Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #1,908 of 46,499

Quote:
Just got my HD 650s finally after finding an amazing deal!!! Now for an Amp...

What deal? Where? I'm trying to find a good deal on it but can't find anything :s

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #1,909 of 46,499
whats your price range for the amp?

make sure not to go to cheap, the HD650 need and deserve a good amp.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #1,910 of 46,499

Quote:
whats your price range for the amp?

make sure not to go to cheap, the HD650 need and deserve a good amp.

I know what amp he got, but he probably wants to tell you. It's a good'un.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #1,911 of 46,499
So whats the general consensus here for burn in on the HD650?

I've had mine for 2 weeks now and I have listened to them for probably around 100 hours already. I haven't been keeping a log, but I have listened to them for at least 2-6 hours everyday, and some days I have put a good 8 or more hours on them. The only thing I have really noticed so far is just an overall increase of volume. The first few days I had my amp up to around the 11-12 o'clock mark at times, now the last few days I have been maxing out at the 10-11 o'clock mark. They seemed to have opened up and gotten more efficient(louder), but I haven't really noticed any drastic changes in the sound. My amp was also brand new. so I guess I am breaking in the amp at the same time as the headphones, so maybe the amp got a tad louder as its breaking in as well, i don't know. All I know is that I haven't noticed any earth shattering difference from one day to the next besides it seeming a little louder with the volume knob turned less.

I am very happy with the sound, and have been since I first un-boxed them, but is there anymore of a difference that I should be noticing or will be noticing as I go forth listening more?

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #1,912 of 46,499

Quote:
Just got my HD 650s finally after finding an amazing deal!!! Now for an Amp...

Zana Duex
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #1,915 of 46,499
Finally got mine on tuesday! :) got a great price from razordog deals (i'm from canada so they are all >$500 CAD. From razordog it worked out to be around $385ish after taxes.

Have no amp/dac yet but have a e7+e9 combo on the way (got a budget thing to hold me over for now) next step up would likely be an audiogd if they would release a FUN with the new sabre chips (fingers crossed) but even flac files unamped straight out from onboard sound the sound quality is amazing! Compared to my gaming headset (logitech g35 usb) it simply blows it out of the water! (i totally regret blowing over $100 bucks on these things I only use it for the mic for skype these days as it appears I have grown out of video games (none can hold my interest for longer than 3 weeks) and have since picked up an electric guitar. 

My only other decent monitor is the Triple.fi i had for bout 4 years which i think is dying on me (left bud beginning to crackle). To me, 650s have a much much wider soundstage and clarity vs the triplefi. Only thing I miss from triple.fi is the isolation since the 650s are wide open cans and my PC is an overclocked gaming rig with 10 x 120mm fans (it's probably overkill but i'm pretty paranoid about heat). The 650 can't block out the vaccum cleaner of a pc for now :frowning2: I'm hoping to pick up a laptop sometime soon (have my eyes on an asus U36JC when it releases up here in canada)

I'm definately happy with the purchase. It sure lived up to the hype! 

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #1,916 of 46,499

Quote:
Finally got mine on tuesday! :) got a great price from razordog deals (i'm from canada so they are all >$500 CAD. From razordog it worked out to be around $385ish after taxes.

Have no amp/dac yet but have a e7+e9 combo on the way (got a budget thing to hold me over for now) next step up would likely be an audiogd if they would release a FUN with the new sabre chips (fingers crossed) but even flac files unamped straight out from onboard sound the sound quality is amazing! Compared to my gaming headset (logitech g35 usb) it simply blows it out of the water! (i totally regret blowing over $100 bucks on these things I only use it for the mic for skype these days as it appears I have grown out of video games (none can hold my interest for longer than 3 weeks) and have since picked up an electric guitar. 

My only other decent monitor is the Triple.fi i had for bout 4 years which i think is dying on me (left bud beginning to crackle). To me, 650s have a much much wider soundstage and clarity vs the triplefi. Only thing I miss from triple.fi is the isolation since the 650s are wide open cans and my PC is an overclocked gaming rig with 10 x 120mm fans (it's probably overkill but i'm pretty paranoid about heat). The 650 can't block out the vaccum cleaner of a pc for now :frowning2: I'm hoping to pick up a laptop sometime soon (have my eyes on an asus U36JC when it releases up here in canada)

I'm definately happy with the purchase. It sure lived up to the hype! 

Can you tell me how it sounds with the E7+9?

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,917 of 46,499
I've had mine for a month now and to tell the truth, I haven't noticed to much of a difference.   They are so good out of the box  that any improvement in the "Break In Period" >cough<  seems minimal.  Ok, I would probably notice a difference if I had listened to the same cd over and over again but I've been listening to a great deal of different music from my library.   The sacd Darkside of the Moon to Moodfood to lots of Enigma and Mahler's symphony's and well the list is pretty long.   It's just crazy easy to wear them for long hours without getting tired or sore ears.    I have noticed a tightening of the lower frequencies over time.  A particular instance of this is with a recording of Saint-Saens Symphony no. 3 for Organ and Symphony orchestra.  In the second movement there is an organ passage that has a sustained pedal note of 28hz with a high string melody just dancing above it.   When I first played this through the 650's, that low pedal seemed to wander a bit and loose a little focus, submerging that lovely string melody in the bass frequencies.   Now, after a month I have replayed that passage and now the 28hz tone is rock solid, with space around it so I can hear the rest of the orchestra, especially that delicious string melody, hovering over and not submerged in the organ.  This recording by the way is a live performance of the Philadelphia Orchestra from the inaugural concert (2006) of the Fred J. Cooper memorial organ in Verizon Hall.  It's a sacd Ondine release.  Now the 650 takes it in it's stride so I guess a proper break-in is in order.    That doesn't mean I haven't immensely enjoyed listening to them since day one though.   On another note, do you think me "anal' for storing them in that neat box they came in instead of using a stand?  
redface.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #1,918 of 46,499
Hi, would anyone recommend me a little something?
I want to get hd650 and a decent amp and now i can't decide - should i get fiio e9 (i already have e7) or save up and get lehmann rhinelander.
Can you help me?

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,919 of 46,499

Quote:
I want to get hd650 and a decent amp and now i can't decide - should i get fiio e9 (i already have e7) or save up and get lehmann rhinelander.
Can you help me?

Why not go with M stage instead?  Its a clone of the Rhinelanders bigger brother.  I always enjoyed the HD650 more with tubes than solid state.  I found tubes can smooth out the "sizzle" or "fuzziness" in the HD650s treble regions.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #1,920 of 46,499

Quote:
Quote:
Can you help me?

Why not go with M stage instead?  Its a clone of the Rhinelanders bigger brother.  I always enjoyed the HD650 more with tubes than solid state.  I found tubes can smooth out the "sizzle" or "fuzziness" in the HD650s treble regions.

Thank you for advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back