Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #1,921 of 46,527
I just ordered some open box HD650s from Amazon from an authorized vendor. Also got the E9 to compliment my E7 from Micca's Amazon store. The E7 DAC is pretty good already and for my only other cans worth mentioning (PX-200, HD497, and most recently, Grado SR80i) - there's just no need for anything other than the portable DAC/Amp.

But this is my first real step toward financial ruin, as I suspect I'll never be able to go back to Jaybird BT cans for the gym or even the PX-200s. The Grados greased the slope.

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #1,922 of 46,527

Quote:
But this is my first real step toward financial ruin, as I suspect I'll never be able to go back to Jaybird BT cans for the gym or even the PX-200s. The Grados greased the slope.

Don't be so dour, I still love my Portapros right from my iPod. :D

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #1,923 of 46,527
Dec 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #1,925 of 46,527

Quote:
Quote:
Zana Duex
tongue_smile.gif

You mean Zana Deux? 
wink.gif

Google might smartly corrected it tho when he search.

Yeah that's it.  I almost didn't pass my typing class back in high school in which case i wouldn't have graduated-got a "courtesy D" .  That was basically before computers.  I am a bit better now but sometimes it bites me.
wink_face.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #1,926 of 46,527
I went to the local headphone store downtown, about ~100 km away, to try on these headphones. I have a pair in transition, but I wanted to see since I'm very anxious.

I was a bit underwhelmed. The problem was the size. Compared to the Denons, they looked ridiculously small. Even smaller than the HD 598s on display. They also weren't very flexible. It didn't seem like it would fit my head. I'll admit, the comfort was very good when I did get them on, but I was in a rush. They just felt a bit small and stiff, especially since I'm used to the Denons. 

Should I be worried? Or will it go away with time?

I honestly thought they were larger than this.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #1,927 of 46,527
If the clamping force is the problem, that definitely can be helped by bending the headband a little with the earpieces extended. I have a fairly large head and they fit me very well after bending them a little

Quote:
I went to the local headphone store downtown, about ~100 km away, to try on these headphones. I have a pair in transition, but I wanted to see since I'm very anxious.

I was a bit underwhelmed. The problem was the size. Compared to the Denons, they looked ridiculously small. Even smaller than the HD 598s on display. They also weren't very flexible. It didn't seem like it would fit my head. I'll admit, the comfort was very good when I did get them on, but I was in a rush. They just felt a bit small and stiff, especially since I'm used to the Denons. 

Should I be worried? Or will it go away with time?

I honestly thought they were larger than this.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #1,928 of 46,527
The 650 feels tight compared to some other headphones when you try them on but after a few weeks they fit like a glove.  I prefer to take off my glasses when I wear them though.  Since I usually close my eyes while listening, this is no problem for me.  YMMV.

I would suggest resisting the temptation to bend them and just wear them for a while.  If the pressure is extreme, they may not be the right headphone for you.  Bending them will permanently alter them and should you decide to sell them, it may affect their value.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #1,931 of 46,527
Dec 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,932 of 46,527
I'm hoping to join the club soon. I'm waiting to see if Newegg or Amazon will have them for $299 again on Christmas, and if they do, I'll try to get that price match offer from Music123 (makes them ~$260). I think I'm also set on getting a NuForce HDP, although there's still a possibility of getting the Audio-GD Fun.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #1,933 of 46,527

Quote:
The 650 feels tight compared to some other headphones when you try them on but after a few weeks they fit like a glove.  I prefer to take off my glasses when I wear them though.  Since I usually close my eyes while listening, this is no problem for me.  YMMV.

I would suggest resisting the temptation to bend them and just wear them for a while.  If the pressure is extreme, they may not be the right headphone for you.  Bending them will permanently alter them and should you decide to sell them, it may affect their value.

Pardon me, but this is nonsense. If the HD650 is thight, extend the metal-strips fully, bend the metal a little using soft force, and try it on. You can always bend it back if you want to sell it or if you skull gets smaller. Don't bend the plastic. Bend the metal. 

Detailed, illustrated clamping advice:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513852/hd650-clamping-advice

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,934 of 46,527

Quote:
Quote:

Pardon me, but this is nonsense. If the HD650 is thight, extend the metal-strips fully, bend the metal a little using soft force, and try it on. You can always bend it back if you want to sell it or if you skull gets smaller. Don't bend the plastic. Bend the metal. 

Detailed, illustrated clamping advice:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513852/hd650-clamping-advice

Well, looks like I have offended you somehow.  Let me assure you, I was stating my opinion, nothing more.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #1,935 of 46,527
Proud new owner here. My setup consists of alac files played from my MacBook via optical to my Audio-GD Fun dac/amp using the Earth opamp. The only other headphones of note that I've heard as point of reference through this setup is the MS-1i and ATH-M50 (now gone).

I had thought that my preference was skewed heavily towards the fast crunchy attack of the Alessandro. When I first received my M50, I understood the praise it garners on this site (especially considering the price), but I quickly concluded its sound signature wasn't for me. Going back to the MS-1i after burning in the M50 however, highlighted the Alessandro's deficiencies, namely its lack of extension into the lower frequencies. And although I still enjoyed the energy it conveyed, I started to suspect this signature was just a tad too "coloured" for my taste. I couldn't listen to my headphones anymore without criticising aspects of the sound and enjoyment of the music went out the window.

I received my brand new HD650 today after an anxious 2 week wait for shipping. Anxious because it was mainly an impulse buy and the negative comments about it being too "laidback" (whatever that means), boring and slow had me hoping I didn't deviate too much from the Alessandro signature that I enjoyed. I've only been listening for about an hour, so obviously no burn in, but initial impressions are of relief and contentment. I'm playing Exile on Main St. at the moment and the music just shines through. Strangely, and thankfully, as soon as I started listening to the fist pumping groove of 'Rocks Off' I stopped analysing the headphone's sound characteristics as the warmth and energy of this album just drew me in. By the time the stomping chorus of 'Sweet Virginia' faded out to that solitary handclap, I nodded and knew this was it.

There was no "WOW!" moment upon hearing the HD650, unlike the MS-1i which knocked me off my feet coming off generic buds and cheap cans. What was there though, was what I was looking for. The music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back