500

Quote:
With slight head movements my HD650 makes a creaking sound where the metal extending from the headband swivels on the left housing. It breaks the otherwise great "disappearing" act these cans put on when worn. It's driving me insane. Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, it's a well know issue. Don't know about metal swivelling; in my experience it's caused by the moving plastic parts binding slightly, and can be cured by just about anything from a drop of oil to vaseline. Wherever two parts contact, especially plastic, try a single drop of machine oil.

If you're reluctant to do that, I think you'll find it passes in time, but it can be a while.  

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #2,617 of 46,500

Quote:
Yes, it's a well know issue. Don't know about metal swivelling; in my experience it's caused by the moving plastic parts binding slightly, and can be cured by just about anything from a drop of oil to vaseline. Wherever two parts contact, especially plastic, try a single drop of machine oil.

If you're reluctant to do that, I think you'll find it passes in time, but it can be a while.  

Thanks for the reassurance. I've had my HD650 for about 4 months now and I did initially attribute that sound to the plastic and other parts "breaking in". It has improved over time but the left side still creaks. It's apparent as I can shake my head about violently (not that I usually do when listening) and there is no hint of it on the right side. My annoyance had reached a boiling point and I was prepared to put these cans on ebay and try my luck with another pair. Looks like I'll have to put up with it for now, but it is somewhat comforting others have this issue.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2,618 of 46,500
Hi, just ordered my set of HD650s after many years of faithful service from my now retiring HD595s, I'm looking at ordering a WooAudio WA3 to replace the 1990s Denon AV receiver I currently use to power the HD595s, but I run analog currently from a Xonar D2X to the Denon, as the DACs in it are fairly terrible (technically rather than for the sound, as they are unreliable).  

Would the D2X be a sufficiently high quality analog source to do without an additional DAC and run straight to the amp, or is the step up from that, using something external going to be of a significant benefit?

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #2,619 of 46,500

Quote:
Whenever people say they're hearing boomy bass or a small soundstage on the HD650, it's a tell-tale sign that their DAC and amp are low-end. Don't blame revealing headphones for showing you what your system really sounds like.

I've seen enough people complain about this that I had to say it...

This is probably best said outside this thread. I'm sure most people here are aware of what these cans are capable of. If they're not, they soon will be.

The rest of Head-Fi however, is another matter. There is a predominance now of newer members vocally proclaiming their value systems as the absolute threshold before diminishing returns starts robbing you of your sanity. This is unfortunate, as I feel it dismisses gear that's just in the next bracket and from their posts I get the sense that to them these bare minimum components are as good as it gets. The outcome is that great cans like the HD650 are once again dismissed by those who haven't really heard what they're capable of. When you try to convey your experience to the contrary you get pegged as a shill or fanboy, or as an elitist promoting the big ticket items.

I'm very wary of the pitfalls of diminishing returns, but with my setup I don't think I'm quite at the cliff's edge yet. It's pretty obvious to me how well these cans scale and although I love the synergy I hear from my modest setup, the curiosity to see how far it can reasonably be taken always lingers. Not quite at the edge of the cliff, but perhaps just a step away.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2,620 of 46,500

Quote:
This is probably best said outside this thread. I'm sure most people here are aware of what these cans are capable of. If they're not, they soon will be.

The rest of Head-Fi however, is another matter. There is a predominance now of newer members vocally proclaiming their value systems as the absolute threshold before diminishing returns starts robbing you of your sanity. This is unfortunate, as I feel it dismisses gear that's just in the next bracket and from their posts I get the sense that to them these bare minimum components are as good as it gets. The outcome is that great cans like the HD650 are once again dismissed by those who haven't really heard what they're capable of. When you try to convey your experience to the contrary you get pegged as a shill or fanboy, or as an elitist promoting the big ticket items.

I'm very wary of the pitfalls of diminishing returns, but even with my modest setup I don't think I'm quite at the cliff's edge yet. Perhaps one step away.

Shahrose's comments are very valid and this is just as good a thread as any. Honestly, the HD650s are high end cans and I'm sorry, but the FiiO products are not up to snuff for these headphones...or the HD600/DT880/etc... (yes I have heard them
smile.gif
). Maybe the HD555, but not the HD650s. For crying out loud...a few years back the HD6x0s were one of the "kings of the hill" headphones that people were building B22s for them or purchasing $1000+ tube amps and dacs.

If someone is skeptical about the diminished returns...cool...save your money until you get to hear from first hand experience what you're missing.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #2,621 of 46,500

Quote:
Shahrose's comments are very valid and this is just as good a thread as any. Honestly, the HD650s are high end cans and I'm sorry, but the FiiO products are not up to snuff for these headphones...or the HD600/DT880/etc... (yes I have heard them
smile.gif
). Maybe the HD555, but not the HD650s. For crying out loud...a few years back the HD6x0s were one of the "kings of the hill" headphones that people were building B22s for them or purchasing $1000+ tube amps and dacs.

If someone is skeptical about the diminished returns...cool...save your money until you get to hear from first hand experience what you're missing.

I was actually agreeing with him. What I meant was that his comments should be echoed outside this thread to "educate" the masses.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #2,622 of 46,500

Quote:
I was actually agreeing with him. What I meant was that his comments should be echoed outside this thread to "educate" the masses.
wink.gif

I know...I was backing you and Shahrose up.
smile.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2,623 of 46,500

My new-to-me TPA Opus DAC has brought new life to my HD650's! Not sure what it is by they my perfect pairing right now.

I've pretty much ignored my HD650 sitting on the headphone stand after getting the W1000X's. I think with the warmer AMB Gamma2 they are a little lack lusters, now that I have the Opus they are back as my primary cans.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #2,624 of 46,500
Hey Now,

I can second that. I just recently got a pair of HD650s and with my Opus DAC > Balanced Roc it sounds terrific. I think I am going to thin out the herd of HPs now. I re-cabled with Blue Dragon balanced and I keep reaching for the HD650s. They also fit nicely, I can wear them for hours.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2,625 of 46,500
Well, gee I know. I just tried the 650 with other amps like the EF5 and it definitely sounds so much better, it's less slow and the mids gets even more clear. Sadly, I just can't afford all the expensive stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back